Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78

Thread: Gil Smith catboat "Lorelei"

Default Re: Gil Smith catboat "Lorelei"

Here is a better photo of the rigging. There is a forestay and four lines going up the mast. Two are for the peak and throat then two for lazy jacks. You can also see how the main sheet is rigged.

84AF5773-E845-4DC2-92DD-A665DE9F9394.jpg

Firbeck, Notts/South Yorks border, England

Thanks for the response and kind words folks.

Rich, you will see that Tom has posted here and kindly offered to send more information on the Gil Smith catboat rig. I will certainly have a look at the method you recommended for rounding the mast. The sports car is no longer the classic MGRV8 but a modern, limited edition, Mazda MX5 (Sport Graphite) which I am still allowed to drive with the MG Sports Club...so I get the best of both worlds.

Beaker, many thanks for your offer of seeking information at your club meetings at LIMM, West Sayville. If you go back to some of the posts you will see that Tom has responded to my call for help with regard to the mast/spars rigging. He works there and has supplied all the previous photos/dimensions. Having said that, any info you can glean must surely help. I see that you are living in Patchoque, the birthplace of 'Lorelei' and of course the site of Gil Smith's former boatyard...magic!

Tom, thanks for responding to my call for information on the rigging layout. I was particularly curious about how the boom attaches to the foot of the mast and the method of rigging ropes to the gaff spar. etc.

Jim, I hope you don't find it too patronising for me to say welcome to my thread, because I consider it a bit of an honour. Yes, that tumblehome was a challenge but I have to admit that it was achieved by the use of some artful bodging. I am very pleased that your thread was reopened and calm restored. As for the cataracts, I have seen two more eye surgeons since I last mentioned the problem and after more treatment I have been signed off from hospital to opticians. So I am back to wearing varifocals with fairly good results. I honestly believe that some physical-damage was caused during surgery to the left eye which thankfully healed itself over a period of about 20 weeks. The grittiness has gone at last and things have settled down. I can now see well enough for some very accurate bodging.

Don, here are a few photos of the boom for a plumb stem cat that was built back in 2004 (the one in photos of me sailing). Two different views. All the photos are of the spars hanging from the rafters so the orientation is a bit confusing so feel free to ask questions.
    BCFB4B5A-8CE5-4E59-831C-C572E0D1C02E.jpg

E97C826B-186B-4E68-A981-4FFEFD90B667.jpg
    Last edited by Tokamecotom; 12-03-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Here’s the base of the mast. You’ll note that the spars on this one are fairly stout.
    F39FB614-85FA-4B90-B139-AA696290B58D.jpg

Top of the mast- note the block for the forestay.

4FFEABCD-3D19-48A1-BE15-999E5718837B.jpg

Hello Tom,

Many thanks for the series of photos showing layout and structure of the mast, spars and rigging for a c.1915 Gil Smith Catboat. I was surprised to see a yoke on the boom spar. The c.1880s 'Melonseed' replica (Mallard) that I built in 2007/2009 had the same setup but I was convinced that the mast to boom on the much later 'Lorelei' would have used a gooseneck setup.

I have managed to glue up the Douglas Fir 'birdsmouth' mast and now in the process of rounding it in my very cold machine shed. Having said that, I only have two machines in there now. One is a Startrite E351 bandsaw which I used to do all the heavy cutting on both boats. The other is a recently acquired Shopsmith Mk5 plus many accessories which I have hardly used. I paid only 300 for it, sold to me by a lady whose husband ran off with her best friend so.....she sold off the contents of his very considerable tool shed. I got there first and stepped in to help her get even! I am looking forward to putting it to some good use but no more boats. They are very time consuming and addictive. I need to get back to my RC model aircraft building and flying.

Well, Tom, it's getting close to Christmas again so I will wish you and yours all the best wishes and a happy new year. I will add to the thread when I have anything useful to say or when I start work again next year and will certainly keep you informed when it hits the water at Rother Valley Country Park in South Yorkshire.

Kind Regards,

Don
    Last edited by Don Scott; 12-06-2018 at 07:28 PM.

That’s an interesting story about the Shopsmith, I’ve heard they are great machines for people with limited space and time to convert it to the various configurations. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you’ll get an early start in the spring. I’m looking forward to photos of you sailing your Lorelei.

