Thread: Boats Seen in Newfoundland

Default Boats Seen in Newfoundland

I've recently returned from a month-long driving tour of Newfoundland. My first time there. Lots of icebergs this year and incredibly bad and late pack ice alongshore this year, which is ruining the fishery on the north coast, but that's another story.

As an island with 1400 outports at one time, which was totally dependent on the sea until recently, with roads coming to many communities only a generation or two ago, as you can imagine boats were critically important. In our wanderings, I came across a number of boats, new and old, that I hadn't encountered before. Here are some images of ones that took my fancy.

Newfoundland Rodney:
    This is the name of a type of small work rowboat found in most harbours around Nfld at one time, apparently. This particular one was spotted on display at "The Rooms", the Provincial museum in Saint John's. It's about 14 ft long. Built by a local boatbuilder. There probably never were plans for these types of boats.

Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Default Re: Boats Seen in Newfoundland

Alex, we're going there in September - what are your "must see" places? We'll miss the icebergs but plan to see all we can in three weeks.

Jamie

PS. I hope there are some more pics coming in this thread?

Frenchman's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

The Wooden Boat Museum in Winterton. I haven't been yet but it is on my must-do list. I've met their master boatbuilder Jerome Canning; he is very knowledgeable and full of stories. http://woodenboatmuseum.com/

Gros Morne is nice, but relatively touristy. I have a friend that owns the Neddies Hr. Inn in Norris Point, probably pricy, but top notch. Definitely the Bay of Islands; it has all the scenery of Gros Morne National Park but none of the crowds and plenty of rugged hikes. Unfortunately there are few places to stay or eat, but if not hiking it can be done in a day trip from Corner Brook. The wooden boats here are motorized semi-dories known as "Lark Harbour dories"; they are often painted bright orange and you'll find picturesque multitudes of them in Frenchman's Cove and Cox's Cove.

The Great Northern Peninsula is interesting, with the coastal barrens, the former Viking site at L'Anse aux Meadows and attractions also at Port au Choix and St. Anthony. Anywhere along the coast is more interesting than the middle, but unfortunately there is no ring road around Newfoundland and to get from one side of the island to the other one has to drive through the boring oceanless middle. A lot of the coastal communities are on long spur roads, which are often in terrible repair but worth it anyway. The south coast is very rugged and taking a ferry to one of the outports is definitely a worthwhile endeavour. I've gone from Burgeo to Ramea and also from Bay L'Argent on the Burin Peninsula to Rencontre East and Pools Cove, but Francois is probably the most stunning and on my bucket list.

The Port au Port Peninsula has some spectacular coastal scenery and can be toured on a day trip from Corner Brook or Stephenville.

St. John's has tons of character; Corner Brook doesn't but has services and you may end up passing through it. Twillingate is popular and Fogo Island also worth it (accessible only by ferry).

Especially near the coast there are barren areas (stunted or no trees), which is due to the summer climate being cold. Bringing gloves and hat may not be a bad idea even in midsummer and good raingear will cut the wind even if it doesn't rain. The south coast is known for frequent (and cold) fog.

Be sure to get screeched in (ask around what that means).

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Orr View Post
    Alex, we're going there in September - what are your "must see" places? We'll miss the icebergs but plan to see all we can in three weeks.

