Thread: Storer TA'AL SUP build, test, crash.

Default Storer TA'AL SUP build, test, crash.

I built a Mik Storer Ta'al SUP for my wife. Did it in my backyard last October until it got too cold for the epoxy to set and I stuffed it into my basement crawlspace. Finished it up in May, launched a few weeks ago, was putting on the final touches this afternoon in my mother-in-law's garage (nice for epoxy work) and had it fall off the workbench onto the concrete floor. The deck is 3mm okoume under tension and it hit something on the way down, most of the failure was along the veneer, not the glue line.

I erased a lot of my build pictures by accident when my phone screen got wet and I inadvertently deleted the entire gallery of photos. I didn't back them up because my back-up was full. SO THIS IS ALL YOU GET.

Plans are excellent, and comprehensive. I have previously built a GIS, a Quick-Canoe, and assisted with a Eureka Canoe, all from Mik Storer. His Viola (to come) and his BETH are always batting around my brain. I like Mik's boats, his philosophy, and his plans. I'm not a groupie (I just bought Lillistone Fleet plans) but I am definitely a fan.

Prior epoxy and some S&G experience is certainly helpful, not necessarily a beginner build. Okoume 3mm ply, dried WRC stringers, and little small pieces of WRC to frame the bulkheads. Construction is S&G using zip-ties. The frames are cut for stringers, there is a template for everything to line up. It has a lot of little bits but all of a sudden comes together really nice and satisfying. The frames are scalloped between the stringers. There is some wrestling to get the bow with a temporary bulkhead way up in the bow for a certain shape, however once I engineered a solution it ties up smooth and nice. There are lots of little fiddly fillets, I would highly recommend EZ-Fillet if you are the impatient type. I mixed my own and when I was done I almost burned down my house in a ritual act to cleanse my pent up rage. EZ-Fillet. I'm just sayin'.

You can see the framing for the BH's in this pic.

The stringers are sanded to a small section of the circumference of a larger circle, there is a template for this too. The deck is glued on with packing tape. It's a 2 person job and slow epoxy works best especially when temps are in the high 80s like when I did it. The deck is under tension in many places so it pays to really snug it up and do it right. The deck bow has a slight hollow as it curves up, hence the weights. When it's all tight go refresh with beverages.

Take off packing tape, trim the deck flush, and reference for size, 12'6" or 3.81m for you rational calm types:

Then, it's off to epoxy coat. I used DWX epoxy which claims to have UV inhibitors in it. This way, no varnish. Even if they are weak, I hope they are good enough for the little time the SUP will actually be outside in it's lifetime. This isn't going on a mooring or a slip.
    Last edited by callsign222; 06-20-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Default Re: Storer TA'AL SUP build, test, crash.

OK the epoxy coating went off pretty well and now it's time to put it in the water, this is a tiny pond that's about three times as long as the SUP, so no long range testing here. Many angles so you can see it's curves.

There was some epoxy coating I wasn't happy with on the sides so today I went back to the in-laws to use their garage. A gust of wind came whoomping into the garage and the SUP took flight and fell about 5 feet onto the concrete floor (I had it up on it's side, it did a tumble so high side hit the floor). My wife found it far my humorous than I did. The deck is somewhat under pressure up here and I have engineered a solution/fix that is currently in the works but WE HAVEN'T EVEN USED IT YET. It's one thing to scratch the boat when you USE IT EVEN IF IT'S THE FIRST OUTING but it's quite another when it happens and it hasn't seen the water.

Anyone that knows me knows I build hastily in somewhat mediocre fashion, push my boats hard, and don't mind injuries, either cosmetic or structural, but this one just sucked. And it's not my boat it's for Mrs Callsign. She has dubbed the SUP "Scarface." Repairs begin tomorrow.

Last edited by callsign222; 06-20-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Sweet Lines.

this is the perfect time to install the mast socket for a Duckpunt/ opti sail that this lil' paddle board so desperately craves... something un obtrusive, but there and ready for warm windy summer days.

the board was telling you it's not done building yet.

Looks like the repair won't be too hard. Thanks for the fotos.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

SCARFACE!!! You didn't share that part with me earlier... this painful process is totally worth the earning of a sweet name.

Today I started the repair. DWX Fast is very fast, so I used this to my advantage. I was able to prep, glue the break and let it harden under pressure, remove pressure, then apply tape, let it set enough to cut off the selvedged edge in a few hours. The thickened epoxy ramp and taped down the edge:

The tape. I'm worried about the aft crack working south, this should fix that. The edge tape is overblown but the bond between the deck and destroyed interior cleat could have caused leakage problems in the future:

Clean up on Friday, probably.

I don't know why the lateral picture went so large. Apologies if it screws up your frame.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Today I started the repair. DWX Fast is very fast, so I used this to my advantage. I was able to prep, glue the break and let it harden under pressure, remove pressure, then apply tape, let it set enough to cut off the selvedged edge in a few hours. The thickened epoxy ramp and taped down the edge:

The tape. I'm worried about the aft crack working south, this should fix that. The edge tape is overblown but the bond between the deck and destroyed interior cleat could have caused leakage problems in the future:

Clean up on Friday, probably.
    Haha .. you well and truly kept this away from the designer!

Christophe,

You had it at the Wooden Boat show at Mystic. That is a bit bigger than the pond

MIK

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    Haha .. you well and truly kept this away from the designer!

Christophe,

You had it at the Wooden Boat show at Mystic. That is a bit bigger than the pond

MIK
    Hey Mik!

I didn't take any pictures of it at Mystic, and it was after this was posted...

I just took it out today for a longer spin and have some ideas for you, will email tomorrow.