Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferry hits Hyannis Port breakwater

Default Ferry hits Hyannis Port breakwater

I don't know more than is on the Cape Cod Times website. Too foggy to see if they got her off yet.

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news11/2...east-9-injured

Default Re: Ferry hits Hyannis Port breakwater

Here's a pic from a tour boat taken about 0730 this morning.

^ Agreed.

Hope everybody's ok.

Whoopsie shouldn't have had those last couple of drinks.

In this day and age of GPS accurate to just a few meters, it seems inconceivable that this could happen. I'll be interested to learn the results of the inevitable investigation.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

that looks bad. sounds like the operator either had a personal medical situation or was in serious error.

I do drive the WETA boats on a rare occasion here in San Francisco which are quite similar. I am sure the AIS and radar were on. Driving a ferry is serious business. full concentration especially in port landings is paramont.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

I propose that it would take a bit of headway to make it that far up on the breakwater. I trust that nobody was seriously hurt - the link to the news article is too cluttered with pop-up ads for me to read. Does not bode well for the ferry company at the beginning of the tourist season...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I once took a high speed ferry from Pt. Judith to Block Island, and was pretty shocked at the speed which the skipper used, inside the harbor of refuge, once he left the channel. I was standing right behind the bridge, looking in through a window at the skipper and first mate at the controls, and it struck me that they seemed entirely too casual in their manner, as the revved the engines and blasted out of the channel.... and this was still well within the circular breakwater there. They left a substantial wake inside the confines of the harbor of refuge, and it's a place where there can be significant wind and waves, despite the rip-rap... there were probably boats at anchor which felt it strongly.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Something weird.

A storm last winter took out the light at the end of the breakwater. It has been replaced and should have been working last night. There used to be a long run into the center of Hyannis Harbor about half way from the old steam ship wharf at the end of Old Colony Road (rocks on north shore of harbor) and the end of the breakwater. The light was then flashing green. When they straightened the channel maybe 15 years ago that light on the jetty was changed to flashing white.

Now coming from Nantucket the ferry runs fast pretty much NxE past the MoA "HH" and turns to NExE when aligned with the first leg of the channel.

At the speed they go there, it would take only seconds to overshoot the turning point. If the pilot miss identified the jetty light, it's easy to be looking over buoys '5' and '6' (hidden by the jetty) and line up further down on the next lit buoys, '9' and '10'.

I'm surprised they wound up as high on the breakwater as they did as I think they hit a little before half tide and ebbing. At least riding up as she did no doubt softened the deceleration and saved passengers and crew from more and more serious injury.

I have know several boats that got confused by shore lights here. The most common error is that there's a street signal light well inshore in Yarmouth that one might mistake for a green or red (and just forget the yellow times). Those boats usually hit Kalmus beach just at the base of that jetty.

None of which excuses a licensed operator who has done this hundreds of times.

Do commercial ships such as this have data and voice recorders?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Most do. I'd be surprised if these did not.

They have moved the ferry off and a tug is handling oil containment and cleanup. And at this tide I could see clearly that Iyanough did not ride at all up and over, but rather punched two holes (catamaran) in the breakwater.

Late for dinner? Taking a short cut?

We will hopefully know what happened.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Was there a container ship doing "U" turns nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Something weird.

A storm last winter took out the light at the end of the breakwater. It has been replaced and should have been working last night. There used to be a long run into the center of Hyannis Harbor about half way from the old steam ship wharf at the end of Old Colony Road (rocks on north shore of harbor) and the end of the breakwater. The light was then flashing green. When they straightened the channel maybe 15 years ago that light on the jetty was changed to flashing white.

Now coming from Nantucket the ferry runs fast pretty much NxE past the MoA "HH" and turns to NExE when aligned with the first leg of the channel.

At the speed they go there, it would take only seconds to overshoot the turning point. If the pilot miss identified the jetty light, it's easy to be looking over buoys '5' and '6' (hidden by the jetty) and line up further down on the next lit buoys, '9' and '10'.

I'm surprised they wound up as high on the breakwater as they did as I think they hit a little before half tide and ebbing. At least riding up as she did no doubt softened the deceleration and saved passengers and crew from more and more serious injury.

I have know several boats that got confused by shore lights here. The most common error is that there's a street signal light well inshore in Yarmouth that one might mistake for a green or red (and just forget the yellow times). Those boats usually hit Kalmus beach just at the base of that jetty.

None of which excuses a licensed operator who has done this hundreds of times.
    Once long ago, I mistook a red nav light of another aircraft and a green traffic light on the ground as an aircraft headed right at me. It was very convincing for a few seconds.

Explaining the the wild ride to my passengers wasn't easy.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Really does look like someone really tuned out.

