Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Oughtred Gannet build - downunder

Default Oughtred Gannet build - downunder

Some forum member have suggested I should start a new thread - so here goes.........................
    I am building my 3rd boat, and Iain Oughtred designed Gannet dinghy. I am building her using 6mm Okoume plywood which I bought through a Brunyzeel dealer in Sydney (I live 4 hours drive south of Sydney).

This is a picture of Bella, my most recent build - she is a Snapper boat design from David Payne who lives in Sydney.
    IMGP0004.jpg

My Gannet started as a strongback - we use I-frame floor joists for our strongbacks because they will not bend or twist
    IMG_1174.jpg

I then made the moulds from 19mm pine from Bunnings (major hardware store in Australia) Moulds were marked out using a pointed scribe through the plans - worked really well, I cut out 2 sides at a time after screwing the pine together - cutout was on a large bandsaw run by the "Woodies" (local woodworking group I belong to - they have all the wonderful expensive tools I don't have mainly due to lack of space).
    IMG_1181.jpg

I have a couple of assistants, who provide varying degrees of assistance:
    IMG_1154.jpgIMG_1217.jpg

The stem is made from Oregon (Douglas Fir), the keelson is Hoop pine which is plantantion grown in Australia, great stuff with no knots and very straight grained. Transom is made from Australian cedar (bought via the Woodies mentioned above)

So, I have added the transom, glued in the keelson, cut the centreboard slot, added garboards, 1st & 2nd plank, have just added my 1st 3rd plank (i.e. just port side). My planks are 1st made as templates cut from cheap 4mm brace ply which is really lousy plywood but when you make an error (yes I made one :-) ) you just put it aside & make another. I am only making gains at the stem on this boat and the gains are short (8 inches) because the 6mm ply is fairly thin and I would prefer to avoid breakages around the stem.

Default Re: Oughtred Gannet build - downunder

I ran out of the photos I could add to the thread, so here is a photo of the latest news - port side 3rd plank:

IMG_1229.jpg

Good to read another ' local ' build,
    Your Bella looks very similiar to a boat in our local mens boat shed, that is a beautiful looking boat as well,

At least one of your assistants seems to have the " l haven't had anything to eat for at least 10 mins, Please feed me NOW look" and the other one is laughing at him

I love it! Keep up the great posts!!

Wrong, 2nd plank!!

I put the 3rd plank on both Port and Starboard sides last week, and filled in between the garboard planks with a strip of ply trimmed to size, I do a light plane of this down to a level surface & then glue on the keel which I haven't cut yet.

here is a photo of what the hull & stem look like now:
    IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg

And my scarfing )8:1)

IMG_1237.jpgIMG_1238.jpg

Looking good Neil! Are you going to wait till the planking is done to do the skeg? Cutting the keel pieces is next for me as well, though the next two weekends will be our summer week with grand kids. (Will the suffering never end?!!!) I've actually been pretty content just to get a small bit done each week. Still feels like progress!

Ken

Ken,
    The Gannet has no skeg - it is a planing hull which means it is wide and flat moving from the centreboard aft which gives the boat the ability to get right up on her own wave when she planes - a skeg would slow this down. Instead I just have a 50mm wide, 10mm thick keel which runs from transom to stem with a gap for teh centreboard. Yes on the busy front - we "slabbed" logs with the Woodies (local woodworking guild) this morning, the logs were at least 1 metre diameter and Very heavy! I had never done this before and was fascinated to see the equipment used - timber has been laid on blocks in sheds to dry...............
    Neil

Ok, so here is a recent update. Was very please to pass the half-planked hull stage a few days ago, now have the fifth plank on the Port side and have some of the keel on either side of the centreboard - I reckon this will easier to do now before I get more hull planks in the way..............
    My scarfing has improved, the glued ply pieces is a bevelling tool
    IMG_1328.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Neil, I just found this and it's looking good.

Good idea to work on the keel at this stage as the hull is fairly wide when done. Wish I’d thought of that.

Great to see another 'Down Under' Oughtred build. Keep the pics coming!
    PeterW

About time I posted an update - my build of the Gannet continues though with normal interruptions for maintaining existing boat (bella), golf, walking the dog (Chilli), restoring bathroom, etc.............. I just glued the 7th plank on the starboard side this morning. I have cut some fillets which will be glued to the side of the keel where it lines up with centreboard slot - roughly shaped so far & planed to fit, will be glued in and then faired.

I plane half-gains on the planks (top & bottom, inside & out) before I glue onto the hull :
    IMG_1346.jpg
    Here is the fillets either side of the centreboard slot
    IMG_1343.jpg
    Here is the hull so fabr /> IMG_1345.jpg

By the way I think this boat is going to be great fun to sail - I used to race a lot when I was younger - just hope my creaky body can keep her stable!!!

Neil

Looks good.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Nice work! Always good to see more Oughtreds coming to life. Bella is lovely. What's she powered with?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Owen View Post
    Nice work! Always good to see more Oughtreds coming to life. Bella is lovely. What's she powered with?

