Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78

Thread: Gil Smith catboat "Lorelei"

Default Re: Gil Smith catboat "Lorelei"

Here is a better photo of the rigging. There is a forestay and four lines going up the mast. Two are for the peak and throat then two for lazy jacks. You can also see how the main sheet is rigged.

84AF5773-E845-4DC2-92DD-A665DE9F9394.jpg

Firbeck, Notts/South Yorks border, England

Thanks for the response and kind words folks.

Rich, you will see that Tom has posted here and kindly offered to send more information on the Gil Smith catboat rig. I will certainly have a look at the method you recommended for rounding the mast. The sports car is no longer the classic MGRV8 but a modern, limited edition, Mazda MX5 (Sport Graphite) which I am still allowed to drive with the MG Sports Club...so I get the best of both worlds.

Beaker, many thanks for your offer of seeking information at your club meetings at LIMM, West Sayville. If you go back to some of the posts you will see that Tom has responded to my call for help with regard to the mast/spars rigging. He works there and has supplied all the previous photos/dimensions. Having said that, any info you can glean must surely help. I see that you are living in Patchoque, the birthplace of 'Lorelei' and of course the site of Gil Smith's former boatyard...magic!

Tom, thanks for responding to my call for information on the rigging layout. I was particularly curious about how the boom attaches to the foot of the mast and the method of rigging ropes to the gaff spar. etc.

Jim, I hope you don't find it too patronising for me to say welcome to my thread, because I consider it a bit of an honour. Yes, that tumblehome was a challenge but I have to admit that it was achieved by the use of some artful bodging. I am very pleased that your thread was reopened and calm restored. As for the cataracts, I have seen two more eye surgeons since I last mentioned the problem and after more treatment I have been signed off from hospital to opticians. So I am back to wearing varifocals with fairly good results. I honestly believe that some physical-damage was caused during surgery to the left eye which thankfully healed itself over a period of about 20 weeks. The grittiness has gone at last and things have settled down. I can now see well enough for some very accurate bodging.

Don, here are a few photos of the boom for a plumb stem cat that was built back in 2004 (the one in photos of me sailing). Two different views. All the photos are of the spars hanging from the rafters so the orientation is a bit confusing so feel free to ask questions.
    BCFB4B5A-8CE5-4E59-831C-C572E0D1C02E.jpg

E97C826B-186B-4E68-A981-4FFEFD90B667.jpg
    Last edited by Tokamecotom; 12-03-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Here’s the base of the mast. You’ll note that the spars on this one are fairly stout.
    F39FB614-85FA-4B90-B139-AA696290B58D.jpg

Top of the mast- note the block for the forestay.

4FFEABCD-3D19-48A1-BE15-999E5718837B.jpg

Firbeck, Notts/South Yorks border, England

Hello Tom,

Many thanks for the series of photos showing layout and structure of the mast, spars and rigging for a c.1915 Gil Smith Catboat. I was surprised to see a yoke on the boom spar. The c.1880s 'Melonseed' replica (Mallard) that I built in 2007/2009 had the same setup but I was convinced that the mast to boom on the much later 'Lorelei' would have used a gooseneck setup.

I have managed to glue up the Douglas Fir 'birdsmouth' mast and now in the process of rounding it in my very cold machine shed. Having said that, I only have two machines in there now. One is a Startrite E351 bandsaw which I used to do all the heavy cutting on both boats. The other is a recently acquired Shopsmith Mk5 plus many accessories which I have hardly used. I paid only 300 for it, sold to me by a lady whose husband ran off with her best friend so.....she sold off the contents of his very considerable tool shed. I got there first and stepped in to help her get even! I am looking forward to putting it to some good use but no more boats. They are very time consuming and addictive. I need to get back to my RC model aircraft building and flying.

Well, Tom, it's getting close to Christmas again so I will wish you and yours all the best wishes and a happy new year. I will add to the thread when I have anything useful to say or when I start work again next year and will certainly keep you informed when it hits the water at Rother Valley Country Park in South Yorkshire.

Kind Regards,

Don
    Last edited by Don Scott; 12-06-2018 at 07:28 PM.

That’s an interesting story about the Shopsmith, I’ve heard they are great machines for people with limited space and time to convert it to the various configurations. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you’ll get an early start in the spring. I’m looking forward to photos of you sailing your Lorelei.

A very merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Boom jaws were common in small boats; You had to have access to a foundry/ machine shop to fabricate them. Yacht builders like HMC and Lawley could and did do them.The later post WWI or so Cape Cod cats produced in quantities went for them. Sometime when I'm down at Mystic I'll have a look at the cat spars in the Mystic collection to see which have jaws, which have goosenecks. Many of the small boat jaws for both boom and gaff are long and rather elegant with long toes riveted to the spars and the spars tapered a bit. Some are actually inlet so there is a smooth transition from spar to jaw.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."