Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rumars
    • Dec 2016

Re: Wood - Plywood - Epoxy bond, re-building my ketch Tonga

I didn't think you put new ply over the old deck. But sometime someone did, and when you changed the deck you respected the thickness you found, so now yo have a stronger deck.

The deck and hullsides do not have to be in some relation to eachother. Your vessel works like this: keel and deck are the flanges of an I-beam and resist up and down flexing. For this the hullsides only need to keep them apart. The hullsides resist torsional forces, hidrostatic pressure, puncture loads and so on. The stringers impart longitudinal stiffness and the frames and bulkheads transversal. They also divide the planking in panels and the smaller this panels are the thinner the outside skin can be, because stifness is provided for it. Case in point your vessel could use a 4mm skin with some semi-atached fiberglass. In a semi-monocoque like yours the skin also carries torsional loads, that's why you align veneers at 45° to the frames. The skin acts as a gusset or knee between stringers and frames. The fewer stringers and frames you have the thicker the skin must be because it carries more and more loads and needs to be stiffer to resist buckling, until you come to a true monocoque structure where there are no frames and stringers and only one or two bulkheads to keep the hullsides apart under the rigging stress because the skin carries all the loads.

The structure you have is proven to work with a 4mm skin. Increasing skin thickness does little. It provides more reserve in case stringers and frames break. You already have so many stringers that you sailed with a few rotten ones without problems. Thicker skin has better puncture resistance but your stringers are spaced so closely apart that it would matter only if a sharp pointy object like a piece of rebar would hit the hull exacltly between two stringers. For any other scenario your effective hull thickness is 50mm plus whatever skin you have. And if you smash your boat onto a piece of rebar 12 or 18mm plywood will not really make a difference considering the weight of the boat. Abrasion resistance is also increased but plywood is not great at that anyway. For this reasons I would stay at two layers of ply, it is already 3 times what was proven to work. It is a cost/benefit analysis after all, and a third layer does not bring much except increasing time and cost. Weight is not really consideration, the aded displacement will probably ofsett the aded weight. With carveel construction sometimes it even is a net positive because the timbers are not waterlogged anymore, but I suppose it's not your case.
    If you do stay with 3 layers of plywood then you can arrange the first layer at 90° to the stringers and the next two at +/-45° for a complete isotropic sequence. This is just best practice derived from veneer use since plywood per se is regarded as an isotropic material, but the 90° layer will require less spiling so it is worth doing it.
    Reread the ply-on-frame chapter from the Gougeons book, they also have rules that explain stringer and frame spacing.

Wishbone rigs were favoured when the boat was built because of the available materials. Today a boat like yours would probably be rigged as a sloop or cutter with a big roach square headed main, and be faster, pointing higher, and have improved handling. Just be glad that you don't have the wishbone anymore and have more sailarea.

I like the Melquiades design, but all Buehler boats are overbuildt. With metal and fiberglass boatbuilding what looks strong is probaly masively overbuildt. But that is often the case with amateur construction anyway. Not much of a problem on big boats who can carry the weight but smaller ones do struggle with it. On the other hand they do have inbuildt corrosion allowance with that plate thickness.

Comment

• Rumars
      • Dec 2016

I looked again at the Melquiades 50 design and Buehler does have a wooden version. For that he specifies a layer of 1.5" of wood and two layers of 1/2" of plywood for a total of 2.5" or 63.5mm. That would be consistent with your 50mm close spaced stringers and 12mm skin for a total of 62mm. Keep in mind his is a chined design with developable surfaces (flat panels) and your boat is round bilge and that is stronger than flat surfaces by nature. 18mm for the skin is just overkill, but it's your boat after all and if that makes you feel better it's ok.

Comment

• Dody
        Tonga!
        • Jun 2017

Re-building my ketch Tonga (1960)

Thanks for the explanation, it makes the whole thing much more transparent for me!

