Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Arson

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    11,465

    Default Arson

    As I've alluded to here various times, we have a coffee round table every weekday morning at a local coffee shop. For over 15 years we have had a core group of regular characters who meet at 6:00 am and not only solve a lot of world problems but start the day with some hearty laughs. Most of us are boaters and one of our favorite sayings when conversations stray too far into politics or geezer ailments is, "Let's talk about boats", and everyone laughs and moves on. The place has been especially important to me since I've retired in that it provides an incentive to get out of bed and shave and start the day with real people.

    Friday night around 11:30 some less than worthless excuses for humans decided to stack up the outside chairs against the window and light them on fire. Rumor is that four teenagers were seen running away but that is unconfirmed. The fire department got there soon but not before extensive damage was done. I think it can be saved and I sure hope they decide to rather than raze it for a new condo building.

    Another sadness is that the very likable crew of young baristas are now out of jobs. We will find a temporary coffee shop but it won't be the same. So here's hoping that Cafe Fiore and her crew will rise from the ashes soon.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North West Arkansas
    Posts
    63,376

    Default Re: Arson

    hear, hear
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    11,465

    Default Re: Arson

    Here's our round table of fifteen years.

    [IMG][/IMG]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North West Arkansas
    Posts
    63,376

    Default Re: Arson

    all for a lark... and we lowered the voting age
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Hyannis, MA, USA
    Posts
    41,978

    Default Re: Arson

    Very sorry for your loss. Such places are most special.

    My only daily was The Roundtable in Cannon Beach in the seventies. Regulars would get in at opening, 0600, and in winter that was dark. We'd then not disturb with any street movement until the elk had made their amble from Ecola down to the south end of town.

    Now it's a Saturday morning in winter (out of sailing season) group of the Kedgers Club at a place where the general hygiene offers us an opportunity to maintain our immunities . . .

    Also back in the seventies my sister had such a regular place in Bethlaham Connecticut. There the regulars were dairy farmers who'd already been up at work for a few hours but would be taking a break starting about 0630. After an hour, someone would stand up and say, "Let's do some farming." And out they'd all troop.

    Sometimes the ritual is a local individual. I was having a quite egg and a pint on an early morning at a little place on the edges of Fort William, Scotland. At some point the landlord the landlord set up at the bar a glass of whisky, a pint of beer, and a raw egg. Within moments, an angular fellow walked in, cracked the egg one handed on his nose and poured it into his mouth, took in the whisky, poured the pint down, and strolled out, no doubt well set for the day.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ballard
    Posts
    7,416

    Default Re: Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    As I've alluded to here various times, we have a coffee round table every weekday morning at a local coffee shop. For over 15 years we have had a core group of regular characters who meet at 6:00 am and not only solve a lot of world problems but start the day with some hearty laughs. Most of us are boaters and one of our favorite sayings when conversations stray too far into politics or geezer ailments is, "Let's talk about boats", and everyone laughs and moves on. The place has been especially important to me since I've retired in that it provides an incentive to get out of bed and shave and start the day with real people.

    Friday night around 11:30 some less than worthless excuses for humans decided to stack up the outside chairs against the window and light them on fire. Rumor is that four teenagers were seen running away but that is unconfirmed. The fire department got there soon but not before extensive damage was done. I think it can be saved and I sure hope they decide to rather than raze it for a new condo building.

    Another sadness is that the very likable crew of young baristas are now out of jobs. We will find a temporary coffee shop but it won't be the same. So here's hoping that Cafe Fiore and her crew will rise from the ashes soon.
    Caffe Fiore is about six blocks from my house. Best coffee shop in town. They didn't have wifi. I liked that. I've seen you guys in there before, too, but didn't realize you were part of that group. Salty looking crew. I hope they rebuild.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    42,983

    Default Re: Arson

    "worthless excuses for humans"
    There's plenty of them, and the worst ones are not teenagers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    9,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Caffe Fiore is about six blocks from my house. Best coffee shop in town. They didn't have wifi. I liked that. I've seen you guys in there before, too, but didn't realize you were part of that group. Salty looking crew. I hope they rebuild.

    Really? I'm down on 66th near 32nd. We should get a session together one of these days....Sloop Tavern, maybe? I'm fairly sure Ballard can get a minyan together for a proper WBF elbow bending session

    But the best coffee in town is Bambino over on 65th & 4th
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    19,966

    Default Re: Arson

    Sorry to hear of this. I'll say right up front that I'm jealous of that camaraderie! There certainly are thoughtless people out there - but I'll stop at that before I get political...

    Here's hoping it does get rebuilt & not replaced by a condo or some such.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    11,465

    Default Re: Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Sorry to hear of this. I'll say right up front that I'm jealous of that camaraderie! There certainly are thoughtless people out there - but I'll stop at that before I get political...

