Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172627

Thread: Re-building my Ketch Tonga (1960)

It's a spa town. Long Italian name I can't remember now. Between Pisa and Florence.

Take a look at the floor tiles.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Mind-blowing stuff Phil! When I zoom in every single tile looks a bit different and the shapes change too! Who ever has done this did a wonderful job, thank you heaps for posting it!!!

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk
    fair winds, Dody
    "They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain

Sooooo ... seems it always takes a while with me till the obvious tickles in. Again I've got to thank Phil. And this time also my neighbour who, exactly the moment I climbed my ladder determined to start my combined varnish-paint-job stopped me and said "why don't you do it in Epoxy?"

"Pling" it made and I realized this is the only solution, simple and easy too. Especially as it's inside, no UV trouble, and with the thin lams (hopefully) no expansion-problems with cracking etc.. So I did it in Epoxy.

Today was preparing the next bit. I had glued some Kamballa together (with Collano Semparoc) to fill the gap between the knee and the outer edge of the transom-frame. With a big audience as everyone wanted to have a look at this piece before it gets hidden forever. No idea how many times I took it out again because someone asked me if he might have a look at it :-D!

I know it took me a tremendous amount of time to make it. Rumar's solution with a formed piece of steel would have been much much faster, or, for those fortunates who have, a crook with the right dimensions. Boatbuilding is not something on the fast side I learned, and one needs a hugge amount of patience from time to time, apparently. As it happened the slow pace allowed me to sort out some things of my life I needed to get sorted for a long time, so it turned into a win-win situation. Still a few distractions to deal with but most of it under control. And, as it is now, it's been and still is a lot of fun too!!!

Last edited by Dody; 10-08-2019 at 07:42 PM.
    fair winds, Dody

Default Re: Re-building my Ketch Tonga (1960)

Wow Dody - I think you need a plexiglass transom to show that knee off! Lovely.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

I agree with Chris! that is something worth showing off!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Nice work Dody, you should be well stoked with that job, to coin a phrase.

Hihiiii, thank you all, plexiglass, what an idea!!! Well, it would add a lot of light in the aftcabin and might provide some awesome views from time to time - breaking monster-waves for example will provide us watchers with whole new insights! And imagine if I should install a bunk in the aftcabin and then anchor in one of those mindblowing scenic bays at the playground of Amazon-Jim in Alaska, waking up with a view like this the moment you open your eyes without even having to move a finger, imagine this!!!

Well, I'm sure someone will invent a technique and/or materials to do something similar in the near future, and I love the idea, but I also love the idea to get her back in the water one day and sail off.

A few more days and I've got to go to Spain to catch up with my parents for a couple of weeks and also sort out something else. Mr. Max the cat will be in charge in my absence, so there is quite a few preparations waiting to be done. I don't expect a "home alone" situation ŕ la Kevin at all, but who knows? I managed to get Alec to free up some more space in my workshop, so some stuff has to be moved from the boat. My car is in the garage for oilchange and a new clutch. And then there is still this huge black & white cat I call Yoshi who would love to take over, constantly freaking out little Mr. Max ...
    I can't stand schedules, especially when they are tight. The plan is now to get the preparations all done and then make use of whatever time will be left for Tonga before I've got to leave. Right now I'd rather stay and get on with the job, but we can't always do what we want and it will be nice to see my parents again. I think it's 1.5 years since we've seen each other. Mum had a bit of a health issue and I got a little alarmed when my dad mentioned it could be the last time. Luckily this all got sorted and she's up and running again - well, that's what they say, who knows? I remember them telling me a year later that my uncle had died, because they didn't want to worry me at the time and I was too far away anyway. So, what should I believe? I'll find out soon I guess.
    Last edited by Dody; 10-09-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    fair winds, Dody

I have not dug out my old photos, but a FB friend did post some old pictures. Heres one from Penich, how i remember it on my first visit, before the beach dissappeared. I have to add a link to his FB page as i cant "grab" the photo. All rights reserved to Emmanual Berque.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...j9c2CoM9jtpSuo

How's it going Dody?

