Thread: Simmons Sea Skiff 20 Design Plan Study

Default Simmons Sea Skiff 20 Design Plan Study

Hello Forum Members. New guy here who recently picked up the design plans for the SSS20 and have a question about the angles on the Floors and how others have made the cuts. My conundrum is this, if there is a 6 degree aft angle that is applied to the end of stringer 11, how is that 6 degrees achieved? The angle on the stinger end is 62 degrees, but you can't set your table saw blade to 6 degrees and cut along that 62 degree cut line as this would create an angle on the top of the stringer that is greater than 6 degrees. This goes back to my days of grinding compound angles on lathe tooling.To maintain a 6 degree angle at the top of the stringer, the blade would have to be set at something less than 6 degrees. I hope that makes sense.

Just looking for input on how others achieved a 6 degree angle oriented to the top of the stringer as opposed to the face of the stringer?

Default Re: Simmons Sea Skiff 20 Design Plan Study

First, welcome to WBF. Pictures are paramount!
    There are many here who have built SSS. They will be along.
    To me, your question seems to conflate 'floors' with 'stringers'.
    They are two different members.

Sorry about the terminology switch mid-post...lol. I am referring to the floors, the floorboards/decking mounts directly to the floors, so no stringers.

No worries.
    Try looking at this, might help...
    http://www.timelessboatworks.com/con...immonsseaskiff

I'm sure there's a way to do this by machine, but I think I'd have to see a picture to figure out how. But in general, it's often faster to scribe some lines and cut these funny angles with a hand plane. If you haven't built a boat before, freehanding with a plane can seem a bit daunting, but you'll get the hang of it quickly. It's hard to mess up to badly with a hand plane.

A screenshot of the plans of the station in question would help, but, generally, I believe that the 6 degrees is measured perpendicular to the 62 degrees, so yes, just set the blade to 6 degrees and the miter gauge to cut the 62 and you will be good. I would leave things just a bit plump and make a final adjustmemt with a hand plane and a batten tacked along the ends of the floors. Fairness will always supercede rigid adherence to a given dimension
    Last edited by SMARTINSEN; 06-20-2017 at 11:14 PM.
    Steve Martinsen

When I was doing the floors (which along with the stem is all I have done so far), I drew all of the lines for the AFT face (which is what the plans show) and then used a hand held circular saw to make the cuts. I just set the bevel on the saw for each cut and followed the lines. I figured this was easier than using my table saw.

Don C.

hey, chilt, good to see you're progressing......any pics? or email with them? I discovered what you discovered.....most cuts on the boat are best done away from the table saw. It's easier that way. I found the table saw very daunting, and switched most all cuts to the bandsaw....floors, frames. The "wedge" in front of the motorwelll was all done on the bandsaw....very easy/safe. The angle cuts on my motorwell, however, I did on the tablesaw and I held my breath all the while....had ad to be close to blade to hold the large board steady.....did not relish that part. If I was doing that part over again, I'd choose jig saw, hand plane, rasp....something very safe. Hand held jigsaw works very well, and is easy to use - however, the 'steady hand' might not be there, but using a movable long board as a fence can help keep cut pretty straight. Keep posting! Pictures!