Thread: Catspaw restoration possibilities

Default Catspaw restoration possibilities

I'm looking at a Catspaw locally
    It's been stored on the hard for several years and has dried out, Many visible open seams on the bottom and flaking paint everywhere. On a custom trailer with 2x4 bunks, one of which seems to have pushed in one of the planks about 1/4' causing the ribs/frames inside to crack along the spot (probably about a half dozen.)
    Some rust on the 'keelbolts'
    Carvel planked with copper rivets I believe.
    Seems to have been built witha a lot of care and attention but looks like it needs wooding out, wetting down and some frames replaced. THis looks like a air sized paint removal project to me, something I'm not sure I want to do these days. I'd rather sail.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Catspaw restoration possibilities

bump!
    Anyone willing to give a brief assessment as to the difficulty/extent of this restoration. Nothing looked rotten. I believe it has been dry stored for quite a long while.

For someone who would rather sail, it looks like a good set aside until next October when the rain starts up again project. Though, it looks like the paint is trying hard to jump off already! Half a dozen known broken frames as a starting point... it is a nice looking little boat, I just don't think you'll be sailing it this summer.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

You're likely right, not a this year boat. I kind of thought the same thing too. What you see is rarely the entirety of the problem.
    This boat is oak on oak(white) I believe, I wonder if partially filling it with salt water on stands (with better support than the trailer which seems to have (short 2x4 bunks)) and letting it rehydrate would be useful to get a better idea of the hulls condition (doing some scraping while it soaks up some moisture.)
    I know sometimes people sink dried up boats and some put 'baths' around them.

The paint is dead. Strip out the bright work. Then Wood the boat inside and out, and repair the broken frames. I would lay some old carpet soaked in water under it whenever you are not working on it to raise its humidity.
    With the paint off you can see how and with what she was caulked which will offer guidance on what to do as she takes up.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Just finishing up a recommissioning of my Good Little Skiff, which needed the exterior wooded. Heat gun and scraper (s) will get rid of that paint in short order. Took me a morning a side to heat gun and scrape my skiff. I had to go back again to get the most of the primer out. A A vacumn cleaner keeping things under control as you take off the paint. Easiest to keep it dry to get the paint off, and to keep things flexible as you work on the broken frame area. Seems a shame to replace the full broken frames. You may be able to sister or scarf. Rivets come out easily. usually worth finding a friend to help replace. One thing I have found handy working alone is making sure I had things at comfortable height. Nice wide saw horses of several heights. Catspaws are nice little boats and worth saving.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Thanks this is pretty well in line with what I was imagining. wood out, asses, rehumidify or repair etc.
    (sounds easy listed like that bahaha) I have a pretty good idea of the time involved , though there might be other problems hiding under the paint.