Thread: Prompted by "Glory of the Seas" thread.

Default Prompted by "Glory of the Seas" thread.

This may interest our Aussie friends?

City of Adelaide, 1864. Oldest surviving hull of a clipper; threatened with demolition in 2010, transported from Scotland to Port Adelaide for preservation in 2014. Taken from Wikipedia.

I entered into this forum http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...981504&page=34 as Jackie Crown, and supported their bid, as the Locals, whom I knew, were totally inept. My concern is the preservation of the Adelaide.

Comment 679 on above link ,
    "Well said Mac the only trouble there is "experts" are usually aware of the problems involved, and steer clear of lost causes. Desirable as it may be to save her it is a dream. I wrote these words a coulple of years ago to somewhere " Unfortunately visionaries, to use another favourite word in these discussions, almost always are not possessive of the required knowledge to appreciate the problems involved in the tasks they fervently pursue. This will apply to the Australians too.
    I throw my support behind them because they seem more organised, and have essential Political backing. Moreover they seem to have Professional people interested, and they are willing to listen to them. I still cannot abandon the idea that Scarf being a CIC may mean someone stands to make money out of it. Perhaps that question can be asked at the meeting?"

I am wondering if my faith in the Australians acquiring her were substantiated?

Anyone?

Default Re: Prompted by "Glory of the Seas" thread.

They did a good job on James Craig, why not City of Adelaide as well? She's a complete basket case but men built her once upon a time, throw enough money at the problem and they can rebuild her. I'm cautiously optimistic that she'll be sailing in much the same condition as James Craig one day.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    They did a good job on James Craig, why not City of Adelaide as well? She's a complete basket case but men built her once upon a time, throw enough money at the problem and they can rebuild her. I'm cautiously optimistic that she'll be sailing in much the same condition as James Craig one day.
    Hopefully, but she will be a more formidable challenge to achieve seagoing than the James Craig.

I am unable to find any information as to her (Adelaides) restoration.

Can anyone help?
    Last edited by Chippie; 06-23-2017 at 05:41 AM.

Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post

I saw that one but there is no evidence of any progress, or future plans.

https://www.facebook.com/RitaBraddCi...808163/?type=3

This one has photo of a Mrs Bradd in a hammock hard at it though.

Anyone out there got any informative views as to her being saved?

https://www.facebook.com/RitaBraddCityofAdelaide
    Last edited by Chippie; 06-23-2017 at 05:31 AM.

I was lucky enough to get a guided tour by Peter Christopher a Director of the project including below decks an area not yet open to the public as more safety work needed.

My understanding is there is no intention to restore more preserve as a museum.

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    I was lucky enough to get a guided tour by Peter Christopher a Director of the project including below decks an area not yet open to the public as more safety work needed.

My understanding is there is no intention to restore more preserve as a museum.

So there is no evidence of recent preservation either?

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    So there is no evidence of recent preservation either?
    It's a big ship and lot of the expense so far was in the cradle and shipping, an enormous task in itself. From my perspective it is fascinating to see the composite design, the massive timbers and how low in the water these ships sat. The plimsoll line is above the windows which were cut during her time as a hospital ship.

There are a team of volunteers working in sections at present from blasting rust and coating the frames to main deck repair and sealing. Getting her watertight from the weather is the main goal at present up till now the wrapping used during the transport has been left in place over the main deck.