Thank you for asking Phil, it's not going at all. I spent 2 weeks with my parents in Spain, back for nearly 4 weeks now and one gale with heavy rain is hitting the next. Maybe calm and dry for an hour and as soon as you've got the tools out it's all over you again. So, I sit and wait. To kill time I knitted some Icelandic sweaters, better than sitting around and doing nothing. As "well organized" as I am of course I made an appointment for today to have my car fixed, only to find out that it's actually a lovely sunshiny day today where I could have started. And, because of a delivery gone wrong on Friday, I could only go to the garage in the afternoon, which means I won't have my car tomorrow to get the stuff I will probably need. Well, I guess this can only get better fingers crossed. At least it looks like the whole coming week looks promising, cold but promising
    fair winds, Dody

I think it's called momentum, or the lack of. Once you are working again you'll have several projects on the go and if one can't proceed for lack of materials or whatever then you can turn to another. My deck has stalled at the moment. It's all done and painted and deck grip on. But no fittings. She's tied to her berth by the shroud plates, because that's all there is. I think I'm scared of putting any holes in her lovely watertight decks. I don't trust Sika or any other sealing goops. And I have too many competing projects at home. Currently preparing a paddock to host a wedding for a friend of one of our kids in mid January. This is going to be a bar.

Last edited by Phil Y; 12-02-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Cold? you Southerners make me laugh......i got minus 10 and snow. Are you going to Lisbon to wave at Greta as she arrives on La Vagabonde? Looks windy, but we had 7 minutes of sun in the last 3 weeks. Today was the final sunset for those further North, wont be seeing the sun again till next year.......

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Cold? you Southerners make me laugh......i got minus 10 and snow. Are you going to Lisbon to wave at Greta as she arrives on La Vagabonde? Looks windy, but we had 7 minutes of sun in the last 3 weeks. Today was the final sunset for those further North, wont be seeing the sun again till next year.......
    What is hot, to you Northerners, 20C or something ? Hot or cold is what you're used to, 51C in Saudi Arabia was definitely too crazy hot for this boy, but anywhere that goes dark for weeks at a time would drive me batshyte crazy too.
    Welcome back Dody, I think the worst is behind you with the rebuild, looking forward to seeing things start to go back together!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    What is hot, to you Northerners, 20C or something ? Hot or cold is what you're used to, 51C in Saudi Arabia was definitely too crazy hot for this boy, but anywhere that goes dark for weeks at a time would drive me batshyte crazy too.

Pete
    Amazing how people acclimatize over time. Having spent winters at -30 to -40, its relatively warm here at -15. The downside is yes, i start to get uncomfortable when it over +20, and was always uncomfortable when over +30, if no breeze. Have a mate living in Exmouth WA, often hits 50+, and i have to laugh that he puts a long sleeve shirt on when it drops to +28......the body adapts. Its the dark that gets me, that has led to some struggles.

Sorry for the thread drift. See La Vagabonde arrived this morning.

Hope you got the car issue sorted and work continues when the weather allows.....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think it's called momentum, or the lack of. Once you are working again you'll have several projects on the go and if one can't proceed for lack of materials or whatever then you can turn to another. My deck has stalled at the moment. It's all done and painted and deck grip on. But no fittings. She's tied to her berth by the shroud plates, because that's all there is. I think I'm scared of putting any holes in her lovely watertight decks. I don't trust Sika or any other sealing goops. And I have too many competing projects at home. Currently preparing a paddock to host a wedding for a friend of one of our kids in mid January. This is going to be a bar.

Looks awesome Phil, great start for a bar!!! And yes, I can understand only too well. You'll get there, I know. Because you didn't go through all this work without wanting to sail your boat again one day, and this will get stronger and stronger till you can't resist any more so you'll make these holes

Momentum .... I think the trouble starts when we stop. It's not the stopping itself, but the getting started again in the good direction afterwards. We people are not really into changes because it always takes an effort. Pretty bad is that I can't really sit still, and that I love making a mess with everything that's around and has nothing to do with the job at hand. It's the "junk keeps piling up in the corner" and "I'll sort it out tomorrow"-thing. And then, even though I might have nothing else to do, I still don't fancy catching up. Till it doesn't feel comfortable any more. Worse even: paperwork where you hit the deadline.

