Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567 LastLast

Thread: Gil Smith catboat "Lorelei"

Firbeck, Notts/South Yorks border, England

Default Re: Gil Smith catboat "Lorelei"

It is surprising how much time can be spent on boatbuilding with very little visual evidence to show for it. Most of the work done recently has mostly been to do with minor alterations and gluing up assemblies here there and everywhere. I have a habit of leaving glue ups till the last minute so as not to have to resort to the chisel and mallet to put things right. Anyway, I have moved forward enough now to be able to see where I have been!

The first photo is a general shot to show that I have actually done something in the last few weeks. This includes chopping an opening in F23 to receive those little double doors. I was going to just retain that station as a watertight bulkhead by making dummy (none opening) doors, but I thought I might as well do the job properly, albeit with the use of 9mm plywood. I've yet to find some SS hinges that are small enough.

I decided to try and reproduce the correct colour (light blue?) of the interior and am using what used to be called Blake's Bilge & Locker Paint. It is now produced by a company called 'Hempel' in an almost identical tin with the same spec. This will contrast quite well with what appears to be a sage green colour of the duckboards (I feel sure there must be another word for these) in photographs of the original 'Lorelei'.

The following photos include shots of the C/B trunk framework being spragged whilst the epoxy sets and some shorter sprags that are holding down laminates of Oak (4 layers) that will eventually become the crosspieces that hold the duckboards together. There is also a shot of the mast step housing which will prevent water ingress to an otherwise sealed buoyancy section forward of F7.

After having cut all the sheathing to size from rather dubious looking 3.6mm plywood (it began to split and delaminate in a couple of places) I discovered a much better quality board at 4mm, made from far eastern hardwood...well that is how it is described. Anyhow, it seems much more stable and it won't be much bother to use the old patterns to reproduce all the shapes again. Other than that, the photos will tell the story.

I have also managed to produce those limber holes that I forgot to put in earlier. The plastic piping is a bit small but it is better than nothing...anything bigger was going to compromise the strength of the ribs. Talking about ribs, you will see that those duckboard cross members are set immediately above the thin intermediate ribs which bring them up to the height of the heavier frames so that the duckboards will be supported at every rib station...just 7" apart.
    108.jpg110.jpg
    Last edited by Don Scott; 04-26-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Last edited by Don Scott; 04-26-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Last edited by Don Scott; 04-26-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Last edited by Don Scott; 04-26-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Take the bits of plastic pipe out if you can and bin them. Seal the wood in the limbers with epoxy and be done with it. Result - more limber cross section, and no step up from the planks surface to stop the water draining back.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Sounds like a good idea, Nick...can I borrow your banana shaped rat tail file?
    Seriously now, I might give that a try. I will have to place some kind of drainage bung/self bailer on either side of the C/B trunk...any idea of what best to use would be welcome. I have noticed a round hole cut in the inner duckboard on the original boat...probably to access a drainage bung. I wonder if Tom could shed some light here?

Don- the interior of Lorelei is white and green floor boards. The hole was to allow a bilge pump access to the water under the floor boards.

Thanks for that information Tom. I see now that I was completely wrong about the overall interior colour. I made the assumption, by looking at that photo taken through the mast hole, that the original colour may have been some shade of light blue but it is obvious now that the blue in this area was added at some later period. I will stick with the light blue for now and see how it matches up with the Moss Green? duckboards and an outer hull shell in white but, I can always go for a white interior if things don't match up.
    Lorelei 1.jpg
    Last edited by Don Scott; 04-26-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Managed to make it into the middle pages of our local magazine (FLAG) which serves three villages of Firbeck, Letwell and Gildingwells, South Yorkshire.
    So, a few hundred more people on this side of the pond have become aware of the existence of Gil Smith, The Long Island Maritime Museum and a little catboat called 'Lorelei'.
    I am still waiting for better weather so that I can continue with the build. It shouldn't be long now to the finishing post.
    img003.jpg
    Last edited by Don Scott; 04-26-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Don, congratulations and I hope the weather turns fair so you can continue the build and hopefully sail her later in the year.

Cheers,
    Tom

Bumped to page one for benefit of John Huskey.
    Building will continue soon as weather is about to warm up.

Don and Tom, Do you have any idea as to the total displacement of the original Lorelei? A guess perhaps?

John I’m not sure of that figure, she’s a “BB class” Catboat so you can read up on that class. Lorelei is 25 foot, built light but with a substantial backbone, one of 10 Smith boats at LIMM.

