Thread: Laying teak deck

Default Laying teak deck

Can anyone recommend a book or any internet info about laying teak decks on small boats?
    All that I find on searches aren't detail enough and the info are brief.

Thank you

Default Re: Laying teak deck

Two books that will help are: "Boat Bullding" by Howard Chapell and "Details of Classic Boat Constructio" by Larry Pardey
    Either of these books will give you what you need. Note that if you are using traditional construction of the deck, the caulk seams will need to be V shaped and caulked with both cotton that is payed over with seam compound. Jefferie's Marine glue is the preferred seam compound for doing this.
    If you are paying the seams with a synthetic rubber compound the seams work better if they are made up with a square rabbet seam. that extends down 2/3ds of the depth of planking.
    Jay

Thanks, but does those 2 books deal with caulking with traditional method rather than the newer epoxy adhesive, rubber compound?
    There is very little info on the topic, possibly have to ask product supplier like teak decking for info.

If you are using ply and veneers (1/4"-3/8") then read Gougeon-Brothers-Boat-Construction http://www.westsystem.com/wp-content...k-061205-1.pdf

Just browse through that, possibly for a day sailor, veneer is the way to go, 3-5mm is thinner than I expect but definitely easier to work with.
    I've also just read the repair teak decking topic on the repair forum, while someone mention fiberglassing the ply, this is not mention in the Gougeon book, would 2 layers of epoxy alone is sufficient?
    Any drawback of ply and veneer as compared to the traditional thicker teak deckings?

Those are big questions! And asking them says you are taking on a big project without much knowledge. I'd say in KL avoid teak of any sort for your deck. It gets too hot to walk or sit on. Just glass over your ply and paint with a light colour.

Yeah, I agree that it's hot on feet, but for a classic design it will look that much "righter" with a teak deck, and small enough to worth doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
    Thanks, but does those 2 books deal with caulking with traditional method rather than the newer epoxy adhesive, rubber compound?
    There is very little info on the topic, possibly have to ask product supplier like teak decking for info.
    Both books deal with traditional methods of deck laying and caulking. Having been in the business long enough to see how the newer systems hold up, in the long run, I personally prefer the traditional form of deck laying. I own two boats that were planked with the two different methods. One was done in the early sixties using a traditional one and a quarter inch teak deck that is caulked with cotton and paid with marine glue. The other was done at about in the early seventies with a thin teak overlay on plywood. That boat, the one with the thin overlay, is now in need of an entire new deck while the other is still good for, at least another fifteen or twenty years.
    Jay

40 years of lifespan is very good even though it wasn't as repairable, on a large boat it would be difficult to replace the entire deck, but would the thin overlay takes much less maintenance compared to the traditional ones?

Maintenance is the same for both. A light cross grain scrub with Joy dish detergent followed with a sea water slush down and swabbing is usually all that is needed. I occasionally will add a bit of "CITRIC ACID POWDER" by sprinkling it on the wet deck followed by a thorough sea water rinse. This will, eventually, turn the teak snow white. This will reflect, rather than absorb the heat of the sun's radiation, keeping the decks cool to bare feet and other parts of the anatomy.
    Jay

Note: CITRIC ACID is much better than using oxalic acid as it is milder and will not tend to rail the wood grain or attack fastenings, paint, varnish and fittings with the the ferocity of oxcalic. Citric Acid was once sold in most boat chandeliers until oxalic came in to vogue and its equally damaging bleach, Teak Bright! Two part bleach is also a no no! Chemical supply houses sell citric acid powder. Do your boat a favor and buy a pound or two.

Thank you for your tip, I do read somewhere sea water is better for cleaning to inhibit bacteria growth, I guess the same goes for deck.

The salt helps keep decks tight because it is hydroscopic. The planks tend to retain moisure longer and shrink less.
    Jay

Just curious, what's the weather like in KL? What works in Port Townnsend might not work quite so well in KL.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I just tore off a veneer of teak over ply on the cabin of my 24'er.
    Wish it had never been put on. Heavy, hot, leaky and damaged ply underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Just curious, what's the weather like in KL? What works in Port Townnsend might not work quite so well in KL.
    Hot, average 85 degree F, but on high noon can reach 90 to 95 degrees.

Even a lot of pro shops will use a ply sub deck with thin teak overlay, just on a cost case basis. I have never laid a traditional deck, always been overlays on a ply/steel or aluminium sub deck. Its a lot of weight for a small boat, and has to be a certain thickness if traditional to take caulking compounds. These days i would not bother on a boat of my own, a sheathed ply deck painted a nice shade of colour, with some hardwood trims can be just as attractive.

Its a small deck, I'll see how it'll progress further.
    There are cork decks as well as faux teak, these seemed to be cooler and lighter but just didn't look right though.