Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood - Plywood - Epoxy bond, re-building my ketch Tonga

Default Re: Wood - Plywood - Epoxy bond, re-building my ketch Tonga

A Stanley No 4 is a great plane,but it isn't a block plane.It will do a very good job and the 25 degree angle is for grinding,You will need to use an oilstone to achieve a working edge and the angle will be a bit steeper.The interesting thing is that the cutting geometry will approximate more closely to a low angle block plane as you approach a 38 degree angle on the oilstone.The question nobody ever seems to answer is what benefit there is to more or less empty space behind the cutting edge.Sharpness is much more important than absolute geometry and I hope you achieve good results with your No 4,I know of no better general purpose plane.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    A Stanley No 4 is a great plane,but it isn't a block plane.It will do a very good job and the 25 degree angle is for grinding,You will need to use an oilstone to achieve a working edge and the angle will be a bit steeper.The interesting thing is that the cutting geometry will approximate more closely to a low angle block plane as you approach a 38 degree angle on the oilstone.The question nobody ever seems to answer is what benefit there is to more or less empty space behind the cutting edge.Sharpness is much more important than absolute geometry and I hope you achieve good results with your No 4,I know of no better general purpose plane.
    This is what you need for controlling the sharpening angles.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Stanl...IAAOSwkklZmVRB
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thank you all !

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    That boom awning looks great Dody. Lovely work! It looks like my introduction to sewing will not happen quite yet as we are going a different direction for bunks (hanging cots, as suggested by Rumars) but I'll be looking for inspiration from you when the time comes.
    No worries, Chris, time matters right now for you and the quicker the result the better! I know you will start one day and nobody will be able to stop you once you get going

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    great work on the awning. looks like you can do it all..but if you keep this sort of stuff up you will be in port longer than 2 years! i know you are helping friends and probably paying it worward and that is always good.

jim
    jim, you are absolutely right with what you're saying. Trouble is I am incapable to let friends down, especially when they are there for me too. At least, nowadays, I have reduced it to a minimum and try to fit canvas-stuff in only when the weather is too hot outside (nice and fresh in my workshop), or too cold, windy and rainy (dry in my workshop). Also, sometimes a little change is quite nice so I'm doing myself a little favor too in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Awning looks great. We lived on a 55 foot steel boat in Papua New Guinea for a while. I made a simple but very effective shade awning using a straw coloured shade cloth. It came in a roll 4 metres wide. I made up cross supports using PVC plumbing pipe. Clamped the cloth onto the pipe with small quarter sections of the same pipe, screwed on through the shade cloth. Slung it over the boom and tied the ends of each pipe with lanyards down to the safety rail. Shade cloth lets the wind through, so it coped well with strong wind when neccesary. Easy to roll up to stow on deck when sailing. And that stuff lasts forever.
    That sounds awesome, also with clamping and screwing it down this way! Don't know if you have seen the material I'm partly using between my tent and the hoops - would it be the same material but straw-coloured? If so, where can you get it? So far I've only found it in green - well, that is Spain and Portugal. With straw-coloured I would have much more light available under my tent!

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Dody,
    Is the wood still hard where the component was bolted to it. If it is hard I think that they are just drying cracks. Some fastenings driven across the crack should fix it.
    Hopefully tomorrow (if I don't have to got to the vet with little Max) I would like to tackle what is needed with this frame before I install the knees. What type of fastener would be the best choice? I've got lag-bolts, screws (unfortunately none with a shaft left) and nails. Also, I've treated it twice with woodpreserver, is there anything I should squeeze into the gaps?

No a number 4 is a smoothing plane.
    This is a low angle block plane

The blade is set at a low angle, and "upside down" and the mouth is adjustable for very fine cuts on wild grain.

This looks like a knock off, but might be OK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULLY-ADJU...EAAOSwv-NWXyUb
    Whow, what a beauty!!! Thanks for the link Nick, but I really have to get me one of these!

Especially with tools, but also with a lot of other things I've learned my lesson that buying cheap is buying expensive, as in 99% of the cases it ends up in the bin and one needs to buy the proper one afterwards.