Unemployment beckons.

After being pulled off she made it under her own power first to her slip in Hyannis and then, after a check and again under her own power, to Fairhaven where they think it will take a couple of weeks to fix her back up. Considering that she hit the breakwater at 32 knots, pretty impressive construction.

That'll buff out just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Might need a little duct tape.

Impressive concentration of strength in the bows of many boats. I remember when the old Martha's Vineyard, then in service in the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson line, made a hot landing, could not get into reverse quite right, and put the bow through a concrete and steel shore bulkhead and five feet into the brick wall of Newcomb Brothers Garage. Not much more than paint damage.

Here's a pic from a tour boat taken about 0730 this morning.

My first thought was, why is the breakwater camouflaged?

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I hit a hemlock log broadside, while it floated just under the surface. I was sailing my Laser at about 6- 7 kts. It was like a train wreck, I nearly rolled off the boat, it stopped so fast. I can't imagine what it must have been like to ram that breakwater at 30+! I hope everyone was sitting down. Maybe they need seat belts?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough.
    Flex Tape - don't you watch the commercials where he saws the row boat in half and tapes it back together? Yah Hoo !!!

Impressive concentration of strength in the bows of many boats. I remember when the old Martha's Vineyard, then in service in the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson line, made a hot landing, could not get into reverse quite right, and put the bow through a concrete and steel shore bulkhead and five feet into the brick wall of Newcomb Brothers Garage. Not much more than paint damage.
    I can remember taking that boat on the beginning of our honeymoon back in 1980. I wonder what become of her. It was a nice looking little ship.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

[IMc - Here's an interesting explanation. It seems to me that the radar must have been at a strange range to see the breakwater light and a couple of boats and not see on the screen the actual channel buoys. But at that speed, there are but a few seconds to get it right. We'll see if this is the final explanation.]

Steamship GM: Iyanough captain mistook pole and sailboats for buoys
    Details surrounding Iyanough crash still unavailable

Jun 25 at 11:15 AM

By Sean F. Driscoll

NANTUCKET - The captain of the Steamship Authority ferry Iyanough mistook a metal pole and two moored sailboats as buoys leading into Hyannis Harbor and did not realize his mistake until moments before the vessel crashed into the Hyannisport breakwater on June 16, the head of the boat line said today.

The preliminary investigation into the incident showed the pole at the end of the breakwater and the two sailboats were in the exact pattern of buoys 4, 5 and 6 that mark the entrance into Hyannis Harbor, Wayne Lamson, general manager of the Woods Hole, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket Steamship Authority, said at the boat line’s monthly meeting. The 8-foot waves that evening shielded the breakwater from both the vessel’s radar and the crew’s sight until it was too late to avoid the structure, he said.

The pole is about 800 yards north of buoy 4 and north of the channel entrance to the harbor, Lamson said.

“The captain did not detect anything unusual about the approach into Hyannis Harbor until he began adjusting course” to make the starboard turn to enter the 240-foot wide entrance to the channel, Lamson said.

Prior to the allision - an incident in which a ship strikes another stationary ship or object - the captain asked the pilot to use the vessel’s spotlight to locate buoy 4 due to the inclement weather conditions, Lamson said. The pilot was unable to find the buoy, leading the pilot to rely on the radar image for navigation.

​All of the vessel’s navigational and mechanical systems were functioning at the time of the crash, and both the pilot and captain tested negative for drugs and alcohol, Lamson said. Lamson did not identify the crew members during the meeting, but said they remain on administrative leave during the investigation into the incident by the boat line and the Coast Guard.

Lamson stopped short of saying the missed buoy was the cause of the incident, however.

“I do not feel it would be appropriate to ​speculate about the cause of the incident,” he said. “Suffice it to say we are looking at all potentially contributing factors, including actions and the operational aspects of the captain and pilot.”

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/201...oats-for-buoys

[IMc - Here's an interesting explanation. It seems to me that the radar must have been at a strange range to see the breakwater light and a couple of boats and not see on the screen the actual channel buoys. But at that speed, there are but a few seconds to get it right. We'll see if this is the final explanation.]
    Another radar assisted collision.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Eight foot waves? Is that confirmed?

If conditions were compromising visibility to that extent, if they were not sure where they were to need to use a spotlight to try to identify marks, why did they not slow down? What of GPS?

From the first story: "As of 10 p.m. seas in the area were at 2 feet with south winds at 12 mph predicted and gusts up to 24 mph, according to the National Weather Service."

