Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why is woodenboat magazine, and the woodenboat forum especially, almost 100%

Default Re: why is woodenboat magazine, and the woodenboat forum especially, almost 100%

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Cultural memory -- more specifically, Traumatic memory transmission.

One of my black friends once jokingly said to me, "Now Skip, Do you really think an African-American wants to get onto some white guys wooden boat? That didn't work out so well in the past."

I had had to think about that for a minute. Then we both laughed! "no, I guess not!!

Many a truth is said in jest!
    Reminds me of Groucho's observation " I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.".
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Default Re: why is woodenboat magazine, and the woodenboat forum especially, almost 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Who the F**K other than white males can afford to own wooden boats? Besides, it's like the VFW or AmVets... all preaching the same crap to themselves over and over.

It's bad enough ponying up the scratch for any sort of boat these days, but wooden boats, and especially vintage-y wooden boats, require a pretty damn deep pocket. Carson is too busy commissioning more portraits of himself at three times life size (I hear the next on will have gold toenails), and who else is there?

Dumb troll, Paul. You can do much better.
    Well I have little doubt that Snoop Dogg, Will Smith, Morgan Freeman or Denzel Washington and many other black celebs could afford a very nice classic wooden boat. But it's not just about money. Lots of rich white people are not interested in sailing either.

Here's a bit of encouragement though..

The first Black Boaters Summit shoved off in 1997 with 10 boats and 100 participants, and it's been growing ever since. After ten years, Paul Mixon and Bill Pinkney have taught hundreds of African Americans about the wonders of sailing. But, says Mixon, the dream is just beginning.
    http://www.nshof.org/index.php?optio...article&id=720
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    A few years ago, there were several women posting regularly in the Bilge, but when they did anything besides act as surrogate mums, and started arguing politics, etc., they were attacked and driven off this Forum. Several were banned for responding to concerted harrassment. Others simply fell away, likely tired of being a small minority at the old boys' club.
    Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    Puhleease! What baloney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Well, you either have a man crush on the main culprit, you are sublimely unobservant, or you have a very defective memory.

I'd have to agree with BB; some of 'that' was quite unpleasant, a case of 'YMMV' if ever there was one.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    I'd have to agree with BB; some of 'that' was quite unpleasant, a case of 'YMMV' if ever there was one.
    Exactly.

To be clear my baloney retort was the assertion that "several were banned for responding to concerted harrassment [sic]" - they were banned for rude behaviour. They don't get a pass just 'cause they're not males. As a matter of fact I have no problem asserting that Scot has gone out of his way to excuse and look the other way of some XX chromosomed malfeasance. DAMHIK

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    yes, you guys are really quite boring today
    thought to rattle your teacups
    how can we, as mere forum members, increase diversification?
    What do you wish from "diversification" what would it change?

Exactly.

To be clear my baloney retort was the assertion that "several were banned for responding to concerted harrassment [sic]" - they were banned for rude behaviour. They don't get a pass just 'cause they're not males. As a matter of fact I have no problem asserting that Scot has gone out of his way to excuse and look the other way of some XX chromosomed malfeasance. DAMHIK
    However there was provocation, and the single provocateur seems to have got away Scot free, unless there was a severe talking too in private. Shutting the stable door.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    What do you wish from "diversification" what would it change?
    good question
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

^ ???

Y'all got at least one self described queer who hangs out here.

You should consider that diverse and be happy! Of course I didn't change anything or ..... I guess really add anything!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

You should consider that diverse and be happy! Of course I didn't change anything or ..... I guess really add anything!
    Oh - you add here for sure. The comment from your friend about how it worked out a while back still has me chuckling.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

There is a saying in Yorkshire-
    "All folk are queer except thee and me,
    "an' I'm not so sure about thee"

Who are you referring to ?

I ain't white, consider that to be an insult.

First time was when I was six, in first grade.

A backhand slap from a male teacher along with the words;

"Shut up, You little Black bastard"

My reaction was: "But Sir, my mother and father are married"

Racism has been a part of my life all my life.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Apologies to Syed who seems to have been forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieBarney View Post

thread title includes the word 'almost'

Notice how no-one has challenged the 'old' assertion?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

When I first went to the Caribbean, I was shocked to see black people swimming. Not to mention building boats. Double whammy when I saw many of them were good sailors. Triple whammy when I met "Mooch". Old guy could free dive 80 feet, hold his breath for 3 minutes, and smoked camels and drank rum.
    But I have only met one West Indian who chooses to live aboard a boat.

Notice how no-one has challenged the 'old' assertion?
    besides kat i used to be the youngest regular poster here
    i done got old

I have remarked upon this before.

Other than our fellow forumite Aussie Barney, and a pic of Arch Davis' daughter in WB, I am drawing a blank. The occasional article on a native Carib boat or equivalent doesn't count ( speaking of which I am STILL waiting for an article on racing Arab dhows ).
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    When I first went to the Caribbean, I was shocked to see black people swimming. Not to mention building boats. Double whammy when I saw many of them were good sailors. Triple whammy when I met "Mooch". Old guy could free dive 80 feet, hold his breath for 3 minutes, and smoked camels and drank rum.
    Yep, and it might even be a safe bet that more blacks in the world are using wooden boats, and using them more than whites.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBarney View Post

It only takes one story like that to remind a person what belly-dragging, low-life, behavior some people are capable of. I'm truly sorry you experienced that. That teacher would never be welcome in my home.
    Last edited by CWSmith; 06-20-2017 at 08:22 PM.

besides kat i used to be the youngest regular poster here
    i done got old
    I'm not old. I mean, I'm old to a kid, but I'm not old.

Peace,
    Robert

white male?
    Uh, dude. Isn't this where you met your wife?

Exactly.

Bingo.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

They don't get a pass just 'cause they're not males.
    How amusing it is that people would pass off rudeness as some sort of faux enlightenment.

I got the impression that there are quite a few old women on here...
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....

I've had black friends tell me that they didn't want to sail on a small boat with me because they couldn't swim, including one who had sailed with me for years on a keelboat. Part of the history is that segregation banned many African-Americans from the places they might have learned to swim, which for many people is important for feeling comfortable on a boat.

In the Caribbean, slaves were not allowed to build boats because they might use them to gain their freedom. When Britain freed the slaves, they imported a Scottish shipwright to teach them to build an use boats. He stayed on, married a former slave, and helped start the tradition of good black sailors and shipwrights. The story is in Clean Sweet Wind.

Women are the growth opportunity for sailing, and could be a growth opportunity for boat building as well.

Finally, someone found something nice to say about old white men

Of course black people build and own wooden boats. They just don't have internet. Here are Zanzibar boat-builders. Not a single power tool in sight.

So we basically narrowed down wooden boat owners as older white male eccentrics or those of color who need to make working boats out of scrounged wood using crude tools. I suspect that many of these 3rd World wooden boats builders don't take a subscription to wooden boat magazine nor do they participate on this nonaligned forum. Nice.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-21-2017 at 07:11 AM.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

Non-white, non-Christian, non-male, not-old... and not on the forum

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I've had black friends tell me that they didn't want to sail on a small boat with me because they couldn't swim, including one who had sailed with me for years on a keelboat. Part of the history is that segregation banned many African-Americans from the places they might have learned to swim, which for many people is important for feeling comfortable on a boat.

In the Caribbean, slaves were not allowed to build boats because they might use them to gain their freedom. When Britain freed the slaves, they imported a Scottish shipwright to teach them to build an use boats. He stayed on, married a former slave, and helped start the tradition of good black sailors and shipwrights. The story is in Clean Sweet Wind.

Women are the growth opportunity for sailing, and could be a growth opportunity for boat building as well.
    John, I think the "Scottish" are from Nova Scotia, not Scotland. And I think they were guys who just broke down in the Caribbean . Yes, eventually breeding with blacks. Many " red" West Indians in Bequia and Carriacou.

Carriacou Sloops are derived from Tancook Schooners.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 06-21-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: schooner not whaler

I was wrong, Paul. Good troll after all.
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

I think some of the people who post as males or genderless, are actually ladies. Who are grounded enough to know that prejudice does exist. I've really not thought about blackness, since I tend not to notice it.

Well, there is always Queequeg.

John, I think the "Scottish" are from Nova Scotia, not Scotland. And I think they were guys who just broke down in the Caribbean . Yes, eventually breeding with blacks. Many " red" West Indians in Bequia and Carriacou.
    Those guys came later. It's worthwhile reading Douglas Pyle's book, it has a chapter on the history of boatbuilding in the Lesser Antilles. According to him, Scottish boatbuilders were brought there by the landownerrs to build trading vessels, and he claims that the names of the great boatbuilding families of Cairriacou are proof of this.

But my memory has played me false. The shipwright I was thinking of, who was brought over at the time of the Emancipation, was from Hampshire. His name was Benjamin George Compton. I'm sure some of the expertise came straight from Africa, especially about dugouts. The St. Lucia canots are like nothing ever produced in Europe or America.