Hmmmm ... not sure if I understand this correctly. From Dave's video I understood that you can adjust the angle of the frog and with this, the angle the blade comes down. Something I would have to do if I change the angle of the cutting-edge, otherwise changing the angle of the cutting edge would not make sense at all.

How are people using planes normally and with what kind of angle on the cutting-edge?

Something in my head tells me the lower the angle, the less force is needed to cut, but it would also get blunt faster? Would one use different angles for different kinds of timber?

Also, with "grinding" you mean using a bench-grinder? Would this mean that it's not possible with a bench-grinder to get the edge to a 38 degree angle but a maximum of 25 degrees and one has to do the step from 25 degrees to 38 degrees with the oilstone? Or were you talking in general that the final sharpening needs to be done with the oilstone?

Sorry for all these questions, but I would like to understand what needs doing.

Planes, Planes and more planes.

Sharpening blades is a hobby unto itself. My expertise is a bit lacking, but there are many threads here about the subject. One old one that I had bookmarked included this link to the sandpaper method: http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticle...pening7142.pdf My only contribution here is to mention that most home centers sell granite tile for much less than a slab of float glass. The granite is just as flat, harder and the black stuff especially looks much cooler.

I'm not quite sure how the honing guide that Nick linked works. These should be easier to figure out:
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...78&cat=1,43072 The length of blade sticking out of the guide changes the angle.

Veritas planes are hard to beat, but a bit expensive. One handy little one that does a lot of small rough jobs very well is the Stanley small trimming plane, I also like the rather crude Stanley 118, an old bent steel 'boys plane', as in indestructible. ("Pressed steel design won't crack when dropped onto a hard surface")
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Thanks Dave! It feels like kind of scratching the tip of an iceberg for me right now and I think I will have to do much more reading to find out what plane is good for which job. And use it of course, coz that's where you best find out how you can handle it. What I do understand now is that a blockplane would be a really lovely and important thing to have. I did have a little peak around on ebay, but some of the prices seem to me quite stupid compared to new. And the worst thing is, I've kind of fallen in love with this one on the right (thank you for the links to Veritas!!!):

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...=1,41182,48942

Now, I've also found this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-Swee...wAAOSw8thZnJev

Thing is, the difference in price is negligible, I will have to pay import-tax and VAT on both when they arrive, usually shipping from USA is quite expensive compared to other countries and with the Veritas plane I could order the optional toothed blade without having to dig around everywhere. Also, with the Veritas I've got the option to order it with this PM-V11 steel blade, the Stanley would come with a standard A2 blade. Don't know if this really makes a difference with the blade though, but maybe it's true and it keeps its edge much longer. Something I would really appreciate!

The honing-guide Nick pointed out also confused me quite a little bit. I've got one of these simple modern ones which came with a Stanley oilstone and have been using it. Although, I must admit, with my chisels nowadays I only give them a quick wooosh on the oilstone without using the honing guide. As long as I've got the edge right and only need to re-sharpen a bit I can feel the correct angle when holding the chisel, so I don't bother. But I guess with blades for a planer there is quite some more accuracy needed.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    I'm not quite sure how the honing guide that Nick linked works. These should be easier to figure out:
    Here you go:

The hinged blade has two marks, one for the bevel, the other for the hone angle that are used to set the guide in the correct location on the blade. That one is set for the bevel. Once set and clamped on with the knurled nut, flip the blade back out of the way and go to it.

I've happened onto a way that works for me. I have an old Delta wet wheel unit... like the $$$ type but not really.. the wheel turns towards the edge. Anyway.. I do my chisels and irons with a wet hollow grind. (takes lots of time) then I hone on the the diamond plate. Working white Oak requires "scary sharp" tools LOL
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Finally! Got all the paperwork sorted and tonight it's gonna happen - I'll be going out fishing with Avo Ricardo, can't wait to be out there again, yipppeeeehhhh!!!