Jamie

PS. I hope there are some more pics coming in this thread?
    Three weeks won't be enough time to see it all. We had 32 days and it wasn't enough. However, you should be able to get a good sampling.
    In addition to what TwoDot recommends, I would add, for those of us from away:
    The Rooms museum, Saint John's (great restaurant for lunch)
    Signal Hill, Saint John's (on a non-foggy day)
    Quidid Vidi town, and brewery tour (The Mallard restaurant is good)
    Cape Spear, Avalon Peninsula
    Cape Race, Avalon Peninsula
    Cape St Marys, Avalon Peninsula for the short hike to the seabird colonies
    Brigus
    Trinity
    Fogo Island
    Twillingate
    Bonavista - the lighthouse. Ye Mathew Legacy
    Beothuk Interpretation Centre, Boyd's Cove
    Wooden Boat Museum in Winterton (not open yet when we were there, but reputed to be interesting)
    Tablelands short hike in Gros Morne - pick up the GPS-enabled tablet at the interpretation centre
    Broom Point Fishing Premises, Gros Morne Park
    Anchors Aweigh show in Rocky Harbour for Nfld music, if you're there on the right night (we weren't)
    St Anthony and L'Anse aux Meadows viking site
    Englee on the Northern Peninsula for the hooked mats on display in the Town Hall
    Conche on the Northern Peninsula for the Bayeux-style tapestry depicting history of the French Shore
    Any hike within your ability in Terra Nova park
    Air museum in Gander for the history of Gander as a airfield
    Vernon's Antique Toy Shop in Swift Current, Burin Peninsula - despite the name this is a collection of about 50 immaculately restored cars, mostly rare convertibles, from 1908 - 1970. Entrance fee collected goes to the local Boy Scouts
    Boat tour out of Bay Bulls to Witless Bay bird colony

In most of the outports, if you're not camping, you'll be staying at B&Bs, as we did, as there are few hotels. Most of the B&B owners are our age or older. It occurred to me while we stayed at them and talked to the owners, that this is likely the last generation to have grown up in the outports before all the roads were pushed through, before resettlement, and, in some cases, before electricity. The stories are worth hearing. Do this trip again 10 or even 5 years from now and they will all likely have retired or moved on.
    You should be there in prime time for the local Nfld wild berry crop, including Partridgeberrires (Lingonberries), Bakeapples, Squashberries, Blueberries, Chuckleypears (Saskatoons), and I don't know what else with unique Nfld names
    Take your bug repellent
    Try not to get involved in the local debate about whether cod is best deep-fried or pan-fried - partisan feelings run deep across the island
    Try the cod tongues
    Outside of Saint John's, the organic food, fair-trade bird friendly coffee, dark chocolate, decent wine and craft beer revolution has yet to happen. Protein and carbohydrates and calories from fat and sugar are easy to come by, veg not so much (except local berries - see above)
    As the highway signs say - Be Moose Alert - about 150,000 moose in Nfld. About 660 car-moose collisions in 2016
    Practise your pothole avoidance. The lesser roads are generally terrible and so average speeds are reduced. Plan distances accordingly.

More pics coming in due course
    Last edited by AJZimm; 06-19-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: more sights to see
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Saw this boat alongside a restaurant. Can't now remember where. One of the locals told me that the boat had belonged to his grandfather, and that they referred to this type of boat as a skiff. Not what the rest of us would call a skiff, but Newfoundlanders have their own terminology for nearly everything.

Not ever likely to go to sea again. (Yes, that's a flagpole poking up through the planking)

Alex

This is "Uncle Sammy's 4 Oar Punt" outside the Wooden Boat Museum in Winterton.

How do I know this?

Interesting terminology:

Stem detail like my glued-lap ply boat:
    Alex

When I'm ready for a motorized boat, one of those dories might do the trick!

Thanks for sharing Alex. What else did you see?

-Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Alongside "Uncle Sammy's 4 oar punt" were a couple of dories.

One was completed and painted in colours I also saw elsewhere many other times in other parts of northern Newfoundland:

Another was under construction:

Longitudinal-planked bottom:

Transom:

I don't know enough about the various dory styles to know how this might differ from practice in say, Nova Scotia, or Maine. It did look to me to be a standard nesting dory for Banks cod fishing.
    Alex

Great pictures, Thank you. Newfoundland is a place I would love to visit.

It is a shame to see that one cylinder Atlantic engine just sitting there in Britney & Brothers.

I think it's great when people visit these places and then take the trouble to show us the boats they've found. Thanks very much!

Rick

Thanks Alex, also BOI and Twodot for things to see. I'll have to study the map and shake them all into some kind of order!

