Thread: The scene of the grime...

Default The scene of the grime...

This shows the ex engine, now scrap, and the manner in which, being Ancient British Machinery (a BMC 1.5 diesel) it marked its territory...

Any good ideas for cleaning the bilges? Was thinking industrial steam cleaner...

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Default Re: The scene of the grime...

I don't know what's available locally, but here we have "Simple Green".

With a bucket of warm water and a stiff-bristle brush it really is remarkably effective.

We had an old kerosene-fired kettle style steam cleaner. A lot less damage was done after it was retired.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

2nd on the Simple Green. Had an oil spill at work that needed cleanup. We used some absorbent clay which got up most of the mess and then some Simple Green, a brush, and a hose sorted the rest.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

^ Sounds like Swarfega, that is dayglow green
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Bob Millet hasn't been around here for quite a while, but I think he could probably give you some pointers.

Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

After a quick read of the Swarfega Jizer MSDS, no that's nothing like simple green.

http://simplegreen.com/downloads/SDS...oseCleaner.pdf
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

When my brother was in high school, a program to introduce students to the business world decided to produce a household cleaner. They bought a barrel of an industrial cleaner and a bunch of bottles, diluted the cleaner, bottled it and went out to sell their product. The first man to use it washed his car with it and it took off the paint. An expensive learning project.
    I used Simple Green this spring to clean Sea Harmony with no such bad effects. Diluted, sprayed on, brushed and rinsed, worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    ^ Sounds like Swarfega, that is dayglow green
    Well, this is the stuff - appears available in the UK. http://www.simplegreen.co.uk/
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by SchoonerRat View Post
    Bob Millet hasn't been around here for quite a while, but I think he could probably give you some pointers.

That's just wrong.

I've tried Jizer, I've tried Bilgex (horribly expensive!) and I am underwhelmed by them.

The problem is that I do like my boats to have white painted bilges - I have come to associate simplicity and cleanliness with seamanlike qualities - and over almost four decades the oily bilge water got to everywhere that bilge water is likely to get to aboard a boat that was routinely singlehanded around Europe, in all weathers...

A subsidiary problem is that whilst most boats made of frozen snot have a shallow bilge, this one has a bilge well that extends down the fin - I can't reach the bottom, and had to have recourse to a magnet when I dropped a favourite spanner down there...

I'll buy some Simple Green and give it a shot - but I am also going to hire an industrial steam cleaner... it worked well on Mirelle's teak, oak and CRE...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Make very sure there are no gaps that would let steam reach parts you wouldn't want wet and don't be surprised if you remove more than you bargained for.I once watched a recently signwritten name mostly obliterated on a transom in an instant.I would guess that the goo is baked on and won't be removed in a hurry,for what it costs I would try oven cleaner on a small area to see what happens.Might need to be removed with warm soapy water afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Make very sure there are no gaps that would let steam reach parts you wouldn't want wet and don't be surprised if you remove more than you bargained for.I once watched a recently signwritten name mostly obliterated on a transom in an instant.I would guess that the goo is baked on and won't be removed in a hurry,for what it costs I would try oven cleaner on a small area to see what happens.Might need to be removed with warm soapy water afterwards.
    The oven cleaner that I am familiar with is basically sodium hydroxide ("caustic soda"). That strikes me as a bit "powerful"!

There are very few parts that I would not want wet. But I take your point!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Automotive degreaser might be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    The oven cleaner that I am familiar with is basically sodium hydroxide ("caustic soda"). That strikes me as a bit "powerful"!

There are very few parts that I would not want wet. But I take your point!
    Caustic soda certainly works but I'd want to run a few tested preferably on a dead hull somewhere.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Lye/caustic soda/sodium hydroxide oven cleaner can be diluted with water ( Fantastik is diluted lye ) and it works really well as a degreaser because it mixes with grease and turns it into soap.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

The most amazing de-greasing and de-gumming product I have ever used is made by CMT. It is their Pitch and Gum remover. I use it for freeing up frozen model locomotive gears. This jungle juice comes in concentrated form so, for a boat, I just pour a bottle in a dirty bilge and let it sit for a half hour to allow it to do its job, which is mind blowing! It is non toxic and non polluting allowing a bilge to be pumped where permitted. Once the main sludge is pumped out a second application from their handy spray bottle can dissolve any remaing sludge or oil. The product works so well that this second cleaning is not often needed. It is kind of like a cold water steam cleaning of the bilge! In fact the stuff works so well that you can write your name on a white T shirt with a ball point pen, spray CMT over it, work the area with your fingers and all traces of the ink will dissolve and disappear! Did I mention that it is NON TOXIC?
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-20-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Not sure about the UK but there is a dish soap called Dawn here that is a great degreaser and all around grunge cleaner.
    A half bottle of Dawn in five gallons of HOT water will clean the bilge and the engine and its not corrosive or caustic.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Not sure about the UK but there is a dish soap called Dawn here that is a great degreaser and all around grunge cleaner.
    A half bottle of Dawn in five gallons of HOT water will clean the bilge and the engine and its not corrosive or caustic.
    Yes. It's what they use to degrease birds caught in oil spills. In fact, Dawn donated several tractor trailer loads to the Horizon mess (the Gulf oil spill a few years back) because all the local stores had their shelves emptied. An interview I saw said that Dawn worked far better than any other soap.

That being said, I've had good luck with Simple Green too.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green