A very merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Boom jaws were common in small boats; You had to have access to a foundry/ machine shop to fabricate them. Yacht builders like HMC and Lawley could and did do them.The later post WWI or so Cape Cod cats produced in quantities went for them. Sometime when I'm down at Mystic I'll have a look at the cat spars in the Mystic collection to see which have jaws, which have goosenecks. Many of the small boat jaws for both boom and gaff are long and rather elegant with long toes riveted to the spars and the spars tapered a bit. Some are actually inlet so there is a smooth transition from spar to jaw.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Well, the cat is back in the 'Boat Shed' and I have started working on it now that the weather is getting better. There is not much to show but the photographs give an idea of the surroundings. Spent a whole day yesterday, trying to unjam the centreboard which I was test fitting so as to bore the fulcrum pin. It was a great struggle using only one pair of hands when it really needed two but, I got there in the end.

I have done some rounding of the birds-eye mast but it needs to be reduced further so that it will go through the deck. Those two white poles are 2" diameter, off the shelf stair handrails made of unidentified wood species...could be hemlock but not sure and are made up of 1/4" laminated pieces. They are not too heavy but need to be reduced in diameter anyway for use as boom and gaff spars. I just could not find anyone who would supply me with Douglas Fir so have to make do with these. I have started on the cockpit coaming which will be made up of a plywood core sandwiched between veneers of very dark coloured latts of Western Red Cedar. The bit that I have done seems quite strong.

I have been checking out one or two companies that sell used and old/unused sails. There seems to be plenty gaff sails available but finding one that comes near to my mast/boom/gaff spar dimensions is a pretty tall order. I am working on the 'shape' of a cut down sail I used for a 16' Melonseed I built a few years ago. The suggested dimensions for this (Mark Barto plan) worked out at : Luff = 7'9" : Leech = 16'9" : Foot = 10'10" : Head = 7'9" : TS = 12'4". These were set on a mast/14'6", boom/11'6", gaff/8'. However, these are too small for my 2/3 scale "Lorelei" replica.

My mast will be 15' overall (call it 14' above deck). The boom will need to be a minimum of 15' long to reach the horse and the gaff spar about 9' to 10' long.
    So the sail is going to be somewhere in the region of : Luff = 8' : Leech = 18' : Foot = 13' : Head = 12' : TS? but will need to be a dimension that will allow sufficient height above the helmsman to be safe when the boom comes across. The difficulty is, of course, that this is a 2/3 replica but will be sailed by a full sized human! That is the quandary I was always going to have to face. That is why I have not allowed a high spend on wood and also why I am seeking a cheap sail. I don't mind if my experiment fails because I have had sufficient pleasure from the building process...and anyway, I was warned about the possible outcome.

20190321_153007.jpg 20190321_153120.jpg20190321_153102.jpg

Duckworks makes a reasonably priced sail. Might be a better option than cutting down a used one. Might even be cheaper.

Thanks Tim, I will have to look into that idea. We have a used sail dealer over here (Jeckells) who would charge about 250 for a used gaff sail of the size I am after...if they had one!

Well, I didn't find a used sail that would 'fit' my boat so I decided to have a go at making my own. My son in law had given me a book last Christmas.... 'The Sailmaker’s Apprentice' by Emiliano Marino which describes itself as 'a Guide for the Self-Reliant Sailor'. It would have been better termed 'a warning to the would be home sailmaker without the correct equipment'.

I started by purchasing 200m x 50mm of good quality dacron sailcloth (
    Dimension Polyant. 170g /m2)
    in YELLOW! The rest is history...thank goodness. I would not recommend anyone to indulge in sail making unless you have an industrial sewing machine. I used my wife's domestic machine and regretted it all the way. The main problem is that it would not feed the material through and slid all over the place with zigzag stitches going every which way. After days of toil and some considerable bad language I got there and it will hopefully do its job.

193.jpg194.jpg

I took one photograph for starters which shows a table full of equipment and material. Because I had no exact plan for this Gil Smith design I decided to use a drawing in the book as a basis which was described as a Beetle Cat sail. With permission, I used a long stretch of carpet which joins the Lounge to the dining area which was the only place big enough. I worked out all the measurements on the floor (photo on its side?), adding strips as I went and slowly stitching and rolling the growing sail until I had eleven pieces stitched together to make an oversize whole. Then I pegged out the exact size on the front lawn so as to mark off the correct finished shape and tabling allowances. Then came some of the worst moments of incorporating the boltrope, tablings and strengthening patches at the major corners and positions... much bunching of thread and snapping of needles!