I just noticed we've got a bit of a confusion here, the stringers are 50 mm wide but only 30 mm thick. Together with 3 layers of 6 mm ply the result would only be 48 mm. But I'll re-read the section of the book, that's for sure!
        fair winds, Dody
        "They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain
        www.tongabonds.com

Comment

• Rumars
          • Dec 2016

Sorry the article said 50x50mm and I asumed it was right. But it does not really matter, if it was good with 4mm plywood it will be only better with 12 or 18mm.
          Btw. I still think that closing the gaps with tapered pine battens is better, it is simply easier to put the plywood skin on a continuous surface. That would also simplify interior fitout and painting and you loose all the grime catching corners. It's also stronger if that is your concern.

Comment

• MN Dave
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dody
            I just measured the thickness of pieces of the skin we took out. The Fibreglass under the waterline was between 9 and 11 mm, above the waterline between 6 and 7 mm. I've found heaps of Mahogany, but no Teak yet, it must be somewhere ...

Recalculating the structure would then probably mean to reduce weight but keep the same strength? If it's just about this I don't think it's worth it. On a boat with 22 Tons a few KG more or less don't really matter to me. Or is there more behind it?

Just for fun I've calculated the weight of 1 m2 of the fibreglass I took off and the result was 5 KG for 1 m2, this is without the 4 mm plywood.
            Fiberglass is probably more than twice as strong and stiff for a given thickness as plywood. Laying up 18 mm of plywood to replace 11 mm of fiberglass will... take me a while to work out? I am back to urging caution based on insufficient information. This should be thought through carefully. My inexpert opinion is that there is so much structure supporting a very substantial fiberglass shell on this boat that you could live without much of
            one or the other. 3 layers (18mm total) of plywood is probably more than adequate even if it is not as strong as the original 10 mm of glass.

I see a lot of thickness numbers here, some plans, some historical and some measured. There seems to be a discrepancy between the measured fiberglass thickness and the originally reported 2 layers of cloth.

Comment

• Dody
              Tonga!
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by MN Dave
              I am back to urging caution based on insufficient information. This should be thought through carefully. My inexpert opinion is that there is so much structure supporting a very substantial fiberglass shell on this boat that you could live without much of one or the other. 3 layers (18mm total) of plywood is probably more than adequate even if it is not as strong as the original 10 mm of glass.

I see a lot of thickness numbers here, some plans, some historical and some measured. There seems to be a discrepancy between the measured fiberglass thickness and the originally reported 2 layers of cloth.
              Dave, I absolutely agree with you. There are so many factors to take into account. As she's an old boat, no manufacturer will give you any definite answers if you ask them about their products. She is a amateur-built to own designs, so no shipyard will give you an answer. The only thing I can do is guesswork. For this guesswork I am looking for as many ideas, suggestions and exchanges I can get, because overlooking some important point can mean the failure of the whole project or my ship breaking up in mid-ocean.

My original idea was to estimate the strength of what is there, find out what would be more or less equal with the materials I am going to use and add a little bit to it for safety.

But it's not as simple as that. Obviously. So, the more information and ideas I can get the less I will overlook.

The guy who built her added more fibreglass after she was launched. I am sure he did that for a reason. To know more about this I measured and weighted the pieces which can give me, us, another indication about the situation.
              Last edited by Dody; 06-28-2017, 06:27 AM.
              fair winds, Dody
              www.tongabonds.com

Comment

• Rumars
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Dody
                The Fibreglass under the waterline was between 9 and 11 mm, above the waterline between 6 and 7 mm.

Just for fun I've calculated the weight of 1 m2 of the fibreglass I took off and the result was 5 KG for 1 m2, this is without the 4 mm plywood.
                Asuming the calculated 5kg/sqm are from the topsides with a thickness of 6-7mm there must be a lot of filler and paint there. 600g/sqm CSM/rowing complex handlaid with polyester would give around 1.5mm thickness and a weight of around 2kg. 450g/sqm CSM would give around 1mm thickness with a weight of around 1.5kg. 600g/sqm fabric would give 0.6mm thickness and 1kg of weight.
                Depending on the used type of fibre I come to a result of at least 8kg/sqm for a thickness of 6mm. For 10mm that is at least 13kg/sqm.
                Considering the poor adhesion to the plywood I don't think that the fiberglass contributed much to the strenght of the boat.