Here she just came out of the yard for maintenance (June 2017)

That's her last year before the yearly paintjob

Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    Thanks Dave! It feels like kind of scratching the tip of an iceberg for me right now and I think I will have to do much more reading to find out what plane is good for which job. And use it of course, coz that's where you best find out how you can handle it. What I do understand now is that a blockplane would be a really lovely and important thing to have. I did have a little peak around on ebay, but some of the prices seem to me quite stupid compared to new. And the worst thing is, I've kind of fallen in love with this one on the right (thank you for the links to Veritas!!!):

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...=1,41182,48942

Now, I've also found this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-Swee...wAAOSw8thZnJev

Thing is, the difference in price is negligible, I will have to pay import-tax and VAT on both when they arrive, usually shipping from USA is quite expensive compared to other countries and with the Veritas plane I could order the optional toothed blade without having to dig around everywhere. Also, with the Veritas I've got the option to order it with this PM-V11 steel blade, the Stanley would come with a standard A2 blade. Don't know if this really makes a difference with the blade though, but maybe it's true and it keeps its edge much longer. Something I would really appreciate!

The honing-guide Nick pointed out also confused me quite a little bit. I've got one of these simple modern ones which came with a Stanley oilstone and have been using it. Although, I must admit, with my chisels nowadays I only give them a quick wooosh on the oilstone without using the honing guide. As long as I've got the edge right and only need to re-sharpen a bit I can feel the correct angle when holding the chisel, so I don't bother. But I guess with blades for a planer there is quite some more accuracy needed.
    That is nice, but this is as good and better value. http://www.ebay.com/itm/stanley-no-6....c100005.m1851

Here you go:

The hinged blade has two marks, one for the bevel, the other for the hone angle that are used to set the guide in the correct location on the blade. That one is set for the bevel. Once set and clamped on with the knurled nut, flip the blade back out of the way and go to it.
    Thanks Nick, that sounds awesome and much easier and faster to set up than the modern clamp on Stanley-guide I've got!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    I've happened onto a way that works for me. I have an old Delta wet wheel unit... like the $$$ type but not really.. the wheel turns towards the edge. Anyway.. I do my chisels and irons with a wet hollow grind. (takes lots of time) then I hone on the the diamond plate. Working white Oak requires "scary sharp" tools LOL
    Thanks Denise, I guess you've been deep into woodworking for quite some years. Makes me really jealous, seriously!!!

That is nice, but this is as good and better value. http://www.ebay.com/itm/stanley-no-6....c100005.m1851
    Thanks again Nick! Does it not matter that it has this chip in the mouth?

all my life actually. I love restoration work. My son (rip) and I had a plan to open a small craft resto biz when I retired... well I'm retired, my house is over 100 yrs old too.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Denise, some of your comments made me believe something terrible has happened. You've got all my sympathy and I wish your wound to heal bit by bit over time and causing you less pain.

But, with a 100 year old house, and your lovely Ducker, there's no time to retire LOL!!!!

Honestly, I really mean it with being jealous! It is soooooo much nicer to do something with your hands and see a result after spending some time with it, and being capable to do all these nice things. It's not a given, one has to do something to get there. And it's impossible to catch up with life-long experience, unfortunately!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    Thanks again Nick! Does it not matter that it has this chip in the mouth?
    No not really, it is behind the mouth. The important bit is the flatnes of the sole and the front of the mouth, which is adjustable on that model.

If you want to buy Veritas tools you don't have to order them from abroad. There are many EU suppliers, here is the list: http://www.veritastools.com/Dealers/DealerList.aspx

Dictum and Schmid from Germany ship everywhere. I suspect the others on the list do to.

That was a tough 24 hours with maybe 5 hours sleep, but worth every minute! Back on board Tonga now, heading for my bunk to catch up with some sleep and dreaming of the dolphins that came to visit us and play with our bowwave, the millions of stars and and and. Little Max didn't go to bed while I was away, he took his job as captain very serious and stayed on watch, super-proud about it when I came back. More tomorrow after a bit of rest.

sounds like fun. did you work with the crew or just spectate? i bet work. was the catch good?

jim

Love the photos of Avo Ricardo Dody. Glad you got out on the water. Looking forward to hearing about it after you recover!
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Thanks jim, it was just for fun. I was really getting desperate to be out on the water again. These guys are working together for years and are a very experienced team. Whatever I would have tried, I would have slowed them down in the whole process and life for them is already tough enough. I've been out with them last year, but in the meantime they've made some changes and improvements, so it would have been even worse with me trying to help. The only thing I could do ... usually there is one guy watching the net when it comes up to move fish being caught in the net so they don't get damaged when going over the drum on the portside inboards and push it a bit to the side when it gets to the winch. Sometimes this can be a full-hands-on job. Last year I was watching at this station and saw a huge fish escaping the net while coming up. Because I saw him, they got him and still boast it was the biggest Pescado (Hake) they ever caught and tell everybody it was only because of me. Well, I wasn't the one who got him out, so ...

