Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: Gil Smith catboat "Lorelei"

Default Re: Gil Smith catboat "Lorelei"

Don- the tillers were made from one piece of white oak. The "diamond" shaped feature was a unique feature of his tillers. The last one I made was from a scrap piece of 2 inch planking stock because it had to be about 7 inches in depth. Maybe a thick stair tread would a better choice?

I should think that locust might be a good choice for a rudder post. It is also good for a tiller if you can find it over there. One of our woods that would work is Osage Orange also called Bois d' Arc. One of the toughest woods I know of! Rot and bug proof, it is also heavy. I would not choose it for a tiller though.
    Then, a piece of your fine English Elm might suffice.
    Just some thoughts from an admirer of your work and choice of design. "Lorelei" is a secductive witch for sure!
    Jay

Firbeck, Notts/South Yorks border, England

Thanks for that advice Tom and the latest photographs I have just received...and Jay, for that extra information about wood alternatives. Dutch Elm caused the demise of many of our fine home grown species but I haven't seen much of it about in the timber yards. I suspect that most of it was burned to try and eradicate the disease. Rich, I'm so very pleased that your purpose on this planet has reached its zenith with that corking idea for an epoxy rudder tube which 'steered' me in the right direction. I am very pleased with the results anyway.

I am still glassing the interior and look forward to posting more photos but, it will be a while yet...other jobs keep getting in the way.

Well, I got across to Jackson Woodturners of Sheffield today and picked up a piece of American White Oak. It was cut from a plank end especially for me by a gentleman who was only too pleased to help.
    I brought it back home and just couldn't wait to have a go at that Gil Smith tiller 'terminal'. It is only roughly cut and marked out but here is a photo of it anyway.

After about an hour I ended up with this slightly oversize feature on the tiller end but I can't say that this was deliberate. I'm pleased it worked out that way though because it would have looked a bit sorry for itself at 2/3 scale. It was very satisfying work using only a Perma Grit rasp so it wasn't really a wood carving exercise. It was probably more like trying to develop the facets on a diamond and all the time using the eyeball to balance each one against the others.

You're doing great work Don. This is going to be a beautiful boat when it's done.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Scott View Post
    After about an hour I ended up with this slightly oversize feature on the tiller end but I can't say that this was deliberate. I'm pleased it worked out that way though because it would have looked a bit sorry for itself at 2/3 scale. It was very satisfying work using only a Perma Grit rasp so it wasn't really a wood carving exercise. It was probably more like trying to develop the facets on a diamond and all the time using the eyeball to balance each one against the others.

That looks like Gil himself made it Don.

Couldn't wish for a better compliment than that, Tom. I don't have anything worth a photo yet and still struggling away with the internal glassing. I don't quite have the 'nack' of glassing and not too happy with the results of my labours. The only saving grace is the fact that most of it will be hidden by the duck boards.

Don't know why it comes to mind but I was wondering if Gil Smith has a marked resting place. Not that I will ever visit of course but one of the reasons for interest in Lorelei is the fact that it comes from an age gone by and even though I am not a citizen of the USA I can still conjure up warm visions in my mind of the way boat building might have been in those days...even with only the sketchiest photo of his boatyard.

Not much to show for the last few weeks because of numerous problems which I will not bore you with. Then my PC gave up the ghost and had to be replaced. The weather hasn't been kind either and we have had much rain and a steady drop in temperature.

I have completed the intermediate ribs which are made from oak laminate, turned the rudder post and now forming the rudder itself. The lazerette is about to be closed off just as soon as I get the holes drill for the 'horse'. Other than that I have slowed down a bit and may not get much more done through the winter. I can't use a heater in the boat shed because the only way to get around the boat is to have the double doors open.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Scott View Post
    Two excellent pictures.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Just fishing for ideas. We all make mistakes and my latest one is forgetting to include limber holes in the frames. However, the frames are so shallow that, to have included them would have compromised the strength of the frames. The only course of action might be to drill very small holes and use short pieces of ultra small bore plastic pipe, well sealed...but how do I produce those holes parallel to the bottom? Is there a tool to do the job...an ordinary drill chuck is going to get in the way and produce holes at an angle.