I still have the rings to fit and the reefing patches to apply but the worst is over, thank goodness....never again. The other photos show overall finish and example of reinforced corners. I hope to replace those metal staples on the leather rub strips when I get access to an industrial machine.

195.jpg196.jpg
    Last edited by Don Scott; 05-04-2019 at 05:57 AM.

Just thought I would bump this thread up before it falls off the edge of the cliff and in case there are people who are still interested in this build. I am very close to finishing the boat now and looking forward to getting it into the water. I have a few photos to add but not much to write home about...series of shots to show construction of gaff yoke, almost finished group mast and yokes, range of hardware gathered ready for selection. As you can see I am using very basic metal blocks to conform with those on the original boat (note the bamboo embroidery rings that I am going to use as mast hoops...with a little modification and very much cheaper than the real thing I am hopeful that they will do the job). A not very clear pencil drawing of sail with copious notes on dimensions and what goes where.
    .200.jpg201.jpg203.jpg206.jpg207.jpg

Just a few pictures of todays antics trying to rig the boat in a light breeze. I managed to determine where all the fittings should be permanently mounted but I could not manage to test fit the boom. Every time I tried to lash the sail to the clew the boat was almost blown on its side....good omens? Anyway, the photos below will give a fair idea where I am at. Lots of loose ends to tie up but nothing more of interest to continue this thread. However, I will post photos when this catboat finally hits the water. I don't have a name for it yet but I would like something that will be a reminder of Gil Smith, the man who built the original 25' "Lorelei" in 1915, which is now on display at the Long Island Maritime Museum in West Sayville, New York State. I would also like to thank Tom (Tokamecotom) without whose help I would never have started this project. To late now to learn how to stop portrait shots appearing on their sides!

208a.jpg210.jpg211.jpg213.jpg20190628_145201.jpg

Looking grand!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

That yellow sail looks great with all that varnished wood. She's stunning.

Don- she looks lovely, you’ve done a fine job on her.

Bumping this thread to the first page so as to make it easier for my brother Malcolm to find and enjoy.
    I have decided to call the boat "Merecat" after much deliberation. It will not be launched until springtime next year at the Rother Valley country park (near Sheffield) due to toxic water conditions caused by blue algae.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Scott View Post
    Just a few pictures of todays antics trying to rig the boat in a light breeze. I managed to determine where all the fittings should be permanently mounted but I could not manage to test fit the boom. Every time I tried to lash the sail to the clew the boat was almost blown on its side....good omens? Anyway, the photos below will give a fair idea where I am at. Lots of loose ends to tie up but nothing more of interest to continue this thread. However, I will post photos when this catboat finally hits the water. I don't have a name for it yet but I would like something that will be a reminder of Gil Smith, the man who built the original 25' "Lorelei" in 1915, which is now on display at the Long Island Maritime Museum in West Sayville, New York State. I would also like to thank Tom (Tokamecotom) without whose help I would never have started this project. To late now to learn how to stop portrait shots appearing on their sides!

20190628_145201.jpg
    If you can shorten that gaff span you will develop more power in the peak halyard.
    You can cure the photo orientation by opening the photo in a picture editor, rotating it to the correct orientation and saving a copy.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Bumped to top first page to help friend to find the thread which had slid down due to dormancy. For anyone still interested in this build I may be able to update a bit shortly....but the catboat has yet to be launched due to present world situation.

I'm still interested!

Very interested!

Bumped up to help a number of my Hebburn on Tyne friends to find this almost dormant thread.

bumped to help Firbeck Sailing Club friends find this thread. thank you

Bumped again to aid researchers. This build project did not reach the finishing and launch stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Scott View Post
    Bumped again to aid researchers. This build project did not reach the finishing and launch stage.
    I'm sorry to hear that, Don. You've done a wonderful job and she looks fantastic. Having seen a number of actual Gil Smith boats I'd say yours is spot on!

Jim

Hopefully you can finish her up or find someone who can.
    Good luck!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Jim, many thanks for those very kind words. I could not wish for a better compliment than one from such an authority as yours.

Rich, l am afraid that age caught up with me so, like you say, I will have to pass the boat on for someone else to finish and launch.

I promise to end the story by placing a photo in this thread when she finally hits the water.

Kind regards to all who followed this thread.

Don

Great thread--thanks for sharing it here. With luck, your catboat will find its way to good hands, and into the water. She is a real beauty (and I never knew about Gil Smith before your thread, so thanks for that, too).

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

that thing is going to stop some traffic on the ramp!
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Looks great… and authentic!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Beautiful!