Thanks Chris! It really did me good and after a monster-sleep last night I was feeling full of energy. Funny enough, people told me this morning I was beaming when I stepped ashore last afternoon (I was deadly tired!!!) and look a different person today. Looks like stars, dolphins and the deep blue with sunshine make all the difference to me !

Nazaré/Portugal, August 2017, on board Fishing Vessel "Avo Ricardo"

This time my bunk was in the aftcabin, right behind the engine-room. I had tried to go to bed early to be able to get a little sleep before heading out to sea. It didn't happen. I was scared I might be snoring and keep all the rest of my mates in the aftcabin awake. Once they had all settled in their bunks, happily snoring away I thought whatever my noise when sleeping won't do them any harm in their much needed sleep, so I relaxed and managed to get an hour or so (they told me later there was no noise from me at all, good!).

I wanted to be on deck when we are leaving port, sailing into the night and leaving all these lights behind us.

Usually, Jose starts the engine, gently lets her get warm, then one from the forecabin and one from the aftcabin gets up to handle the lines and his whole crew goes back to sleep till we are close to the fishing-grounds.

This time I couldn't miss it. My bunk was 2 m distant from the open door to the engine-room. As soon as the engine started I got in my clothes and got up. We were leaving port!!!

There is no big cities around here. Soon after we had passed the breakwater I could see millions of stars in the clear sky of the night and even some shooting-stars, it was awesome!!!

A bit later I went up to the wheelhouse to have a little chat with Jose and found it quite interesting what modern electronics on ships can do nowadays.

20 Minutes before reaching the fishing-grounds Jose turned the lights on in both cabin, so everybody could crawl out of his bunks, get into his gear and have a quick nibble at something.

Time to get nets out. We set 2 different kinds of nets which will stay in sitio till next night, which took quite some time.

Once they were set, we moved to the set of nets they had in the water from 24 hours ago. Back to our bunks to catch up with some much needed sleep while one of us was on watch to get us there. It was only a bit more than 1 hour, but every single one of us was in desperate need for it. The lights went on far too soon, we were nearly there.

It was still pitch-black. We found the marker-buoy, got her in,

then the anchor, hauling in the line and after a short while the net. This one was set around 30 m deep and specialized for catching Linguado (Halibut).

It turned out there were heaps of little crabs, maybe 7 cm in diameter (3"), happily feasting on the fish caught in the net wherever the depth was less than 28 m. Of course, they too need nurriture, but it was sad to see that quite a lot of the Linguado got damaged by their want for food and destroyed for sale. Still, we got quite some of them out unharmed.

Each kind of net has a different way of getting stored, for two of them they use this method:

Next were the set of nets for Peixe Galo (John Dory), daylight had come nearly unnoticed

Last edited by Dody; 08-28-2017 at 08:05 PM.

amazing stuff dody. looks like hard work.

jim

Jose, Captain of Avo Ricardo. He was a professional Football-Player before he retired and asked if he could continue in his dad's profession and go on fishing with Avo Ricardo, doing all his licenses and Antonio, his dad, staying a few years over his retirement age to teach him all his tricks (his dad is a friend of mine for quite a while and the granddad was fisherman and also a very famous Fado-singer in Portugal, not the sad Fado but the lively one!)

Quim, Antonio, Oscar

Merico, the brother of the old Captain (Antonio) and Uncle of Jose

and here Fai-Fai getting the first Peixe Galo (John Dory) in. One's got to make sure the fish doesn't get damaged by the line when getting over the drum, so they all need a gentle little push from below

and have got to be pushed a bit to the side when they reach the winch

Now next trouble is to get them out of the net they are tangled in. This is one of the major changes they've done since I went out with them last time: one is standing on the other side, in this occasion Quim, and gets the net around the fish untangled (and sometimes out of the net like in this case), and normally the guys behind doing the rest of getting it out. Works much better and smoother than before, with a lot less damage to the net or to the fish.

