Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 213031
Results 1,051 to 1,054 of 1054

Thread: Re-building my Ketch Tonga (1960)

Default Re: Re-building my Ketch Tonga (1960)

Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    That's true, flats with different angles for each of the 3 (4) bolts. Still, it would be nice if I could manage to do it in the shape of the washer instead of cutting out a square piece.

It's on the bench and I've tried with chisels on the lowest of the holes, the one were the angle for me is the easiest to achieve, and it didn't go too bad. Not perfect but not bad. Just to give it a try I started with the second one. Free-hand I found it difficult to get the correct angle started and the same will be happening with the next one. I'll give it a bit more of a thinking-session tonight. Right now I think having some kind of a guide/straight-edge in miniature-format attached to the side would be something that will help me tremendously - but, the night is just starting and I might wake up with a better solution :-D!
    If you do not have a round gouge in your kit, use a smaller chisel and cut the pocket 8 sided (actually5 ) as if you were rounding a spar. You can check for squareness as you go by putting the nut on a short dowel or bolt that will slip into the hole as you pare the pocket down. You could even superglue a washer to the nut on your dowel for the correct diameter flat.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I can't abide the bilge, so I would rather drop this article here.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/story/...pacting-plans/
    "Sailing Totem: How Coronavirus is impacting our plans
    The spread of COVID-19 is having a major impact on cruising sailors’ plans."
    The single best resource for cruisers is Noonsite. They’ve set up a page which aggregates information for cruisers by region, then by country, with the latest information about port clearances and quarantine. It’s an incredible effort by the editors made possible through active updates by cruisers; if you have news, send to editor@noonsite.com, subject COVID-19, with the update and source.
    Last edited by MN Dave; 03-30-2020 at 11:41 PM.

Hi all,

I thought it's time to give a little sign of life. Everything is ok here in my little corner, I'm surviving quite well although the situation with Lockdown and all felt very strange. As I'm officially registered in the Porto da Nazaré I'm super-lucky and can move freely in the whole port-area, even walk on the beach belonging to the port, which is wonderful compared to everyone living in an apartment in a city. The social distancing was quite difficult as I could hear and see my mates starting their engines, unloading their catch, working on their boats and and and but we were all kind of isolated at the same time and stayed far apart from each other. The little cafe and minimercado here in the port stayed operational and had a plexiglas-window installed to hand out coffee etc. in tiny plastic cups, us standing outside keeping our distance, the fishermen from Nazaré trying to stay far apart from the Spanish fishermen from the big Trawlers or the fishermen from the North like Vila do Conde and Povoa de Varzim as there are still no cases in Nazaré. It didn't feel good so I started to brew my own coffee and stay away from it all. I never had a problem being on my own, never missed anything - be it at anchor for months on the Rio Guadiana without seeing a soul or be it out at sea. But this was different.

While people were dying and suffering everywhere something else happend that looks like a luxury-problem on first view but shook my whole existence to the bones. I am a liveboard-sailor which means my boat is my only home and I am at home where my boat is. I took some very basic things for granted. Things like the possibility to ask for help in a real emergency, to find shelter if desperately needed, or to stock up with some diesel, water and provisons after months at sea. In their fear of the virus authorities all over the world reacted to (understandably) protect their citizens and the law of the sea got wiped out. Suddenly there was no answer for help any more, shelter got denied or supplies. People got told "go back to your country!" - well, I haven’t got one, like many others, glad this didn't happen to me! I've meanwhile made my peace with it and will simply prepare myself even better, but I found it a bit difficult to cope with this fact.

The supermarkets were open and well stocked, but nothing else could be had so I had to sit down and wait. I kept up the contact with the cruising-community, tried to help where I could and started something I had on my mind for a long long time: find a new home for my Sailing Portuguese Waters Article. For ages I found it really silly to keep up hosting and whatnot for a single article to help cruising-sailors not to get into trouble on the Portuguese west-coast. I never wanted to have a Blog in the typical sense. Then the idea came to me to do something like a story-teller in the old days, something where I don't have any obligation to write in regular intervals but when I like it or feel like it instead. So, I started to set up a website for Tonga, Mr. Max and me, telling stories, true stories. About things that went on during our travels by land and by sea. There will also be a technical section one day. Just in case someone would like to have a look how far I got about these 18 years out, you can find it here: https://tongabonds.com/blog/ - happy reading! And yes, of course, I was sewing masks for my mates. At the pharmacy they were selling disposable masks in a packet of 50 for a bit under 50 Euros. Well, of course, no-one here is capable to pay 50 Euros just like this, so something had to be done.

Meanwhile things are easing up here, shops start to open again and I slowly found my joy working on Tonga back, working with my lovely chisels, the planes, the circular saw. I wanted to surprise you all with a photo of the knees in the corner and the one in the stern installed but the last 3 days everything kept going the wrong way, being topped this morning by my scaffolding suddenly feeling wobbly when I went up to start in the morning - because the weld on one of the uprights had rusted through. I still had a rescued old upright sitting in the corner, replaced it only to find out that the long drillbit I had was 6.5 mm and not the 5.5 mm I needed. In the end another day was gone and still none of the corner-pieces installed. Well, fingers crossed, it'll all be going smoothly tomorrow and finally some progress to show !!!
    Last edited by Dody; 05-28-2020 at 05:13 AM.
    fair winds, Dody
    "They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain
    www.tongabonds.com

Thanks for the update Dody. I was wondering how you were doing. Good to hear that you are getting by ok. And I'm now following your blog. Great stories! Thanks for sharing them.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!