Mike
    When an officer pulled over a semi, he was seen on his radio with dispatch, asking for instructions. "The driver said he was hauling sailboat fuel, but his truck was empty. What should I do?" (Sorry Michael, I just can't control myself!)

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Bella is powered by a 10hp 2 cylinder Nanni diesel - easy cruise at 6 knots........

gannet is a big little boat, no? I have been studying them for a few years. Do you think their dimensions are closer to wayfarer than an I14?
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    gannet is a big little boat, no? I have been studying them for a few years. Do you think their dimensions are closer to wayfarer than an I14?
    I have sailed a wayfarer in the past and I'd say no a Gannet is and feels smaller than a Wayfarer. Wayfarer is 16' long the Gannet is only 14' 5" though the Gannet does have a decent beam of 5' 8" - which was one of the reasons I'm building one. I wanted a boat which could a) be sailed by 2 adults comfortably and b) be rigged and sailed by one adult fairly easily. I reviewed at least 6 designs before making a decision - and rejecting several because they had what I thought to be narrow beams. I think the International14 (I14?) is a true racing boat which I rejected along with the GP14, though I even bought a set of plans for the GP14 till I realised it had a 23' mast and I didn't fancy raising that by myself. I also had to have a gunter rig for whatever I built. Time will tell how I can manage the Gannet, but the hull looks great so far :-)

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Looking good Neil, how did you work out the strake shapes? did you make a template or draw form dimensions?

The molds suggest flare along the sides, but its not so, yeah?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I made templates for Bella's planks (my previous clinker build) so yes, I am making templates for the Gannet as well. I have only thrown one template away so far, but considerng that it used one third of a sheet of $25 brace ply I'm happier to be doing that that miscutting the $110 sheet of Brunyzeel ply...............
    The Gannet has quite a flare at the bow from about station3 forwards - At my age I'd prefer a dry boat :-)

Neil

Looks great Neil, won't be long till we're talking about primers and paint colors!

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Managed to glue the last plank on the hull today after some careful dry fitting to try and make sure the sheer strake looks good enough, fairly confident it will be ok. Interesting fitting the planks at the bow on a gannet because of the flare you have to reverse bevel which involves bevelling the plank which is being added rather than the plank which is already on the boat. Sounds rather odd but I know what I mean :-)
    Looking forward to adding the outer stem and then the last piece of keel - then the big cleanup begins!

You're making good progress Neil, reckon it'll be ready for boats afloat !!

Wow Neil, what a great feeling that has to be! I know you've been here before with Bella, but I still can't imagine the adrenaline doesn't flow just a bit more. Either that or the dread of the oh-so-anticipated sanding, which is always our favorite thing, right? Right? Hope you love it more than me! Although I do have to say, I grabbed my sanding block the other day, (still love that it's called the "Preppin' Weapon" !) and took a few swipes. As I did I was a little surprised to feel the actual twist of the plank. Made me really feel the shape of her, and what a grand feeling that was. So maybe sanding will continue to be enjoyable, or at least comparably so! Anyway, congrats on your progress!

Ken

Looking good Neil.

Looks like a very nice place to work! Love the Oughtred lapstrake lines. How do you put your test planks together? Scarf or screw or butt joint? thanks

Heat gun and scraper will help clean up. Looks great!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    Looks like a very nice place to work! Love the Oughtred lapstrake lines. How do you put your test planks together? Scarf or screw or butt joint? thanks
    My template planks are made from 4mm brace ply - simple butt joint glued with epoxy. Used the sme method when I built Bella and so far none have come apart :-) The real planks have a proper 8:1 scarf in them. When I cut the real planks I cut 2 planks at the same time, with the planks screwed together to avoid any movement and I also plane the edges of the planks when they are together - the only trimming after that is around the bow gains which may need a millimetre or two taken off. Yes, working outside is lovely with all the local birdlife plus I had a 2.5 metre diamond-back python watching me from the beams above last summer!!

Latest news - I have glued on the outer stem after a suitable amount of trimming using chalk to find where I needed to trim, them glued on the forward part of the keel. The hoop pine (25x50mm) bent just fine, but had to do some creative work with clamps when found that the current clamps not quite long enough. All seems ok though. Next step is trimming, filling screw holes, filleting and sanding..................
    IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg
    Last edited by neil.henderson; 10-19-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Nice work Neil. I find inventing clampages some of the best fun in boatbuilding.

Nice progress Neil, clamping is perhaps the biggest challenge in boat building.

Gotta love a clinker hull though, all those little shelves to rest your pencil etc on !

nice progress!
    Saw relevant pic on BBC Scotland for your boat (a Gannet). Title of pic could be "Focus on Task"
    _109258140_ronmacdonald.jpg

That's a great photo - almost feel sorry for the poor fish in its sights.........................Here is a photo of an Australian heron down on our local beach. I am hoping to do the filleting around the keel this afternoon, though it is a bit hecky darn warm here today....................

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    What a shot!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.