Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: My bottom-sanding jig

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    80

    Default My bottom-sanding jig

    Please excuse the GRP example, my wooden16m2 will get the same attention next spring.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,895

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    I love it!! And the music - perfect
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    62,435

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig



    (interesting thread title though……………)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,879

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    But area you a real boater if you don't spend a day getting your head full of dust while your wrists are both aching and going numb at the same time?
    -Dave

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,421

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Well done!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter
    Posts
    18,279

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Removing layers of anti foul will be a different ball o wax than scuffing gel coat.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Rushworth, Australia
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    ‘kin excellent . Please don’t take offence but my wife says my belly even matches yours. First thing she looked for , haha

    personally I don’t like the music ‘cos it would make me work too hard!

    I want one of those tractors too

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Padanaram, MA USA
    Posts
    9,867

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Needs a cup holder.

    I’m trying to imagine how Festool would implement that idea.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Removing layers of anti foul will be a different ball o wax than scuffing gel coat.
    Just use 40 or 80 grit.
    I can apply 10x the pressure on that sander than you could with your arms. Want a race?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    BTW...the video shows worn out 220 paper.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Belly? What belly?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    PNW, an island west of Seattle
    Posts
    2,491

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Quote Originally Posted by __floater__ View Post
    Just use 40 or 80 grit.
    I can apply 10x the pressure on that sander than you could with your arms. Want a race?

    Uhhh... I don't think you really want to get into a race with Bruce.

    Jeff

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter
    Posts
    18,279

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Quote Originally Posted by __floater__ View Post
    Just use 40 or 80 grit.
    I can apply 10x the pressure on that sander than you could with your arms. Want a race?
    That is a challenge that I would enjoy...and win.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,595

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Gonna have to start calling Bruce “John Henry”! But yeah, my money is on Wizbang and it’s not going to be close.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norwalk CT
    Posts
    1,516

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    My money's on Bruce.....

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,879

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    I'm thinking it would be much too easy to go clear through a glass hull with 40 grit and 10x hand pressure.
    -Dave

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    738

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    First rule of sanding "Let the tool do the work" It's not about pressure.
    Pressure heats up the paper, melts the glue and the grit falls off.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norwalk CT
    Posts
    1,516

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    I stopped sanding with machines a couple seasons ago. Im not a big fan of crouching and kneeling and at some point my fingers ache holding a sander. I bought a pole sander; the kind that drywall tapers use and a long utility handle. 40 grit paper and working in the cool of the morning or later in the day when the pint is brittle makes for an efficient alternative to machine sanding. I can do most of it standing up, switch arms when I get tired and the dust isnt falling in my face even though I still wear a full face respirator.
    Of course there is the turn of the bilge that required knee pads and scooching around but the bulk of the work is done upright.
    80 grit to finish and a little machine work here and there and she's ready for paint.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Looks like you really enjoy working harder than you have to. Congratulations on that! lol

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    And size doesn't matter.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norwalk CT
    Posts
    1,516

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Quote Originally Posted by __floater__ View Post
    Looks like you really enjoy working harder than you have to. Congratulations on that! lol
    I dont work hard, I work smart.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Removing layers of anti foul will be a different ball o wax than scuffing gel coat.
    If you use a sander it will be exactly the same wit less effort.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    I stopped sanding with machines a couple seasons ago. Im not a big fan of crouching and kneeling and at some point my fingers ache holding a sander. I bought a pole sander; the kind that drywall tapers use and a long utility handle. 40 grit paper and working in the cool of the morning or later in the day when the pint is brittle makes for an efficient alternative to machine sanding. I can do most of it standing up, switch arms when I get tired and the dust isnt falling in my face even though I still wear a full face respirator.
    Of course there is the turn of the bilge that required knee pads and scooching around but the bulk of the work is done upright.
    80 grit to finish and a little machine work here and there and she's ready for paint.
    You're saying a drywall pole sander is more efficient than a machine?
    You've clearly inhaled more than dust.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Posts
    2,003

    Default Re: My bottom-sanding jig

    I like it. Indeed, I am going to try it.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

    "It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •