Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: why is woodenboat magazine, and the woodenboat forum especially, almost 100%

Default why is woodenboat magazine, and the woodenboat forum especially, almost 100%

white male?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: why is woodenboat magazine, and the woodenboat forum especially, almost 100%

yes, you guys are really quite boring today
    thought to rattle your teacups
    how can we, as mere forum members, increase diversification?

Default Re: why is woodenboat magazine, and the woodenboat forum especially, almost 100%

Remember Wiley Baggins? Long gone (from the Bilge) and sorely missed.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Well there were more women posting on here, now there are not. Some do believe that there was a common denominator to that change.

As this is predominately a U S of A web forum, we need to ask what is the gender demographic in wooden boat building in the US?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Dude. I threw up a burner. C'mon.

Peace,
    Whitey Von Whiterson

Who told you I'm white?
    Rattling the teacups.

OK, try again Paul. I cleaned out the inbox.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Well there were more women posting on here, now there are not. Some do believe that there was a common denominator to that change.

As this is predominately a U S of A web forum, we need to ask what is the gender demographic in wooden boat building in the US?

Nick proves he's colour blind
    i put the u in there ^ just for you

Historical artifact?

Lots of non-white and non-male people the world over build and use wooden boats, but perhaps the types of boats and activities that seem to be the focus of Woodenboat Magazine ("golden age of yachting" and traditional North Atlantic working craft - correct me if this is a mischaracterization) cause some self-selection of the people that subscribe and participate on the boards.

Who the F**K other than white males can afford to own wooden boats? Besides, it's like the VFW or AmVets... all preaching the same crap to themselves over and over.

It's bad enough ponying up the scratch for any sort of boat these days, but wooden boats, and especially vintage-y wooden boats, require a pretty damn deep pocket. Carson is too busy commissioning more portraits of himself at three times life size (I hear the next on will have gold toenails), and who else is there?

Dumb troll, Paul. You can do much better.
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Boating in general, and sailing in particular, is a predominantly "white" activity. Which has no bearing on racism within the community.

'Cause all the smart people discovered FG, and are relaxing on their decks, while we reside under them.
    TZ
    "One can say with certainty that he is not with us at present. It is worth adding, however, that he himself did not always understand what time ought to be considered the present." - Laurus, Eugene Vodolazkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Who the F**K other than white males can afford to own wooden boats?
    WOW....... What a surprisingly racist post.........
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

I dunno; I'm white and male because I was born that way. How 'bout you?

That 'stuff white people like' is very funny. I'm a too old for some of it, but God help me, I sure do fit a lot of the stereotype. Well, that's why it's a stereotype, I guess.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

The archaic wooden yachts seems to be one of the last bastions of older white men with some exceptions. There is no real rational reason to own, restore or build a wooden boat - it is an emotionally related response. Perhaps it is an other example of white folks working to hold on to a system in entropy believing they can change the course of events.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    white male?
    You forgot older. Older white male.

'Cause we're the only ones dumb enough to be owned by wooden boats
    Elect a clown expect a circus

A few years ago, there were several women posting regularly in the Bilge, but when they did anything besides act as surrogate mums, and started arguing politics, etc., they were attacked and driven off this Forum. Several were banned for responding to concerted harrassment. Others simply fell away, likely tired of being a small minority at the old boys' club.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

The question is not only about fixing up old worn out tore outs, it also asks about building new and using them.

Which is a valid question.
    It in not genetic, from an article in The Engineer of 2011
    So why is this? It certainly appears to have little do with any gender-based predisposition. In the world’s industrial superpower, China, more than a third of the engineers are female, while here in the UK female students regularly outperform their male peers in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects at GCSE.
    so if not Nature, it must be Nurture, behaviour learned that their mothers knee that disincentives women from boat building repair and use.

There are black boaters. I run into one or two from time to time because I own a slip in a marina in Rainier Beach (Seattle). I got in cheap during a bankruptcy sale years ago. Wiki says this about that neighborhood:

"The African-American population has been slowly increasing in the neighborhood due in large part to the gentrification in other Seattle neighborhoods that has forced many Blacks to move either into the South end of the city or into the south King County suburbs. [1] Today Rainier Beach has a population of 6,006 and is roughly 55% African American, 20% Asian, 10% Caucasian, 10% Hispanic and 5% from other races. It is now one of only two neighborhoods (the other being the southern end of the Central District) in the city where Blacks make up a majority."

That doesn't answer your question as to why they may not be here. Maybe they are from time to time. You have to go where people are present if you want to meet them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    'Cause we're the only ones dumb enough to be owned by wooden boats
    This is likely the best answer. Or rather, we are dumb to own wooden boats, so the fact that we are all white .....

Apologies to Syed who seems to have been forgotten.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Apologies to Syed who seems to have been forgotten.
    I've seen a photo, I'm pretty certain that he is a bloke.

It is kind of depressing that Emily and Aulikki are pretty much the only women left.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

And Katherine. She certainly holds her own down here.

And Katey.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    And Katherine. She certainly holds her own down here.
    Round Pauls throat?

Or by the lug?

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    And Katey.
    And Margo.

I agree with the statement above that some women have been driven off & it ticks me off. I'm very glad we have at least a few women who can tough it out or stay above the fray. Thank you ladies!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I've seen a photo, I'm pretty certain that he is a bloke.
    Yes, and very much from Pakistan.

They ain't white, now, too, are they?

Peace,
    Robert

FWIW, having spent several decades in the magazine business, what was referred to as the "screwdriver books"--i.e. do-it-yourself themed magazines like Popular Mechanics, Mechanix Illustrated, Popular Science, etc., had the smallest percentage of women readers of any magazine category. Playboy was about 20%, the screwdriver books about one percent. Popular Science had a woman editor, as did Playboy. As for race and gender, several local yacht clubs have had African American commodores, most have had women commodores, and several have had Black women commodores.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    A few years ago, there were several women posting regularly in the Bilge, but when they did anything besides act as surrogate mums, and started arguing politics, etc., they were attacked and driven off this Forum. Several were banned for responding to concerted harrassment. Others simply fell away, likely tired of being a small minority at the old boys' club.
    Puhleease! What baloney.

Cultural memory -- more specifically, Traumatic memory transmission.

One of my black friends once jokingly said to me, "Now Skip, Do you really think an African-American wants to get onto some white guys wooden boat? That didn't work out so well in the past."

I had had to think about that for a minute. Then we both laughed! "no, I guess not!!

Many a truth is said in jest!

Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    Puhleease! What baloney.
    Well, you either have a man crush on the main culprit, you are sublimely unobservant, or you have a very defective memory.

Well, you either have a man crush on the main culprit, you are sublimely unobservant, or you have a very defective memory.
    ^ This
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green