Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: Gil Smith catboat "Lorelei"

Default Re: Gil Smith catboat "Lorelei"

Don- the tillers were made from one piece of white oak. The "diamond" shaped feature was a unique feature of his tillers. The last one I made was from a scrap piece of 2 inch planking stock because it had to be about 7 inches in depth. Maybe a thick stair tread would a better choice?

I should think that locust might be a good choice for a rudder post. It is also good for a tiller if you can find it over there. One of our woods that would work is Osage Orange also called Bois d' Arc. One of the toughest woods I know of! Rot and bug proof, it is also heavy. I would not choose it for a tiller though.
    Then, a piece of your fine English Elm might suffice.
    Just some thoughts from an admirer of your work and choice of design. "Lorelei" is a secductive witch for sure!
    Jay

Firbeck, Notts/South Yorks border, England

Thanks for that advice Tom and the latest photographs I have just received...and Jay, for that extra information about wood alternatives. Dutch Elm caused the demise of many of our fine home grown species but I haven't seen much of it about in the timber yards. I suspect that most of it was burned to try and eradicate the disease. Rich, I'm so very pleased that your purpose on this planet has reached its zenith with that corking idea for an epoxy rudder tube which 'steered' me in the right direction. I am very pleased with the results anyway.

I am still glassing the interior and look forward to posting more photos but, it will be a while yet...other jobs keep getting in the way.

Well, I got across to Jackson Woodturners of Sheffield today and picked up a piece of American White Oak. It was cut from a plank end especially for me by a gentleman who was only too pleased to help.
    I brought it back home and just couldn't wait to have a go at that Gil Smith tiller 'terminal'. It is only roughly cut and marked out but here is a photo of it anyway.

After about an hour I ended up with this slightly oversize feature on the tiller end but I can't say that this was deliberate. I'm pleased it worked out that way though because it would have looked a bit sorry for itself at 2/3 scale. It was very satisfying work using only a Perma Grit rasp so it wasn't really a wood carving exercise. It was probably more like trying to develop the facets on a diamond and all the time using the eyeball to balance each one against the others.

You're doing great work Don. This is going to be a beautiful boat when it's done.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Scott View Post
    After about an hour I ended up with this slightly oversize feature on the tiller end but I can't say that this was deliberate. I'm pleased it worked out that way though because it would have looked a bit sorry for itself at 2/3 scale. It was very satisfying work using only a Perma Grit rasp so it wasn't really a wood carving exercise. It was probably more like trying to develop the facets on a diamond and all the time using the eyeball to balance each one against the others.

That looks like Gil himself made it Don.

Couldn't wish for a better compliment than that, Tom. I don't have anything worth a photo yet and still struggling away with the internal glassing. I don't quite have the 'nack' of glassing and not too happy with the results of my labours. The only saving grace is the fact that most of it will be hidden by the duck boards.

Don't know why it comes to mind but I was wondering if Gil Smith has a marked resting place. Not that I will ever visit of course but one of the reasons for interest in Lorelei is the fact that it comes from an age gone by and even though I am not a citizen of the USA I can still conjure up warm visions in my mind of the way boat building might have been in those days...even with only the sketchiest photo of his boatyard.