Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New Knee

Default Re: My New Knee

Well wishes for a speedy recovery, Lew. You represent the best in us.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    You've haven't lived until you've had both knees replaced the same day. What a scream that was! Three days in the hospital followed by seven days in a rehab center. Five months later I was hiking in the Grand Teton Mountains. Held off skiing until the following winter, though. That was nine years ago and things are still holding together.
    It's all about mental attitude. You have to want your life to improve, realize it's going to be a tough trip and do what the docs and therapists tell you.
    Heal well, Lew!
    That's why I'm going at it one at a time, plus my right knee isn't nearly as bad. Maybe I'll notice it more when the left one is pain free. I'm planning to be up and about in four or five weeks, good enough to at least walk a few miles and drive a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    First - Heal well, Lew!
    Thanks! It's endurable. I'm not unhappy I elected to do them one at a time. Dad's made it to 87 so he must be a tough dude. He'll be OK as long as he's operable. It's not fun, but there were a bunch of little old ladies in the rehab center along with me yesterday. If they can do it, we can do it. I'm really glad I have Lindy and my daughter to watch after me. Family makes it so much easier.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 06-08-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Good luck with it Lew. I hope the recovery goes well.

You probably don't want to hear of a less successful one, eh? Oh well.... Di ended up with internal scarring after her half knee replacement was upgraded to a full one, some years later. She has ongoing pain and some movement restriction as a result. It's stopping her getting the other knee replaced. Both were injured when she rolled her car (7 to 9 times, depending on who did the counting) back many decades ago. She's had both hips done too.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    ... I have a lifetime of experience ignoring the future so it was easy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Good luck with it Lew. I hope the recovery goes well.

You probably don't want to hear of a less successful one, eh? Oh well.... Di ended up with internal scarring after her half knee replacement was upgraded to a full one, some years later. She has ongoing pain and some movement restriction as a result. It's stopping her getting the other knee replaced. Both were injured when she rolled her car (7 to 9 times, depending on who did the counting) back many decades ago. She's had both hips done too.
    My knees, especially the left, first started bothering me after a plane crash in 1979. That was OK when I was younger but became increasingly bothersome a few years ago.

We accept the risks when we sign the form, but I'm sorry to hear about Di's problem. I expect a better outcome, but who knows? There is some sort of scar tissue remediation called for in my program, forget what they call it but it's on the menu and I hear it can be quite a ride. There's a hell of a lot of swelling down there right now but I expect to get through it and come out the other end. I'll be pissed if it doesn't work to plan, but I expect it will.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    There's a saying we use around here. Don't borrow trouble. I became a little anxious two or three days before the operation. I just went car shopping right up until the end. That worked great!

Crap is it a full moon or something? Was at the ER for stupid high bp problems. Heal up Lew. Must be a bunch of folks over 60 here.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    A nimble Lew is a force to be reckoned with!
    A Nimblelew, it sounds like an African antelope !
    Heal fast and well Lew !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    My knees, especially the left, first started bothering me after a plane crash in 1979. That was OK when I was younger but became increasingly bothersome a few years ago.

We accept the risks when we sign the form, but I'm sorry to hear about Di's problem. I expect a better outcome, but who knows? There is some sort of scar tissue remediation called for in my program, forget what they call it but it's on the menu and I hear it can be quite a ride. There's a hell of a lot of swelling down there right now but I expect to get through it and come out the other end. I'll be pissed if it doesn't work to plan, but I expect it will.
    Well, yeah... that's normally the plan when dealing with swelling "down there", eh?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Mr. Barrett, I am glad you are feeling better and continue to heal. I am due for a hip replacement at some point in the next couple of years, and to be honest with you I am dreading the sitting around and being inactive worse than anything else.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Mr. Barrett, I am glad you are feeling better and continue to heal. I am due for a hip replacement at some point in the next couple of years, and to be honest with you I am dreading the sitting around and being inactive worse than anything else.

Mickey Lake
    I can barely take the monotony. It's the worst part and it interferes with healing as well, since inactivity breeds inactivity.

My leg swelled up this weekend. I ended up icing it all day yesterday and that helped but it was a real PITA. There is a learning curve to absorb in dealing with this. As soon as I feel better, I end up pushing myself. When I do that, I end up hurting. Finding the balance between "bed sore" and too much has taken some time. I'd post a photo of the black and blue and bruising, but I don't want to frighten anybody. Lesson number one: If I had it to do over again, I'd do inpatient rehab.

We decided we need to go out tonight for dinner, the first time since I got home. Otherwise, you end up a prisoner in your house. Something to look forward to, then.

Mick, I hear hips are easier than knees. When the time comes, I hope to be able to offer you some advise based on my experience. As I said, there's a learning curve and the first lesson is probably that healing from something like this is not a linear process or a straight line.

All the best for a swift and complete recovery.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Think how boring it'd be without the internet, and esp., the WBF/bilge rats!

Jus' saying, Lew. Ya got it purty 'sweet'!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

It was a year last week since I got my knee replaced so I thought I'd report on the whole affair.

First, I've lost 55 pounds since then and a big part of the motivation was supplied by the surgery. I decided to get the weight off my remaining good knee so I might put off a second operation for as long as possible. So that's good. I still have a bit of weight to lose and I continue to work on that. Although my progress has slowed considerably, I'm still losing about 3-4 pounds a month so the thing has resulted in a complete review and adjustment of my lifestyle in respect to health.

My knee is still often a bit numb, but I barely notice that. The nerves surrounding the knee were obviously torn up resulting in an odd phenomenon. That is, when I touch (lightly brush) the knee in one spot, I feel it in a different place. Weird, but entertaining. Of course the shape of my left knee has been altered. Kneeling on that knee is very strange feeling but the upside is that banging it into desk corners and the like is barely noticeable. I walk without a limp and can go eight or ten miles, indefinitely really as respects the knee. My feet give out first. All to the good. As usual, the pain of the surgery and healing is so far behind me that I barely remember it in any physical sense. The thing is a bit noisy though and clicks, pops and groans (I'm the only person who can actually hear that) just as much (but in a different way) than it did when I was bone on bone. But I don't feel it as pain, it just makes some noise when I get out of a chair.

So would I do it again? Yes, I would but before I did that, I'd do everything possible to avoid the surgery. Which, as I said, I have been approaching through exercise and diet. I don't necessarily recommend getting your leg "frenched" like a lamb chop unless you really need to get a replacement, but if you do need one, go ahead and get it. It's worth it.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 06-12-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Good stuff, glad you are happy with the results. But we need pix of you in your new fighting weight.

Wow, 55 pounds! Well done. I could do some of that myself.

Thanks for the update.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

A coworker here is just back at his desk today after having a knee replaced the week before last. The other knee is scheduled for october, but "this has been much more of an ordeal than I was lead to expect".
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Lew... I keep meaning to ask. Is this a 'hanging knee' or a 'standing knee'? I hope you picked a surgeon with enough maritime background to know the difference <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Good on you Lew! Bet you look great! Not that you weren’t great before.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Nice follow up and words of wisdom. Glad you are managing and taken a new approach for long term health and fitness.
    A little more to do to get ready to do your upcoming euro tour.

Question: can you do bicycle riding comfortably now?
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Nice job, Lew.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Lew, how did you lose the weight?
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

No more skateboarding for you!
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Nimble Lew's new knee
    Say that three times fast