    Here's hoping it does get rebuilt & not replaced by a condo or some such.
    The camaraderie is really the special part. We found a new coffee shop that worked okay this morning and all the regulars showed up. I have known for a long time how special this situation is, even as some of the people gradually change out over time. But the simple fact that we start the day usually with a lot of laughs is really important. It should be required for all, especially retirees. I am not a hugely social person but this is the one time of the day that I interact with real live people (yes I know, you guys are more than just avatars. ) I strongly hope that the old Cafe Fiore gets rebuilt, but I'm not holding my breath, it may be prime real estate for a new condo for some more Jeff Bezos minions. But this morning proved that it's the people more than the space. We will survive.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    19,966

    Default Re: Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    The camaraderie is really the special part. We found a new coffee shop that worked okay this morning and all the regulars showed up. I have known for a long time how special this situation is, even as some of the people gradually change out over time. But the simple fact that we start the day usually with a lot of laughs is really important. It should be required for all, especially retirees. I am not a hugely social person but this is the one time of the day that I interact with real live people (yes I know, you guys are more than just avatars. ) I strongly hope that the old Cafe Fiore gets rebuilt, but I'm not holding my breath, it may be prime real estate for a new condo for some more Jeff Bezos minions. But this morning proved that it's the people more than the space. We will survive.
    Good to hear. I'm a founding member of the Hanksville Mens Sensitivity Group & Militia. We've been meeting Monday nights during the fall (aka MNF ) for a little over 30 years - so I can relate. We've dropped to 4 or 5 "diehard" members - but it's still a wonderful thing.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    11,465

    Default Re: Arson

    Good news; the owner has definitely decided to restore Cafe Fiore to as near original as possible. Our group has offered to restore the round table as best we can (one of our group is a master furniture builder/restorer). There isn't much damage to the table, just some charred edges. I'm thinking we may want to encapsulate the damaged areas and keep it as part of story. Not sure that will be possible, but we'll see. For now, no condos!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    19,966

    Default Re: Arson

    Excellent news!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    central, FL
    Posts
    13,221

    Default Re: Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Good news; the owner has definitely decided to restore Cafe Fiore to as near original as possible. Our group has offered to restore the round table as best we can (one of our group is a master furniture builder/restorer). There isn't much damage to the table, just some charred edges. I'm thinking we may want to encapsulate the damaged areas and keep it as part of story. Not sure that will be possible, but we'll see. For now, no condos!
    Perfect, I was going to suggest getting that table, even if you don't do anything immediately with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    7,370

    Default Re: Arson

    Back in my working years, the morning coffee was from a place known as "Court House Deli", but it was known as "Woody's", because the proprietor was named Woody.
    Alas, Woody drowned one summer, and the place was closed for a week.
    It reopened, and someone wondered what the new place would be called.
    A nearly retired court bailiff christened it "Dead Woody's" and the name stuck.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    24,502

    Default Re: Arson

    Good news that it will re-open.

    A local 'snug' is a wonderful thing, along with a posse to go with it.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

    RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    24,833

    Default Re: Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Back in my working years, the morning coffee was from a place known as "Court House Deli", but it was known as "Woody's", because the proprietor was named Woody.
    Alas, Woody drowned one summer, and the place was closed for a week.
    It reopened, and someone wondered what the new place would be called.
    A nearly retired court bailiff christened it "Dead Woody's" and the name stuck.
    In that same vein, maybe change this one from Café Fiore (flower) to Café Fuoco (fire).

    Good to see the community come together on this.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ballard
    Posts
    7,416

    Default Re: Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Really? I'm down on 66th near 32nd. We should get a session together one of these days....Sloop Tavern, maybe? I'm fairly sure Ballard can get a minyan together for a proper WBF elbow bending session

    But the best coffee in town is Bambino over on 65th & 4th
    A fine idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,151

    Default Re: Arson

    Sounds good
    Elect a clown expect a circus

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    4,640

    Default Re: Arson

    I definitely appreciate a fine coffee establishment like that where I meet people I know. I'm glad to see that the damage isn't too extensive and that it will rise from the ashes. We had something like that for a while but it closed for various reasons. The building was eventually replaced by a Jacks. So I had to move on.
    Will

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    11,465

    Default Re: Arson

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Really? I'm down on 66th near 32nd. We should get a session together one of these days....Sloop Tavern, maybe? I'm fairly sure Ballard can get a minyan together for a proper WBF elbow bending session

    But the best coffee in town is Bambino over on 65th & 4th
    I've been known to knock down a schooner at the Sloop a time or two. Count me in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •