Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Knee

Default My New Knee

Jesus, that smarted! Feeling much better a week later though.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Default Re: My New Knee

Replacement surgery? I know a lot of people who got good results, but pain is the price. Good luck to you. I hope you have a full recovery.

And then the physio started. . . . .
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Do they still have you on the good meds?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

And then the murders began. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Good luck and speedy recovery, Lew.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Did they at least give you the old one in a jar?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Everyone I know who has had knee replacement surgery say that it was a good decision. That includes my kid sister who will have it done on her second knee in October.

Wishing you all the best, Lew!
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    And then the murders began. . .
    A nimble Lew is a force to be reckoned with!
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Good to hear this, Lew.
    Best wishes!

Clutch knee?
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

How's the jerk reaction on the new one?

Best wishes for a kick butt recovery.

One of my aunts had two hips and a knee, and a splint of some sort in one ankle. Result of an air crash in the 1950's.
    Had several refits over the years.

Had a client who had two done, was playing tennis 6 months later, no pain. You'll be fine, Lew. Enjoy that Porsche!
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

So when is your next marathon?
    Seriously, I hope you have a speedy recovery Lew.
    It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Hope the meds are first rate and the nurses all pretty!

All the best for a quick and enjoyable future.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

A few replies at random to your questions and thanks for your good wishes! It's the reason I've been absent from the discussion for the last days and I'm still not fully comfortable sitting at my desk for long sessions.

Yes Mr. Smith, full replacement. I'd put it off as long as I could, but it was messing with my style.

"And then the physio started." Nick, and enough about that! The PT puts you off for a few hours, but then, that's why there are meds.

Clutch knee, Brian. Since you mention it, while doing some test drives of 911s a couple of weeks ago, I found the clutches on the big Porsches stiff enough to remind me just how lousy that knee was. It will be a few weeks before I can drive again. I'm pouring over Car Gurus, Cars.com and AutoTrader as a diversion.

Thank you Glen, Jeff, Tom, Jim Isla and Gerard. Glen, how many times have we said to each other that this getting old business is not for wimps? Well, it ain't!

Gerard, don't be too surprised if the Porsche ends up a C7 Grand Sport or a Lotus Evora. I know. Corvette? Lotus? But the Grand Sport is the best value by far and the Lotus Evora is a real heart throb even though it makes no sense on paper. I loved driving it the most but there are so many reasons not to buy a Lotus in America. I'm having a tough time finding a 997 Turbo anywhere near me to try so I've shifted focus to a later model 911 GTS for the moment. A delicious first world problem still seeking a solution.

The first two days after the surgery I thought I'd made a horrible mistake, but having gotten through that, especially the first night into morning without the meds, I was sure I'd made a mistake. It didn't bother me in the hospital (after all, they had meds) so I went home thinking the talk of pain was just a bunch of noise created by people who didn't know how to take it. Obviously, a hasty conclusion that was made without having all the facts! Now I can see that it will all work out, but I was worn thin for a couple of days. Not having the pain meds ready to hand at home was a BIG mistake.

My other knee is no prize petunia but it's ok for now. When it starts sending morse code messages like "this" one did (click, click, click......clack clack, clack......click, click, click) I'll get it done and make sure the meds are laid in before I get home.

I've no doubt it will all come out great. Hey John (Teetsle)....thanks for the tip. You know what I said that first day about having it all under control? I lied!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Hope you heal fast and true.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Hope the meds are first rate and the nurses all pretty!
    She's as pretty as she was the last time you saw her

Thanks, Mike!

Lew, my lady has had both knees and a hip replaced - her advice would be to keep 'ahead' of the pain with your meds...
    kind of like preventive maintenance on the pain. Hope your rehab continues to go well

Rick

All the best for a quick recovery Lew.

There are more cars to be tested!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Lew, my lady has had both knees and a hip replaced - her advice would be to keep 'ahead' of the pain with your meds...
    kind of like preventive maintenance on the pain. Hope your rehab continues to go well

Rick
    Well, I was up until yesterday. That is, once we had them in hand. I didn't get the script until I left the hospital and I'd ask for it in advance in the future. They kicked me out day early and I didn't fight them. My wife and I were both concerned that we had a bagful of meds to buy but I think we reckoned we had that last day to get it done. The hospital's protocol let me down. I'm smarter now. I'm not in nearly as much pain as I was a few days ago. Not complaining.

