Thread: John Gardner Small Craft Workshop during the WB Show at Mystic

Default John Gardner Small Craft Workshop during the WB Show at Mystic

https://www.mysticseaport.org/event/...raft-workshop/ I expect to bring the 21' racing Dory again. Come. Bring a boat. Go sailing.

Default Re: John Gardner Small Craft Workshop during the WB Show at Mystic

If you haven't taken advantage of this you should. Join the Traditional Small Craft Association. Sign up. Stay on the Joseph Conrad (I think $15 a night). Great Time, great people, spend the weekend in Mystic Seaport, get to tour the Seaport's Small Boat collection (usually closed to the public)

https://vimeo.com/72602445

Great video! Thanks.

I plan to get there Friday afternoon and stay the weekend. I signed up for the workshop and camping on the Conrad. Weather permitting I will bring RIVUS, 16' melonseed, and plan to hang out at the Australian Beach and put in some hours at the TSCA booth.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraftAssociation
    DowneastTSCA.org

TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

There is some talk of getting the Draken crew afloat; if that is the case, I'll bring down the faering again for some square sailing with people who know what they are doing.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Excited for this fun time. I'll have my Sidney Herreshoff Beverly Dinghy again that will be available to use, she is fun to sail, and either the duckpunt or a Mik Storer Taal SUP. For reasons unknown the duckpunt was only used by two people last year and I am acquainted with one of them, so I may leave it at home.

I'm trying to get a 1964 Old Town OTCA back up and running with full sailing rig but procurement of certain parts has been slower than anticipated and as of right now she is not ready to sail at Mystic.

Hoping for the same great weather we had last year! Yeah!

Considering I live in Mystic, maintain a family membership to the Seaport, need to fill the summertime hours for three bored teens, will have my father visiting, and am actually building a wooden boat (for the first time), I suppose I should check this out...
    I am hoping that the craftsmanship and beauty on display there will not have the adverse effect of discouraging me from continuing.

Thad I am sorry to say Bill and I will both not be there this year. Bill is on a trip to the northwest somewhere and I have family obligations being it is 4th week end and lots of family stuff on the Cape

I'll be stopping by to say hi. ..... somewhere I may still have my copy of "Ash Breeze" #1.

I will be there with my two 20-something sons, who I would love to get out on small boats. Does anyone know if there are PFDs to rent or borrow from the Small Boat House livery? We're all flying in so can't bring our own. -Dan

Quote Originally Posted by snaildrake View Post
    I will be there with my two 20-something sons, who I would love to get out on small boats. Does anyone know if there are PFDs to rent or borrow from the Small Boat House livery? We're all flying in so can't bring our own. -Dan
    Generally all the livery boats will be available with PFD's. You might be able to talk them into letting you borrow some to try out other boats. But I'll be bringing down the ducker and will have a coupe of PFD's along with it which anyone that wants to use the boat can use.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    There is some talk of getting the Draken crew afloat; if that is the case, I'll bring down the faering again for some square sailing with people who know what they are doing.
    Looks like it will make the most sense for me to bring down the JOSEF W. the ducker. Lowered onto trailer, adjusted same, tested the lights. Lights not good, chased a ground that had gotton wonky, now we have lights. Ducker now benefiting from a garden hose soaking, some boat blankets inside, then friendly thunderstorms to keep it up. A couple of rigs, the sculling oar and pushpoles to be lashed to trailer. I guess I should really laboriously tighten up all the rivets. After 39 years shrunk up a little.
    Ben Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Scotian View Post
    I am hoping that the craftsmanship and beauty on display there will not have the adverse effect of discouraging me from continuing.
    If you had seen my duckpunt last year with the duct-taped boomjaws you would have been reassured. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by snaildrake View Post
    I bring extra PFD's usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Looks like it will make the most sense for me to bring down the JOSEF W. the ducker. Lowered onto trailer, adjusted same, tested the lights. Lights not good, chased a ground that had gotton wonky, now we have lights. Ducker now benefiting from a garden hose soaking, some boat blankets inside, then friendly thunderstorms to keep it up. A couple of rigs, the sculling oar and pushpoles to be lashed to trailer. I guess I should really laboriously tighten up all the rivets. After 39 years shrunk up a little.
    Excited to see the ducker. If I remember correctly you said yourself you had to choose between bringing big boats (faering) or giving tours, the ducker allows both, methinks!

Thanks for the note Bob. Have fun!!

Since I'll be camping on the Conrad and an early riser, anyone know what the coffee options are at 5am? Can you escape the yard at that hour? It's a little late to get concerned about that now, but that morning jolt is rather important.
    Steve B
    DowneastTSCA.org

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

If you are staying on the Conrad the guards will let you in and out, any time.

No instructions this year, or at least I didn't get any... Trailer parking the same?

Mystic Middle School. Instructions are found on the PDF listed on the rt side: https://www.mysticseaport.org/event/...raft-workshop/
    Steve B
    DowneastTSCA.org

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

Two of my customers-extroidinaire have their Deblois St Dory there.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

'Twas another great TSCA workshop! A big thank you to the John Gardner Chapter for their hospitality, Thad for his much fun rides in his impressive Mower Dory, the Krevens for giving dozens of rides in the Debois Street Dory, and Ben Fuller for bringing the Ducker... I have now sailed a Delaware Ducker and now I want one, I want one bad, I am haunted.

Ben also gave his legendary tour of the Mill building with the Small Boats Collection. I missed this tour last year and this year I made it a point to attend. It was an experience the likes of which I did not expect. Absolutely unreal. Between the collection itself and Ben's deep knowledge it is fast becoming a pivotal point in my relationship with small traditional craft, a damn near life changing event. Woah, mind blown.

Great sailing this year, again!

That Mill building collection is awesome! I was there a few years ago and got the golden opportunity to walk through the place. What a treasure trove of boats!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.