But you know what? Surf is up again and I spent some awesome days on the North-Beach watching the lads. Good fun and kilometers of walking in the sand. Even doing my exercises for the back and the neck every day so I think I'm pretty good prepared to prevent any accidents this winter
    fair winds, Dody

Cold. I don't like cold. Never did. But I do seem to be capable to get accustomed to a lot of things.

And there seems to be differences in "cold" and "cold" not only by the temperature.

Right now we've got up to 13 degrees in daytime and it went down to 3 tonight. Both above zero of course. Sounds a lot and pretty warm doesn't it? But, we live outside most of the day. When we sit down to have a coffee, or a meal or watch something on the TV there is no heating (not even in most Bars and Restaurants) and usually the doors are wide open. Because that's how people live here. They walk around, have a chat, move some doors further for another chat. The doors are closed only if nobody is in. Everybody loves the chats, so the doors stay open. These temperatures are fine as long as you are moving. Once you are only sitting it creeps in. The only place warmish is my tiny corner upstairs in the boat, provided I did not forget to put up the rags I use as protective curtains (with pegs) before the sun goes down.

Most of them say "I don't understand, why are YOU cold? You are from the North, you must be used to it". But up in the North, every house is heated and it's only cold if you go outside. Some years ago I was up North in Finland and saw 3-glazed windows!!! And ... some of the people from Nazaré have emigrated to Canada and come back home for x-mas. They say the cold here is different from the cold in Canada and, although used to the cold in Canada they would always freeze here.

But, I am positively surprised about my new Icelandic sweater. I always knew that proper wool keeps you warm. This thing I knitted from proper Icelandic wool. The saying goes that these sheep were not mixed with any other race of sheep for more than thousand years and have developed a special fur to survive the arctic climate. I'm still testing it, but yesterday I was fairly warm with only a hoodie and the sweater while others heavily dressed were feeling like icicles.
    fair winds, Dody

That's it drying when I had it finished

fair winds, Dody

And that one is drying upstairs right now, then only have to install the zip and it's done.

fair winds, Dody

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I have not dug out my old photos, but a FB friend did post some old pictures. Heres one from Penich, how i remember it on my first visit, before the beach dissappeared. I have to add a link to his FB page as i cant "grab" the photo. All rights reserved to Emmanual Berque.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...j9c2CoM9jtpSuo
    I didn't have proper Internet for weeks but it seems to be working again now. What a great photo - and imagine, they were with a tiny trimaran without a cabin and staying there for a whole year. A whole year for me includes wintertime. What a bloody weakling I am complaining about the cold although I've got a fairly closed structure around me in the evenings and I've got electricity to run my 2 oilfilled radiators!!!

And well, I've never spent a winter without the sun and I can't imagine that I might cope easily. Seeing the sun is something very vital for me. But then, I kind of survived 20 years hardly seeing anything outside - daylight included - because I was overdoing it a "bit" with officework. Still, I do want to see the Northern Lights one day and the polar night also seems to be something very special. Maybe, now that I am living in freedom for so many years, I might relax and start to feel different about it? Dunno.
    fair winds, Dody

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Welcome back Dody, I think the worst is behind you with the rebuild, looking forward to seeing things start to go back together!

Pete
    Thank you Pete! My head has already started to get busy with the next steps on board, won't be long now fingers crossed!
    fair winds, Dody

Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    That's it drying when I had it finished

That deserves a wooly board for drying.

Dead easy ro make, each piece has a pin in its end made from a screw or nail that goes into a hole in the passing piece. You peg the hem/rib to the dowel near the base.

from https://www.hazeltindall.com/jumper-boards#.Xeg3ctXgrcs
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Those sweaters look great.