I'm inclined to agree with your wife by the way I'm sure you usually are too!

Heal well, Lew!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks Kevin! I just took my meds

You've haven't lived until you've had both knees replaced the same day. What a scream that was! Three days in the hospital followed by seven days in a rehab center. Five months later I was hiking in the Grand Teton Mountains. Held off skiing until the following winter, though. That was nine years ago and things are still holding together.
    It's all about mental attitude. You have to want your life to improve, realize it's going to be a tough trip and do what the docs and therapists tell you.
    Heal well, Lew!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    She's as pretty as she was the last time you saw her
    Best in class.

I'm not man enough to have them both done at once! Yes it is worthwhile, I was roller skating 6 weeks after my right one was replaced in 2013. Having the left one done this year after boating season ends. Do listen to the therapists and yes it is going to hurt.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Good luck, tough guy.

Clutch knee - bummer! I'm sure you could get the Lotus with an automatic...

OK, OK, I already washed my mouth out with soap.

BTW - my ex got a new knee & 2 months later did a 400 mile bicycle ride.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Congrats! Heal quickly, and heal well.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

This thread interests me.

I went to a doctor 3 weeks ago, ordered X-rays and prescribed some medication
    X-rays were negative. I'm in a lot of pain. Asked for stronger stuff like Tyonal 3.
    Gives me $95 worth of useless stuff figures I just want to get higher.
    POed went to another doctor, got some 3's and a blood test. Should have results tomorrow.

He says may be gout.

Lot of talk about knee replacement.

Scary

Where do these replacement knees come from.
    3D printing, accident victims?
    Does one size fit all?
    I mean I take a size 12 (46) shoe.
    Like any nurse will tell you, "Bog feet, big knees."

Can barely walk more than 10 steps.
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    You've haven't lived until you've had both knees replaced the same day. What a scream that was! Three days in the hospital followed by seven days in a rehab center. Five months later I was hiking in the Grand Teton Mountains. Held off skiing until the following winter, though. That was nine years ago and things are still holding together.
    It's all about mental attitude. You have to want your life to improve, realize it's going to be a tough trip and do what the docs and therapists tell you.
    Heal well, Lew!
    First - Heal well, Lew!

Second - Rich - was that a wise move in your opinion? My dad, who turns 87 this year will have a knee replacement in September. We were up at WoodenBoat last summer and I was really struck with how much he'd slowed down because of the knee. He probably needs both done, but they're doing one at a time. His health is pretty good, otherwise, but the knee and the lack of mobility has been taking a toll.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    All the best for a quick recovery Lew.

There are more cars to be tested!
    And I intend to test them!

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    This thread interests me.

I went to a doctor 3 weeks ago, ordered X-rays and prescribed some medication
    X-rays were negative. I'm in a lot of pain. Asked for stronger stuff like Tyonal 3.
    Gives me $95 worth of useless stuff figures I just want to get higher.
    POed went to another doctor, got some 3's and a blood test. Should have results tomorrow.

He says may be gout.

Lot of talk about knee replacement.

Scary

Where do these replacement knees come from.
    3D printing, accident victims?
    Does one size fit all?
    I mean I take a size 12 (46) shoe.
    Like any nurse will tell you, "Bog feet, big knees."

Can barely walk more than 10 steps.
    Just make sure you insist on the BMW branded knee.

I found my best defense was to not to think about it too much leading up to the surgery. I have a lifetime of experience ignoring the future so it was easy for me. If my experience is anything to go by, it's quite painful for three or four days after the anesthetics wear off unless you take the meds on a schedule. After that, it's just sort of painful sometimes, mostly during and after PT. I think prostate surgery was worse, maybe because there are no effective drugs allowed to alleviate the burn. You need to stay loose in that situation so you're denied the good stuff. You can handle it! It's been just a week since they sawed me and I haven't cried for hours!

seriously, when I'm resting, which is most of the time, it's not that bad at all. But boring? Hoo boy!