Thread: Ferry hits Hyannis Port breakwater

Default Ferry hits Hyannis Port breakwater

I don't know more than is on the Cape Cod Times website. Too foggy to see if they got her off yet.

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news11/2...east-9-injured

Default Re: Ferry hits Hyannis Port breakwater

Here's a pic from a tour boat taken about 0730 this morning.

^ Agreed.

Hope everybody's ok.

Whoopsie shouldn't have had those last couple of drinks.

In this day and age of GPS accurate to just a few meters, it seems inconceivable that this could happen. I'll be interested to learn the results of the inevitable investigation.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

that looks bad. sounds like the operator either had a personal medical situation or was in serious error.

I do drive the WETA boats on a rare occasion here in San Francisco which are quite similar. I am sure the AIS and radar were on. Driving a ferry is serious business. full concentration especially in port landings is paramont.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

I propose that it would take a bit of headway to make it that far up on the breakwater. I trust that nobody was seriously hurt - the link to the news article is too cluttered with pop-up ads for me to read. Does not bode well for the ferry company at the beginning of the tourist season...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I once took a high speed ferry from Pt. Judith to Block Island, and was pretty shocked at the speed which the skipper used, inside the harbor of refuge, once he left the channel. I was standing right behind the bridge, looking in through a window at the skipper and first mate at the controls, and it struck me that they seemed entirely too casual in their manner, as the revved the engines and blasted out of the channel.... and this was still well within the circular breakwater there. They left a substantial wake inside the confines of the harbor of refuge, and it's a place where there can be significant wind and waves, despite the rip-rap... there were probably boats at anchor which felt it strongly.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Something weird.

A storm last winter took out the light at the end of the breakwater. It has been replaced and should have been working last night. There used to be a long run into the center of Hyannis Harbor about half way from the old steam ship wharf at the end of Old Colony Road (rocks on north shore of harbor) and the end of the breakwater. The light was then flashing green. When they straightened the channel maybe 15 years ago that light on the jetty was changed to flashing white.

Now coming from Nantucket the ferry runs fast pretty much NxE past the MoA "HH" and turns to NExE when aligned with the first leg of the channel.

At the speed they go there, it would take only seconds to overshoot the turning point. If the pilot miss identified the jetty light, it's easy to be looking over buoys '5' and '6' (hidden by the jetty) and line up further down on the next lit buoys, '9' and '10'.

I'm surprised they wound up as high on the breakwater as they did as I think they hit a little before half tide and ebbing. At least riding up as she did no doubt softened the deceleration and saved passengers and crew from more and more serious injury.

I have know several boats that got confused by shore lights here. The most common error is that there's a street signal light well inshore in Yarmouth that one might mistake for a green or red (and just forget the yellow times). Those boats usually hit Kalmus beach just at the base of that jetty.

None of which excuses a licensed operator who has done this hundreds of times.

Do commercial ships such as this have data and voice recorders?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Most do. I'd be surprised if these did not.

They have moved the ferry off and a tug is handling oil containment and cleanup. And at this tide I could see clearly that Iyanough did not ride at all up and over, but rather punched two holes (catamaran) in the breakwater.

Late for dinner? Taking a short cut?

We will hopefully know what happened.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Was there a container ship doing "U" turns nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Something weird.

A storm last winter took out the light at the end of the breakwater. It has been replaced and should have been working last night. There used to be a long run into the center of Hyannis Harbor about half way from the old steam ship wharf at the end of Old Colony Road (rocks on north shore of harbor) and the end of the breakwater. The light was then flashing green. When they straightened the channel maybe 15 years ago that light on the jetty was changed to flashing white.

Now coming from Nantucket the ferry runs fast pretty much NxE past the MoA "HH" and turns to NExE when aligned with the first leg of the channel.

At the speed they go there, it would take only seconds to overshoot the turning point. If the pilot miss identified the jetty light, it's easy to be looking over buoys '5' and '6' (hidden by the jetty) and line up further down on the next lit buoys, '9' and '10'.

I'm surprised they wound up as high on the breakwater as they did as I think they hit a little before half tide and ebbing. At least riding up as she did no doubt softened the deceleration and saved passengers and crew from more and more serious injury.

I have know several boats that got confused by shore lights here. The most common error is that there's a street signal light well inshore in Yarmouth that one might mistake for a green or red (and just forget the yellow times). Those boats usually hit Kalmus beach just at the base of that jetty.

None of which excuses a licensed operator who has done this hundreds of times.
    Once long ago, I mistook a red nav light of another aircraft and a green traffic light on the ground as an aircraft headed right at me. It was very convincing for a few seconds.

Explaining the the wild ride to my passengers wasn't easy.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Really does look like someone really tuned out.

Unemployment beckons.

After being pulled off she made it under her own power first to her slip in Hyannis and then, after a check and again under her own power, to Fairhaven where they think it will take a couple of weeks to fix her back up. Considering that she hit the breakwater at 32 knots, pretty impressive construction.

That'll buff out just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Might need a little duct tape.

Impressive concentration of strength in the bows of many boats. I remember when the old Martha's Vineyard, then in service in the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson line, made a hot landing, could not get into reverse quite right, and put the bow through a concrete and steel shore bulkhead and five feet into the brick wall of Newcomb Brothers Garage. Not much more than paint damage.

Here's a pic from a tour boat taken about 0730 this morning.

My first thought was, why is the breakwater camouflaged?

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I hit a hemlock log broadside, while it floated just under the surface. I was sailing my Laser at about 6- 7 kts. It was like a train wreck, I nearly rolled off the boat, it stopped so fast. I can't imagine what it must have been like to ram that breakwater at 30+! I hope everyone was sitting down. Maybe they need seat belts?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough.
    Flex Tape - don't you watch the commercials where he saws the row boat in half and tapes it back together? Yah Hoo !!!

Impressive concentration of strength in the bows of many boats. I remember when the old Martha's Vineyard, then in service in the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson line, made a hot landing, could not get into reverse quite right, and put the bow through a concrete and steel shore bulkhead and five feet into the brick wall of Newcomb Brothers Garage. Not much more than paint damage.
    I can remember taking that boat on the beginning of our honeymoon back in 1980. I wonder what become of her. It was a nice looking little ship.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.