Try using a long drill half the size you need and drill from both sides angled down so that you come out above the plank. Then use a gouge to open the hole out down to the plank, and a rat tail file to make the hole round. For those skinny timbers, cut them back and glue a tapered arm to the top, pocketed into the cb case bed logs.

OK, Nick, I will give that a try. I made the same omission when I built the Melonseed a few years ago and it was a pain mopping up between every frame after every sailing.

Perhaps a right angle drill adapter could be of use?

I noticed that in your photo's, but didn't feel right pointing it out.
    Nick has the best answer probably, could you try a Dremel type tool with the flexible extension and a burr bit as big as you can find.
    The intermediate frames are so small that you could be better off to cut them short and glue a tapered piece of wood over the top that continues onto the top of the Keelson. Much quicker, tidy solution.

Thanks for those ideas folks. I will use a combination of all your ideas to put things right. I have found an old flexible drive in one of my sheds which has not been used for the past 30+ years. Your idea of notching the thinner ribs has given me another idea. If I bridge the gap to the height of the larger ribs, I can use same thickness for cross member strips to join the duck boards directly above the thin ribs. That will allow the duck boards to rest at 7" intervals instead of 14". The bonus = thinner/lighter duck boards. I will take some photographs as do this job.

It is surprising how much time can be spent on boatbuilding with very little visual evidence to show for it. Most of the work done recently has mostly been to do with minor alterations and gluing up assemblies here there and everywhere. I have a habit of leaving glue ups till the last minute so as not to have to resort to the chisel and mallet to put things right. Anyway, I have moved forward enough now to be able to see where I have been!

The first photo is a general shot to show that I have actually done something in the last few weeks. This includes chopping an opening in F23 to receive those little double doors. I was going to just retain that station as a watertight bulkhead by making dummy (none opening) doors, but I thought I might as well do the job properly, albeit with the use of 9mm plywood. I've yet to find some SS hinges that are small enough.

I decided to try and reproduce the correct colour (light blue?) of the interior and am using what used to be called Blake's Bilge & Locker Paint. It is now produced by a company called 'Hempel' in an almost identical tin with the same spec. This will contrast quite well with what appears to be a sage green colour of the duckboards (I feel sure there must be another word for these) in photographs of the original 'Lorelei'.

The following photos include shots of the C/B trunk framework being spragged whilst the epoxy sets and some shorter sprags that are holding down laminates of Oak (4 layers) that will eventually become the crosspieces that hold the duckboards together. There is also a shot of the mast step housing which will prevent water ingress to an otherwise sealed buoyancy section forward of F7.

After having cut all the sheathing to size from rather dubious looking 3.6mm plywood (it began to split and delaminate in a couple of places) I discovered a much better quality board at 4mm, made from far eastern hardwood...well that is how it is described. Anyhow, it seems much more stable and it won't be much bother to use the old patterns to reproduce all the shapes again. Other than that, the photos will tell the story.

I have also managed to produce those limber holes that I forgot to put in earlier. The plastic piping is a bit small but it is better than nothing...anything bigger was going to compromise the strength of the ribs. Talking about ribs, you will see that those duckboard cross members are set immediately above the thin intermediate ribs which bring them up to the height of the heavier frames so that the duckboards will be supported at every rib station...just 7" apart.

Take the bits of plastic pipe out if you can and bin them. Seal the wood in the limbers with epoxy and be done with it. Result - more limber cross section, and no step up from the planks surface to stop the water draining back.

Sounds like a good idea, Nick...can I borrow your banana shaped rat tail file?
    Seriously now, I might give that a try. I will have to place some kind of drainage bung/self bailer on either side of the C/B trunk...any idea of what best to use would be welcome. I have noticed a round hole cut in the inner duckboard on the original boat...probably to access a drainage bung. I wonder if Tom could shed some light here?

Don- the interior of Lorelei is white and green floor boards. The hole was to allow a bilge pump access to the water under the floor boards.

Thanks for that information Tom. I see now that I was completely wrong about the overall interior colour. I made the assumption, by looking at that photo taken through the mast hole, that the original colour may have been some shade of light blue but it is obvious now that the blue in this area was added at some later period. I will stick with the light blue for now and see how it matches up with the Moss Green? duckboards and an outer hull shell in white but, I can always go for a white interior if things don't match up.