Thread: The Putin interviews

Default The Putin interviews

with Oliver Stone. (Have these been discussed here already?)

Anyone else here been watching them?? What do you think?

I’ve only seen the first two episodes (last night), but have found them fascinating and incredibly thought provoking.

I can’t say that I have been particularly impressed by Stone and I really wonder how he managed to secure the interviews, but Putin has been fascinating, he raises so many things that I’d never considered before on a range of different issues and levels.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Default Re: The Putin interviews

I don’t believe anything that politicians say, particularly in the Western world - i.e. OZ, USA, UK etc, but we have been bought up with an innate mistrust of anything Russian and, whilst I still do not believe anything that ANY politician says, Putin makes me question even more just who is lying more.

(not his exact words):

- Where different religions are newly arrived to countries like the US, France and the UK, they have always been in Russia so, for at least the last 1000 years Muslims, Christians, Jews etc have lived alongside each other - Christians celebrate Muslim holidays and Muslims celebrate Christian holidays. First and foremost Russia is their mother country and they do not have the religious based turmoil that we are seeing in the Western world now;

- Russia sending missiles to Cuba was in response to the US placing missiles in Turkey - the US instigated that crisis

- All Russians have freedom of sexual preference once they reach the age of 18 - however it is illegal to promote homosexuality to a minor
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ighlight=Stone

stone is putins well paid patsy. Anyone who watches this should with the Understanding the Russians paid for it and stone's son works for RT. Anyone who believes otherwise is quite ignorant.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

Have not seen any of them, but then that's not surprising, apart from a couple of hours on monday night I haven't watched anything but a news bulletin this week.

Re politicians,

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I don’t believe anything that politicians say, particularly in the Western world - i.e. OZ, USA, UK etc, but we have been bought up with an innate mistrust of anything Russian and, whilst I still do not believe anything that ANY politician says, ]Putin makes me question even more just who is lying more.

(not his exact words):

- Where different religions are newly arrived to countries like the US, France and the UK, they have always been in Russia so, for at least the last 1000 years Muslims, Christians, Jews etc have lived alongside each other - Christians celebrate Muslim holidays and Muslims celebrate Christian holidays. First and foremost Russia is their mother country and they do not have the religious based turmoil that we are seeing in the Western world now;

- Russia sending missiles to Cuba was in response to the US placing missiles in Turkey - the US instigated that crisis

- All Russians have freedom of sexual preference once they reach the age of 18 - however it is illegal to promote homosexuality to a minor
    Saruman couldn't have drawn you in any better.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Saruman couldn't have drawn you in any better.
    Don’t assume that my interest being piqued by these comments means that I’m drawn into anything Lew. As I said, I don’t believe anything that any politician says, but I am also aware that our knowledge of events and history is based entirely on what we have read, heard, been fed in a Western society and I am particularly aware of the unavoidable bias of that “historicity”.

These interviews (for me) simply raise a great opportunity to consider another version of historicity and to realise that somewhere in the middle may lie the actual history.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Don’t assume that my interest being piqued by these comments means that I’m drawn into anything Lew. As I said, I don’t believe anything that any politician says, but I am also aware that our knowledge of events and history is based entirely on what we have read, heard, been fed in a Western society and I am particularly aware of the unavoidable bias of that “historicity”.

These interviews (for me) simply raise a great opportunity to consider another version of historicity and to realise that somewhere in the middle may lie the actual history.
    Fair enough, Larks. And the point about the Cuban missile crisis, for instance, at least has validity as a debatable topic.

But the other points you paraphrase don't. It's nothing to do with our "bias". Religious and sexual Peace, Love, and Understanding in Russia? C'mon man.

I know a passel of first and second gen Russian and Ukrainian immigrants. Couple of Latvians, too. They would disabuse you of such notions, I feel confident, many of them being asylum seekers.

You can not expect to get anything much positive about Putin on an American based forum......hes the bogeyman y,know. There are a few intelligent exceptions....you know who you are.

Did the Chechen Muslims not get the memo that there was to be no religious turmoil?

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Did the Chechen Muslims not get the memo that there was to be no religious turmoil?

Pete
    Freedom to practice religion, not to attempt to form a breakaway republic, bit of a difference.