Thread: See the Remains of the Clipper Ship Glory of the Seas in Seattle This Week!

Default See the Remains of the Clipper Ship Glory of the Seas in Seattle This Week!

It's solstice time and there are a series of minus tides coming up in Seattle. Best time all year to see the Glory of the Seas.
    http://www.criterionweb.com/glorypage.htm

Get to the beach by whatever means necessary. A walk from the ferry terminal is not unpleasant. Go south of Brace Point...there's a large apartment complex. The remains are at the south side of this property.

Default Re: See the Remains of the Clipper Ship Glory of the Seas in Seattle This Week!

Way cool.

In modern parlance, however, an unfortunate name; it sounds like a cruise ship moniker these days.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Default Re: See the Remains of the Clipper Ship Glory of the Seas in Seattle This Week!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Way cool.

In modern parlance, however, an unfortunate name; it sounds like a cruise ship moniker these days.
    Gerard, I am almost positive that Donald McKay should not share in the disgust of civilization for anything having to do with "cruise ships." That includes the lurid names of these vessels. I am astounded that anyone could spend precious vacation time on one of these vessels. Can you say "Weekend in Hell!?"
    Now way, way back, the first time I went to Europe I went on a passenger ship. And it was quite pleasant. (but this was in the Jurassic Era)
    I hope to repeat this trip at some time, though I am fully aware that Cunard is owned by a cruise ship line.

Big difference between a liner and a cruise ship.

In the summer, there is a steady parade of cruise ships going up Puget Sound. When they pass us, I am always shocked how big they are and how little they look like ships.

And they move fast too
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Friends who did an Alaska cruise, and swore they'd never set foot on a cruise ship again, took the Queen Mary II. They loved it. None of that daily port of call shopping mall atmosphere.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

An elderly friend, with some assets and reasonable health says that considering what's on offer it's more cost effective than a nursing home and infinitely more pleasant a lifestyle to live aboard permanently. She has found that for long term residence there are deals that can be negotiated.

They have the name board on the wall at the J Porter Shaw library in San Francisco. Until I told them a couple years ago, they had no idea where the boat ended it's days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Big difference between a liner and a cruise ship.

In the summer, there is a steady parade of cruise ships going up Puget Sound. When they pass us, I am always shocked how big they are and how little they look like ships.

And they move fast too
    Floating apartment block. Some actually have amusement parks on board.

Not my cuppa tea, but they're packed all summer.

A friend is his 50's played jazz on a cruise ship. He said it was the only place where he was called "young man..."
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    It's solstice time and there are a series of minus tides coming up in Seattle. Best time all year to see the Glory of the Seas.
    http://www.criterionweb.com/glorypage.htm

Get to the beach by whatever means necessary. A walk from the ferry terminal is not unpleasant. Go south of Brace Point...there's a large apartment complex. The remains are at the south side of this property.
    Note that is the Vashon/Southworth/Fauntleroy ferry terminal, there is also a road-end on SW 98th Street a bit south of Brace Point.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Deleted as I feel it may be intrusive. Sorry.
    Last edited by Chippie; 06-21-2017 at 04:22 AM.