Even with a sustained Strong Breeze (Force 6, 22-27 knots), it takes a long while to build waves of that height in Nantucket Sound. I spent years moored just on the inside of where the ferry struck and know the conditions. I do not see how eight footers would have been possible that night. If there were such, given the tide everyone who did any walking would have been washed off the jetty and the ferry would have been flooded over the stern. The video and pix we see taken that night show much calmer conditions and give the lie to at least the weather part of the Authority's tale.

At night and especially in fog, I note many boaters " hug" bouy and other navaids. In RADAR, it can be hard to distinguish the boats from the bouy or mark. So I buy the plausibility of the scenario. And, if by chance, the pattern of those boats matched the geometry of the channel markers, it gives some insight as to how the master might have proceeded.

Slowing down, using a light to see, using the radio to hail boats in the area are all things I have done in this situation. They did just one.

Someone asked about GPS. It's very helpful if you can overlay your chart plotter onto your RADAR screen in such a scenario. Doing so makes the target that is the navaid jump right out from the boats hovering around it waiting for the fog to lift.

They had a pilot aboard? Is this common for such a short run ferry operating in the same state waters?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    At night and especially in fog, I note many boaters " hug" bouy and other navaids. In RADAR, it can be hard to distinguish the boats from the bouy or mark. So I buy the plausibility of the scenario. And, if by chance, the pattern of those boats matched the geometry of the channel markers, it gives some insight as to how the master might have proceeded.

Slowing down, using a light to see, using the radio to hail boats in the area are all things I have done in this situation. They did just one.

Someone asked about GPS. It's very helpful if you can overlay your chart plotter onto your RADAR screen in such a scenario. Doing so makes the target that is the navaid jump right out from the boats hovering around it waiting for the fog to lift.

They had a pilot aboard? Is this common for such a short run ferry operating in the same state waters?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Does your GPS not display your position and heading in relation to the local harbour walls? The one I used when crewing on a visit to Brest in '96 did. That tells you straight away whether you are standing into trouble, never mind where the buoys are.

From the first story: "As of 10 p.m. seas in the area were at 2 feet with south winds at 12 mph predicted and gusts up to 24 mph, according to the National Weather Service."

Even with a sustained Strong Breeze (Force 6, 22-27 knots), it takes a long while to build waves of that height in Nantucket Sound. I spent years moored just on the inside of where the ferry struck and know the conditions. I do not see how eight footers would have been possible that night. If there were such, given the tide everyone who did any walking would have been washed off the jetty and the ferry would have been flooded over the stern. The video and pix we see taken that night show much calmer conditions and give the lie to at least the weather part of the Authority's tale.
    Seems like quite a dramatic lie, which suggests a very deliberate and clumsy cover up doesn't it? What's that likely to be about? Skipper married to the chief investigators daughter or something?

"They had a pilot aboard? Is this common for such a short run ferry operating in the same state waters?" [#32]

The Authority designates the person on the bridge who shares steering with the captain as the pilot. He or she is not a licensed ship pilot, but all officers and helmsmen in the Authority have the level of memorized local knowledge a ship's pilot would be required to have.

Iyanough struck at half tide dropping. The pic at #2 (repeated at #22) was taken about an hour off high. The tide range that night was about 3 feet so the daylight pic shows water about 3" ("Rule of Twelfths") off highest.

The breakwater, by the way, is about four feet over the water at high tide at that part. People with no real clue as to tides walk the nearly a mile out to fish, getting past the hurricane made gaps that are nearer shore at low tide. If it's stormy the waves make that passage hazardous at half tide and up. When I had my mooring out there I more than once dinghyed stoned and drunk fishermen ashore - better than listening to their whinging all night. The older light tower had a big base and is a bit elevated, allowing loving couples an isolated albeit uncomfortable . . .

Back to sea state - I don't buy 8' but the Authority director who uttered that is not a seaman and I can't believe the Captain or pilot told him any such thing. However, even two footers will cause enough sea clutter, especially if the radar is at a quarter mile or so range, to make the breakwall not show on the radar. And it's always hard to see from a high bridge. Even from a low small boat, it's a bit hard to pick out in any diminished visibility.

The story is true in that radar targets of the breakwater end tower and the two boats furthest out in Hyannis Harbor make a pattern rather like buioys 4, 5, and 6 if you rotate the image counterclockwise a bit. The lights on those three buoys, quite easily seen from a low deck at close range, are harder to see from a high bridge. So if the ferry managed to get past the turning point without seeing the buoys either visually or on radar and if they had a heading-up radar display and if they were looking at those inputs and not the compass, they could indeed mistake the radar print of the tower and two boats for the buoys.

It's about 0.3 nm from the correct turning point to the place where I think they turned. When they turned they were one and two tenths of a mile from the breakwater moving at 32 knots - 2 to 4 seconds to crash. Maybe they were a little further out and had as much as 8 seconds.