Last edited by Dody; 08-29-2017 at 07:17 AM.

And that's how they look like:

This how it looks like where the net comes from the drum and the winch

and this how it looks like further aft

and here is the winch

and to prevent the net from catching elsewhere, they invented this

and when it works, they can use the hydraulics to pull - although this thing makes a lot of noise. To get a bit more fun out of it they have started to run the radio and listen to music, we started this morning with Bob Marley :-D!!

bit by bit, the sun came out. There was still heaps of mist around us, which gave some very special light, but blue sky over us, finally getting warmish, lovely!!!

on to the next net

it was around midday when we had this one in and time to move to another set of nets about 1 hours sail away. Eduardo was busy with his pots and pans and had a lovely and delicious meal ready for us

I had just finished eating, looking around on the water, enjoying the sunshine, when I saw a dolphin coming towards us. Hey my friend, what are you doing here??? Instantly he was joined by more

I couldn't stop watching, crying out with joy when they jumped, talking with them and they kept on going, laughing with me and playing

you can't imagine how happy I was!!!

Work wasn't finished, another set of nets had to be get in. Here is Quim waiting for stowing the next net, that's how deep these lockers are when empty

Suddenly there was an interruption. A speedboat of the ISN (Portuguese Rescue Services) came over, there was an emergency on a boat 2 Miles away and they asked us to be on standby and off they went

Know what this is? It's the ladder from the aftcabin up to the deck. For more than 30 years the top-rung has been used at the same spot many times every day and worn it down :-D!

The end of a long day is in sight

I turned around an then I saw this - the sparkles of the sun on the surface of the ocean, whoooooowwwww, how lucky can one be??? I had all three of them in one day :-D!!!

Once we had the last set of nets in it was sorting the fish according to size, clean them with seawater and clean the ship

We just got everything nicely sorted when the breakwater of the port came up

Heading into port Tropper was on his way with the replacement fish-crates and Mario with the ice.

It was a Sunday, so after unloading the catch every crate had to be filled with ice and went into the cooling-compartment of the Lota (the Fish-market) as there would be no auction today.

All done now!

It was short after 5 in the evening, we went over to the little Mini-Mercado with Bar, had a lovely cold beer in the warm sunshine with 80's music from the speakers and off I went to see how little Max was doing. It turned out he was in great form, super-happy that I "trusted" him being the Captain of Tonga, chatting away how it all went for him and super-proud that he didn't sleep for one minute but was on watch all the time. Well, you have to know there were 2 little cats, maybe half a year old, who wanted to play with him and distract him, but he resisted because he had a lot of responsibility to deal with! We had a quick meal, Dody a salad and Max some fish Eduardo had given me for him and off we went into our own bunk getting some happy and deep deep sleep. When they called me that dinner is ready I was already in dreamland and too exhausted to get out of my bunk again.
    Last edited by Dody; 08-28-2017 at 08:24 PM.

This is what you need for controlling the sharpening angles.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Stanl...IAAOSwkklZmVRB
    Thanks Nick, I won!!!! Sure, it still has to get to me, but in a way, at least very soon, I will be able to call myself the proud owner of a Honing-Guide, how awesome is that?

Only with the plane, I missed it. No hurry, the time will come
    Last edited by Dody; 08-30-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    If you want to buy Veritas tools you don't have to order them from abroad. There are many EU suppliers, here is the list: http://www.veritastools.com/Dealers/DealerList.aspx

Dictum and Schmid from Germany ship everywhere. I suspect the others on the list do to.
    Awesome Rumars, thank you! Today I worked my way through the list. Dictum and Schmid didn't have it in stock right now, a Spanish company had, but not with the blade I wanted, but Dieter Schmid (https://www.feinewerkzeuge.de/) had, and they had some awesome other stuff too - like these Japanese water-stones for honing etc. These kind of shops are always a big big danger for me, not only the time spent looking at all these nice things they have, but the temptation to spend a fortune! I've managed to control myself insofar as I stayed under 400 Euros and am mighty proud of myself. This is much much better than Christmas !!!

And when it arrives the next temptation I'll have to overcome: not to drop everything else and start with my floors so I can use my nice litte low angle blockplane ...