Thread: Hi Liner Restoration

Default Hi Liner Restoration

I have recently purchased a 1958 HiLiner from another forum member. Here is a link to his thread 1958 Hi Liner Speed Star

I plan to start by removing and labeling all hardware, then giving it a thorough cleaning to make it easier
    to determine what repairs are called for. Some are already obvious and I expect others to reveal themselves.
    All in all she seems to be a viable project and just what I need to get through these cold Vermont winter days.
    Hopefully my woodshed will provide enough heat to make some progress. I will post pics as I go along.

Default Re: Hi Liner Restoration

You've got your work cut out for you. But, it'll be a good project to fill the long, cold Vermont winter days.
    My shop is empty right now. Wish I had a project.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

You have some work ahead of you for sure.
    Interested in seeing it come together.
    Best of luck with the restoration.

So - a paint & varnish project Grant? OK, OK maybe an ounce or 2 of epoxy for some gluing.

It'll be cool when you git 'er done. I may have to swing by to check on your progress.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    So - a paint & varnish project Grant? OK, OK maybe an ounce or 2 of epoxy for some gluing.

It'll be cool when you git 'er done. I may have to swing by to check on your progress.
    Any time, Garret, you too, Rich.
    The hull still has the original mouse nest that the more recent owner showed us. Got that out today....

I am glad to see a good 'hand off ' of a project, rather than 'cut up and burn' - I will be following this project

Rick

Here is a question for the Vermonters (or others) on the Forum.
    The boat, a 1958 Hi Liner, 14 foot runabout, 62 years old, and, as best I can tell, last registered 30 years ago based on the tiny fragment
    of a sticker with the number 90 in the corner. Not a shred of a registration number left. My understanding is that once
    registered in VT the number stays with the boat no matter who owns it. How will I get to register the boat without the numbers?
    The young fellow I bought it from did not get a bill of sale when he bought it so no numbers there. I have sent him an email
    asking if he remembers the name of the guy he bought it from in the hopes that person will have a clue as to the number.
    I don't have high hopes for success there. I could not tell you the registration numbers on boats I owned years ago.
    Any ideas other than claiming it is home built?.

I went back to the original thread and found this picture. The sticker is still on back then. Is there anyone clever enough to read the registration number from this pic?

Grant, do you know the name of any owner who had it registered? If so then the VT DMV may be able to look it up that way? I don't know that for certain mind you, I'm just thinking it may be possible.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Grant, do you know the name of any owner who had it registered? If so then the VT DMV may be able to look it up that way? I don't know that for certain mind you, I'm just thinking it may be possible.
    I wish I did, that would help a lot.

Fifteen years or so ago, I rebuilt a 1959 PennYan runabout while living in NYS. No registration and nothing but a bill of sale. NYS DMV didn't seem to have a problem giving me a registration that I then transferred to Vermont when I moved here.
    Probably the best thing to do is explain the situation to DMV. I've always found them easy to deal with registering home built boats.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Fifteen years or so ago, I rebuilt a 1959 PennYan runabout while living in NYS. No registration and nothing but a bill of sale. NYS DMV didn't seem to have a problem giving me a registration that I then transferred to Vermont when I moved here.
    Probably the best thing to do is explain the situation to DMV. I've always found them easy to deal with registering home built boats.
    Thanks Rich. You and I have had different experiences with the DMV. Our local office is sometimes a bit contentious, and other times quite helpful.
    I just posted a new thread asking for forensic help deciphering the number from the pic of the tag. Maybe that will shed some light.If all else fails I will go to Montpelier and plead my case. This cannot be the first time someone wants to register a barn find. Before I invest a lot of time I would like to find out. Or maybe I could go over to NY and register it there first.....

I have removed almost all of the hardware from the boat. Stabilized the corner of the deck.
    Washed the 62 year old windshield and was amazed at how clear it was. Taken lots of pics, soon to be posted

I have been removing some of the foredeck planks and discovered some nasty stuff on the starboard side, rotted beam ends, a spot of rot in the hull where ti meets the deck and to make matters worse, the deck boards have become fragile with age and must be handled carefully. I finally got Frearson bits for my driver and have had more success removing screw, but at the cost of damage to the planks as the screw heads have no clearance with the edges of the holes. When they come up they often take a bit of the plank with them. To make matters worse, my new, up to date, more expensive computer does not want to let me download pics! Aaarrrrgh. The worst of the rot seems to be just along the stbd side near the deck, but it looks like those rotted beam ends might cost me the whole deck.
    I will try to sort out the prob with the computer and post some pics but at lease you can see the boat in #8 above.