Dody if you look at the torn edge of the fiberglass it should be pretty evident what type of fiber whas used (woven or CSM) and sometimes even the layers are evident. Smack the edge with a hammer to shatter the resin if it's not clear.

Comment

• Dody
                  Tonga!
                  • Jun 2017

I just did some tests. It is a bit difficult to say as, the moment I bash it with the hammer, the edge kind of changes into a bunch of fibers of all different kind.

To me, from inside to outside, it looks like:
                  1. one layer of woven cloth (not the rough kind of woven but the finer woven stuff), which was directly on the plywood
                  2. one layer of filler, varying, between 0.5 and 2 mm thick
                  3. one layer of woven cloth like above
                  4. several layers of CSM, thickness varying, between 2 - 3 mm above the waterline and about 7 mm unter the waterline
                  5. one or 2 layers of cloth like above (this is kind of difficult to say, but I have the impression it is 2 layers)
                  6. some more filler and the paint
                  fair winds, Dody
                  www.tongabonds.com

Comment

• Rumars
                    • Dec 2016

Weird setup. Points 1-3 were the original layup presented in the article. 4-5 aded at a later point but why is anyones guess. Could be there was print-through from the plywood strips (starved horse effect), or aded abrasion resistance was desired, or sheer paranoia, etc.

Dody if you want you could buy Dave Gerr book Elements of boat strenght. The book is written for amateurs and has scantling rules so you could check out your boat. Or obtain some official scantling rule like GL or LR or RINA to check against that.

Comment

• Dody
                      Tonga!
                      • Jun 2017

Haaaahhhahaaaahhhh, what a coincidence!!!! I've just completed my order, got the confirmation, and 3 minutes later the info by email that you posted on this thread !!!

Right. I've just ordered 3 books: "The Elements of Boat Strength: for Builders, Designers and Owners" by Dave Gerr, "The boat Data-Book" by Ian Nicholson and "Skene's Elements of Yacht Design: The original Edition of the Classic Book on Yacht Design" by Norman Locke Skene.

I hope they don't take too long to arrive here, and I hope I will find some answers by reading them!

When I bought her in 1996, I asked him this question. It is too long ago now, but I remember there was something like too much flexibility in the hull or the hull not stiff enough or so, which he didn't feel comfortable with.
                      fair winds, Dody
                      www.tongabonds.com

Comment

• Dody
                        Tonga!
                        • Jun 2017

My new books still haven't arrived, but reading and most of the time understanding the "Boatbuilding Manual", and getting on with my deck still keeps me more than busy.

I've got something I am wondering about for a long time already, and still haven't been able to find an answer. What kind of thing is this, and what was or is the purpose of it? There were maybe 15 or more of them on each side. Every one a bit different to the other. For being old chainplates some of them were in very strange places. Giving additional strength to beamshelf, deck and frame maybe? Very strange is, that they were cut off - or ended - just below the last two layers of my old plywood-deck. However, I replace them everywhere (and also where they were not installed) with plywood-knees, bolted, screwed and sikaglued to the frames using the same boltholes, removing and replacing the spacing-wood to the frame where necessary.

fair winds, Dody
                        www.tongabonds.com

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                          Old Grey Inquisitive One
                          • Oct 2008

That is some weird construction inside your boat, and those bits of angle iron are no less weird than the timber framing.
                          They could have been badly designed chainplates from an earlier rig, but otherwise no idea.
                          It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
                          The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• wizbang 13
                            • Oct 2009

"some weird" Nick?
                            This is the goofiest built vessel I have ever seen,outside of boats like hawaiian and faith etc.
                            bruce

Comment

• Rumars
                              • Dec 2016

I bet those are the original stanchions of the boat. They leaked (of course) so they were cut of and aditional ply put over the deck.

Comment

• Phil Y
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2010

Or even a structure to support a big shade cover? Their positions would help to understand.

Comment

Working...