Thread: Trump's way out?

Default Trump's way out?

Nixon resigned and got pardoned, very broadly.

Can Trump do so? My impression is Trump is beginning to realize he is not in total control. It is unlikely anything he does, short of resigning and being pardoned, will prevent his finances from coming to the surface.

Pence, it's also my impression, wants to be president.

If he gets that job via Trump resigning, can he keep that job if he pardons Trump.

We're seeing a lot of Watergate specials, references, here. The pardon of Nixon, as I recall, was not very popular.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Default Re: Trump's way out?

It would be a bitter pill for Trump to swallow, considering his narcissism... but I think it's far more likely that he would resign, than be impeached or removed from office via the 25th amendment.

It would only happen, however, if there was much more of a 'smoking gun' against him, than anything revealed so far... and there may NOT be any such smoking gun. Sad to day, but we're most likely to have to suffer his incompetence and destructive behaviors until 2020.

If he WERE to resign, I think a pardon, by Pence, would be a sure thing. Having established the precedent in the Nixon era, Pence would have little other choice.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

I would rather see Pence resign first, replaced by Jeb, then see the President resign.....
    That would also more closely follow the events of the Nixon resignation.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

^ Perhaps so, but Agnew was forced out due to malfeasance. The only thing that kept Nixon's presidency alive was the general impression that Agnew was worse. Once he was gone, the way was clear for the weight to fall on Nixon.

Here, Pence has committed no crime that we know of, and is more popular ( at least among Republicans ) than our current president. If Pence ascended to the White House would he pardon our current president to declare ' our national nightmare is over "? I think so. Would he be screwed the next election as Ford was? Debatable.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Would he be screwed the next election as Ford was? Debatable.
    Since Pence would be likely to continue the regressive Republican agenda, then yeah, I think he'd be screwed. Trump demonstrates that HE is incompetent at governance, as well as promoting policies that have not gone over well with the bulk of the American public. Pence MIGHT be competent at governance, but will follow the same ideological course... so I think that if the Democrats manage to pitch an appealing candidate (a young fresh face), 2020 could see a switch back to the blue side.

Who is that fresh young face? Right now, I kind of like Kamila Harris... with Sally Yates as VP.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Since Pence would be likely to continue the regressive Republican agenda, then yeah, I think he'd be screwed. Trump demonstrates that HE is incompetent at governance, as well as promoting policies that have not gone over well with the bulk of the American public. Pence MIGHT be competent at governance, but will follow the same ideological course... so I think that if the Democrats manage to pitch an appealing candidate (a young fresh face), 2020 could see a switch back to the blue side.

Who is that fresh young face? Right now, I kind of like Kamila Harris... with Sally Yates as VP.
    Some part of me doubts the pendulum is going to swing back fast enough we elect a black lady as president in 2020.

Plus, no! I just got a new senator, and I'd like to keep her. Yes. I am selfish.

Peace,
    Robert

I think it's far more important for Dems to work on the mid-term elections than to try to remove Trump. Turn him into a powerless toothless figurehead rather than create a powerful Pence.

I don't know about the 'smoking gun'. Watergate unraveled when they followed the money. Money is being followed now.

Trump has something to hide, it appears.

The smoking gun may be in his taxes. I suspect he'll do whatever he can to keep them from being seen.

Pence may go down before Trump. He was head of transition team and approved of Flynn's appointment in spite of knowing his situation with Russians.

The Dem's should be concentrating on cleaning up their own act, not Trump or Pence.
    I don't think that a 79 year old candidate is a very good idea for 2020, and if that's as good as they can do then they are in a very sad place.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    The Dem's should be concentrating on cleaning up their own act, not Trump or Pence.
    I don't think that a 79 year old candidate is a very good idea for 2020, and if that's as good as they can do then they are in a very sad place.
    Yes, they are in a sad place indeed...... They really need to concentrate on down ticket support and get a substantial base at not only the grass roots level, but within the House and Senate instead of just lobbing candidates at Pennsylvania ave. And hoping to hit the White House...... With no hope of any real change

If Democrats had any real presence in Washington, Trump would not be able to dismantled the last 8yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I think they can, and should, do both. If I were running the party, the Dems would have had a healthcare bill, and immigration reform bill, etc. already. Wouldn't make the floor, but they would make the media.

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    Yes, they are in a sad place indeed...... They really need to concentrate on down ticket support and get a substantial base at not only the grass roots level, but within the House and Senate instead of just lobbing candidates at Pennsylvania ave. And hoping to hit the White House...... With no hope of any real change

If Democrats had any real presence in Washington, Trump would not be able to dismantled the last 8yrs.
    And the GOP, with its majorities, should have gotten a lot done.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    And the GOP, with its majorities, should have gotten a lot done.
    It is......... Just not what I want to see.....

It is busy about the business of demolition at the moment, and doing a fine job about it.