Managed to get under way again now that the weather is getting better. A beautiful, warm day but a bit too sunny for the camera. I have now finished the interior paintwork, although I may yet give it a final coat of white...as per original. I will now proceed to epoxy the sheathing ply ready for turning the boat over to allow for glassing the bottom.
    125.jpg124.jpg
    Last edited by Don Scott; 04-26-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Last edited by Don Scott; 04-26-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Don,

how am I not already subscribed to this thread? What a great boat, and a great build. I can't wait to see pics from launching day--and beyond!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Well, it looks very much as though all but the last two of my photographs have been zapped on this thread. I have been using 'Postimage' since the first lot of photographs were similarly zapped by our old friend 'Photobucket' who decided, in their greed, to pull the plug which was quite devastating for a number of members...particularly Jim Ledger. I am hoping that this is just an internet glitch and things will set to rights because it seems that my stored collection of Lorelei build photographs are still stored in correct order on the Postimage website. Anyway, I really don't feel that I can come back from a second helping of this awful situation and the thread has little value or interest without accompanying photographs. I wonder if any other member is using Postimage and if they are having the same problem? I would be pleased to hear from them.

I will keep trying for a while but if things don't get any better then I will have to abandon this thread which is a pity really because the weather is brightening and I had just got under way after the cold winter break.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Scott View Post
    Well, it looks very much as though all but the last two of my photographs have been zapped on this thread. I have been using 'Postimage' since the first lot of photographs were similarly zapped by our old friend 'Photobucket' who decided, in their greed, to pull the plug which was quite devastating for a number of members...particularly Jim Ledger. I am hoping that this is just an internet glitch and things will set to rights because it seems that my stored collection of Lorelei build photographs are still stored in correct order on the Postimage website. Anyway, I really don't feel that I can come back from a second helping of this awful situation and the thread has little value or interest without accompanying photographs. I wonder if any other member is using Postimage and if they are having the same problem? I would be pleased to hear from them.

I will keep trying for a while but if things don't get any better then I will have to abandon this thread which is a pity really because the weather is brightening and I had just got under way after the cold winter break.
    Fortunately the PTB have made it possible to post directly from your 'puter. So if you have them on your hard drive you can rebuild.

I just use the new(ish) option to post images from my computer right to the Forum itself. It seems to work well, and is very convenient. But it's a heck of a lot of work to rebuild a long thread--down with Photobucket!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

How do I do that WI-Tom ? I have tried a simple 'copy' from PC and 'paste' to thread but that doesn't work.

Don,

1. Click the image icon (the tree in the square) on the toolbar above your posting as you are creating it.

2. A dialog box will open, allowing you to choose photos from a website/url, OR photos from your computer. So, to load direct from your computer, click the "From Computer" button.

3. Then click the "Choose Files" button. It'll open a file manager where you can browse through your computer files and choose a photo. You can choose multiple files, too, but I usually do them one at a time.

4. After you have clicked on/chosen the photo you want, the dialog box will open again, but will be showing the file name next to the "Choose Files" button. Now click the "Upload File(s)" button. It may take a minute, but eventually a small version of your photo(s) will appear in your post. This will become a large photo when you finish your post.

That's all there is to it--no need to resize photos or use third-party hosting sites. It works pretty well for me.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

20180405_161005.jpg
    Lorelei 23.jpg

Brilliant Tom! Now I don't have to rely on those nasty photo storage websites. These are just a couple of testers to try out the method and show comparison views of my build and the real 'Lorelei' although they are not quite taken from similar camera positions. You can not see beyond frame No.7 as I have placed a watertight bulkhead in that position. Original photo curtesy of another Tom.

Now I will steadily place a number of photographs throughout the thread in an attempt to replace those that were zapped.
    Thanks again Tom for the valuable lesson...I had never used that tool bar before today...hadn't needed it or even noticed it!
    An age thing, no doubt.
    Last edited by Don Scott; 04-24-2018 at 03:37 AM.

Could someone please verify that the two photos in the post above actually materialised. I can see them but, can you?
    I am now up to Page No 4 of this thread in regard to replacing all the photographs that disappeared from it.
    If no one else can see them then I am wasting my time...I am using the PC to forum direct, using the 'tree in square' icon as advised by WI Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Don Scott View Post
    Could someone please verify that the two photos in the post above actually materialised. I can see them but, can you?
    I am now up to Page No 4 of this thread in regard to replacing all the photographs that disappeared from it.
    If no one else can see them then I am wasting my time...I am using the PC to forum direct, using the 'tree in square' icon as advised by WI Tom
    Yes, they are showing.