Jamie

Across the street from the Wooden Boat Museum in Winterton is this:

I have no idea if it is a major project that stalled or a demo of framing techniques. There was no one around to ask. Looked like it had been sitting there awhile.

ps: the red octagonal box in the foreground is for the garbage on roadside collection day. You see these all over Newfoundland, usually brightly painted.
    Alex

Now for some non-wooden boats, which are nonetheless interesting, in my view (well, one might be a wooden boat). These are boats on the hard in St Anthonys, at the tip of the Northern Peninsula. They are waiting for the pack ice to move off so that they can get out and fish. And yes that is snow on the ground, June 2nd. They had a very late winter and spring.

There were other boats that were in the water, but also waiting for the ice. It moved in and out of the harbour at least twice while we were there, depending on the wind. These are good, honest work boats.

Alex

In 1497, John Cabot "discovered" Newfoundland, notwithstanding that the Indigneous peoples had been there for about 9,000 years and the Vikings had spent a couple of years there at a settlement in L'Anse aux Meadows. It is also likely that Basques and probably Portuguese cod fishermen knew about what was later called the Grand Banks and may have landed in Newfoundland to dry their catch.
    Nonetheless Cabot's voyage brought official attention to the area. Tradition has it that he landed at Bonavista. For the 500th anniversary celebrations of his landing, a replica of his ship was built in England and sailed to Newfoundland, where it still resides in an exhibition shed in Bonavista.
    No plans exist of his original ship but it was known that it was about 50 tons and was referred to as a navicula, or caravel. Based on this NA Colin Mudie drew plans for a typical vessel of the era of that size and rig.

It's impossible to get an overall picture of the boat when its in the shed, but here are a few pictures. It's worth visiting.

Stern

At Foredeck looking toward Bow

Rudder on main deck with whipstaff to poop deck

Another view of the aft deck[IMG]
    Alex

It's St. John's, not Saint John's (Saint John is in New Brunswick) 3 unfortunate people ended up in the wrong city and province just last week by making the same mistake)

We'll be going next June.

Thanks for all the photos and tips.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Two years ago my wife & I visited Newfoundland (again) and did what we called "the right-hand tour" of the Burin Peninsula in the S-E corner of the province. This entailed getting off the Trans-Canada Highway at Goobies (love that name!) onto Highway 210, and starting at Jacques Fontaine, turning right at every intersection we came to. When we reached the end of each road, we retraced our steps, turning right at each opportunity. In this manner we circumnavigated (by road) the entire Burin Peninsula in four days and three nights, and visited wonderful communities such as Harbour Mille, Grand Bank, Lawn, and my favourite place to date, Petit Forte.

I lived in Newfoundland for a total of five years, and have returned to visit many times in the past thirty years. It is one of my favourite places in the world. Sadly, many (most) of the small inshore boats are gone now, but the people and small communities have managed to hang on to a great deal of the other parts of their heritage, and are richer for it. And when you get to Winterton and visit the boatbuilding museum, say "hi" to the resident boatbuilder and my old classmate, Jerome.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

mmd,

Nice to hear you enjoyed "the right-hand tour" on the Burin. I grew up (and now live) in Epworth, a right hand turn between St. Lawrence and the town of Burin. (see link to a photo circa 1890 on Memorial University's website showing Epworth with - a schooner, jack-boat and smaller punts (skiffs) http://collections.mun.ca/cdm/single...id/3299/rec/11.) A few of us on the Burin are making attempts to build and keep some smaller traditional boats on moorings in our bays and coves, (keeps the heart warm and provides photo ops) but the work of keeping wharfs and break-waters in-tact seems futile (as compared to those in the photo).

On Fogo Island, they seem to have a greater number to hobby builders, and it shows when travelling their shores. They have annual races for "Rodney's" and each winter, these builders often "tweak" their designs to gain an edge for next year's races. Several of these builders and boats can be seen on the Winterton site. http://woodenboatmuseum.com/

Back in university, I dated a girl from Lord's Cove. Visited her folks out that way, stopping at Goobie's on the way. The bus ride was interminable but once we were there, it was fun. I spent about 6 years in St John's going to school and loved it. I have been back a few times since joining the navy and love it every time. I was there Canada day 2016 on our way back from the eastern Med. George street was just as I recall it from my university days 20 years ago.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Been away most of July.

