Thread: Repairing a 1900s Delaware Ducker for use in the lakes

Default Repairing a 1900s Delaware Ducker for use in the lakes

Hello all,

I have acquired a 1900s Delaware Ducker powered by oar. It has been stored in museums for probably the last 50 years. I do not want to restore this to museum quality. Rather, my plan is to repair so that use it regularly in neighborhood lakes during summer months, wheeling it to the beach. I have never repaired a wood boat, but I'm very competent with woodworking and I've sailed large sailboats all my life. My thought is to paint the bottom so that it is better protected from the elements and use. Not sure what to do with the inside. I'd like to varnish the decks and gunwales when I add them.

I need a place to start. Hull, topside, inside. Pease advise.

I would also like advice on:

How to prepare the hull for painting. Should I use cotton caulking or, since I plan to paint, something else? How much should I worry about the small gaps? What type of hardware should I use? Do you see dry rot?

You may view the pictures at http://people.camden.rutgers.edu/gca...king-projects/

Thanks! Gail

Default Re: Repairing a 1900s Delaware Ducker for use in the lakes

Welcome to the forum.

First off, clean everything down to bare wood. Then find out why those fastenings have let go.
    The images are tiny, and so it is difficult to see what some of them portray, can you post larger ones? Look at the FAQ page for instructions on posting decent sized pictures.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

This is not intended to be rude, but this boat is a museum piece. If you are looking for a boat to go splashing in "neighborhood lakes", you would be doing yourself and the boat a favor by getting a modern boat and passing the ducker along to someone who can restore it properly.

Sorry. I do not mean to offend

looking like she needs a sheer plank and some rails.
    Welcome aboard Gail! If you need help I'm not far.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...58#post3996158

Welcome. You definitely have a cool project.

From the pictures it looks like a lapstrake boat. If that's the case then there would be no caulking just a good fit where the planks overlap.

The biggest areas of concern that I see are here.

The stem and sheer plank here are beyond repair and will need to be replaced in part or in whole.

This section of the keel/stem is rotten and will need to be replaced.

This section of the keel will need to be investigated to determine why the fasteners let go and fix whatever the underlying issue is.

I would address these backbone issues first as they are the foundation of your boat. Step one for me would be to build a cradle/brace the hull so that it doesn't lose shape when the cutting begins.

Good luck.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

PC, the ducker is a very common boat in the museums out this way, given it's nnot been restored kinda tells us it's not worth the trouble even though basic restoration could do it justice.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...58#post3996158

I do understand pcford and agree that this boat could and perhaps, should be restored to museum quality. No offense taken. The boat was heading to the landfill if I didn't pick it up. Whatever I do with it would create more memories. However, I would pass it to someone who can restore. Any interest?

Thank you, Nick for that suggestion.

Denise, thank you. I'll reach out.

I'd much rather restore boats then build new, glad you saved her! Do you have any information, nameplate, or numbers? Yah she's​ clinker lapstrake, that a sneakbox she sitting next to?
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 06-09-2017 at 02:41 PM.

PM sent.. guess we lost another new to the forum, sigh,