Yep, I see 'em too.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Thanks Nick and WI Tom for that confirmation. I have now replaced all the photos as best I can with a few additions. Some may be out of sink with post text but I think that anyone interested will get the drift.
    With a bit of luck I should not have this problem again now that I am reliant on direct transfer from my PC to forum...famous last words!

It has been a while since I last posted and although I have done a fair bit of work it does not show up much on the photographs. I have to say that, at last, I have had to make some compromise with respect to the fact that this boat is a 2/3 version of the original 'Lorelei' that is now on display at the Long Island Maritime Museum. Reducing everything by 1/3 was all very well and not too difficult BUT, where do I find a 2/3 scale sailor?

Keeping the maths simple, a man of 6ft in height would have to be reduced to 4ft... very necessary in view of the fact that the width of the bench seat would have to be reduced by the same scale. Well, I am not going to find that 'scaled down' man any time soon. I want the pleasure of sailing this boat myself and so, I have had to compromise on the width of the bench...I have a full scale posterior that has to be accommodated so I have has to cheat in terms of seat dimensions. Yes, it shows in the photograph and compromises those double doors. For that reason I have decided to leave them as dummies and that bulkhead now forms the aft sealed compartment.

The interior work is now pretty much complete which has allowed me to glue in the deck sheathing as a base for the finishing wood strips. All that is required is the cockpit combing, deck strips, toe rail, rudder, shaft and tiller, C/B and capping strip... not forgetting the hardware and sailing rig of course. All of that will have to wait because the boat now needs to be turned over so that I can glass the bottom which will extend up over the gunwale and onto the deck by a couple of inches so as to reinforce that area before the wood strip (WRC) decking goes on.

20180524_102433.jpg20180524_102514.jpg

20180524_102602(0).jpg20180524_102614.jpg20180524_102657.jpg

Don- I usually forgo the seats and sit on the deck when sailing our Smith Cat. She is really coming along.

Regards, Tom

8F7E0B83-A081-4475-99FE-19EF79D502C1.jpg

Thanks for that info Tom.. and a few questions...

1. There appears to be a blue rope attached to the boom and running away off picture to the left towards the mast. What does that do?
    2. There are four ropes coming into the cockpit from the bow to cleats on the C/B housing. I know what two of them will be doing but what are the other two for?
    3. What length is 'Smith Cat' and what size ropes are being used for the sheet and others.
    4. Tom, any additional information whatsoever would be very welcome in respect of the mast/spars/rigging/ropes/hardware.

1 looks like the topping lift.

Don- this is a 20 foot cat that was built back in 2003-2004 and the rigging is all 3/8 inch line except for the forestay. #1 and 2 the “blue” line is white line the others and is a lazy jack. The four lines are gaff peak and throat and the two lazy jacks. Hopefully this will be visible in the attached photo. 02D7E38E-6AEA-44DF-A274-5EF5229561C3.jpg

Having sunk to page six of this Building/Repairs part of the forum I thought I had better get up to date. I have had a few health problems recently, the latest of which was a cataract operation to my right eye last week. The left eye needs done as well and my 'close up' sight won't be good till then.

Anyway, after having the boat turned over (again) I have got going today and given the hull a coating of epoxy. I was going to glass it using the dry method but, if you remember a few pages back I admitted to gluing the strip shell using only white glue sparingly. The idea was that when it came to the glass up, enough epoxy would seep into the wood and complete the job. However, I wanted to be sure that it had the best chance of penetration by laying a coat of epoxy first, then a light rub down followed by the six ounce glass. The photos below, yet again not very exciting show that I am ready for the rub down.

I had spent quite some time in sanding the hull ready for glassing but it wasn't until I gave it the coat of epoxy that I discovered a number of areas where I might have done the job better. The one saving grace is that I can hide it all behind a finishing coat of green (bottom) and white (sides) if I stick to the original 'Lorelei' colours. Talking about boat names I have come up with one or two but my wife has suggested 'Pussy Willow' which I think is a good name for a CAT boat. I still haven't had anyone come up with an explanation for where a 'cat' boat gets its name from. Someone must surely know.
    135.jpg136.jpg137.jpg138.jpg139.jpg