Some more boats seen.
    These in the village of Salvage.

This guy is still using traditionally shaped lobster pots

You can see why the fishing was bad this spring.
    Alex

This one seen in Tilting, on Fogo Island. Bit of a fixer-upper.
    Alex

At the Boyd's Cove Beothuk Site, there is a reproduction of a Beothuk birchbark canoe. The high point in the middle of the shear is authentic, according to contemporary drawings that I've seen, but I couldn't find any explanation for why it was that way. Others may know.

Also, it appears that the Beothuk used red ochre for everything, covering themselves and their possessions with it. There is some conjecture that the the Beothuk were the first indigenous north americans encountered by Europeans, which gave rise to the term "red Indians" (now considered to be pejorative).

Alex

Saw this rodney at one of the towns on Twillingate Island, I think. Don't now recall exactly which. It's a little worse for wear, but I liked that it had most of it's details intact. You can see that it was rigged as a little yawl. From the position of the foremast step, it may have had a small jib, as well.

Alex

More pictures of the rodney. Not sure what the mallet would have been used for. Doesn't look like it had a rudder as such but an oar stuck through the hole in the transom.

Alex

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Great pictures Alex. I'm glad you had a chance to visit this magical place. We visited a few years ago and liked it so much we decided to move here!
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Thanks for the excellent photos and descriptions. We were planning a trip in early June, but seeing your photos of ice onshore, I might think about late June-early July.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Thanks for the excellent photos and descriptions. We were planning a trip in early June, but seeing your photos of ice onshore, I might think about late June-early July.

Any thoughts?
    This year the pack ice was late leaving the west coast and central. Late June - early July is perfect for iceberg watching. There is a great website for bergs. If you had looked at it a month ago you would have been amazed. We get a lot of people in town that are chasing bergs based on the website.
    www.icebergfinder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    Great pictures Alex. I'm glad you had a chance to visit this magical place. We visited a few years ago and liked it so much we decided to move here!
    Hi Steve. Glad you like them. I see you're in Burlington. We visited La Scie and King's Point but didn't make the side trip into Burlington, I'm afraid.
    Alex

Another boat, albeit a flying one and on dry land, in Botwood. It's a PBY Catalina, I think, but I don't know enough about them to tell you which variant.

I had no idea before we went there that this was the site of the first regularly scheduled transatlantic air service. Based in large part, apparently, on the recommendation of Charles Lindbergh, who landed there in 1933, I think.
    There is a Flying Boat Museum in Botwood, but it was closed when we were there.
    Alex

Saw this one for sale in Point Leamington. Nothing fancy, but looks like a workmanlike conversion. Nothing yachty about it. I liked the lines of the hull and even the house isn't too bad.

Alex

Thanks for the iceberg website. I'm guessing that the dense floating ice fetching up on the Newfoundland coast is the result of a large acceleration in the melting and calving of the Greenland glaciers.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Thanks for the iceberg website. I'm guessing that the dense floating ice fetching up on the Newfoundland coast is the result of a large acceleration in the melting and calving of the Greenland glaciers.

Any ideas?
    Yes it is. Climate change is being felt first hand here.
    If you come this way please let me know. You are welcome here. I hope to have our private guest suite ready by next summer. Be prepared - if you come I will be wanting to pick your brain on greenhouse stuff, that's part of our project for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    If you come this way please let me know. You are welcome here. I hope to have our private guest suite ready by next summer. Be prepared - if you come I will be wanting to pick your brain on greenhouse stuff, that's part of our project for next year.
    Thanks for the offer. Herself is busy with guidebooks, so I'll mark Burlington on the map and see what she thinks. On the Irish west coast she got tired of my penchant for gazing on boats, at some length.

If you're going to build a greenhouse next summer, you shouldn't wait 'til June for brain-picking. I'm not sure I'll be much help, as ours is set up for a very different set of conditions. When I was in Sitka, Alaska, gardeners had greenhouses to keep the rain off. Your local climate is certainly cloudier and wetter than ours.

cheers—