Thread: Torqueedo 80 Install

Default Torqueedo 80 Install

I'm helping a client repower his 47' boat with an electric outboard. 80 hp is the largest Torqueedo makes. The batteries, which will reside in the bilge, are approx. 15" high X 23" wide X 47" long. About 400# apiece. The outboard itself is maybe 300#. The shipment arrived today, and this album is just a few snaps of unloading, the crew we assembled, and the goodies involved. More later --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arbord...57681722889204

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Torqueedo 80 Install

Watching with great interest. I've had a goood experience with a Travel 1003 outboard. Thinking of installing a Torqeedo 6hp pod drive on my 16' Catboat.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

We've got that 1003 on a little WalkerBay10 tender in the marina. Seems to work well. Just short run-times with only the integral battery. In fact, another battery was supposed to arrive with this shipment yesterday, but didn't. I'll try and take additional fotos and report back as the install progresses.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

We've unpacked the crate that arrived late, and I've taken a few more shots, including a better serious of the motor itself.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arbord...57681722889204
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I ran that motor installed aboard a RIB center console a few years back. Delivered " combustion equivalent" performance; though not range.( This was a yacht tender, so range wasn't the issue it might be for a runabout or power cruiser.)

Subscribed.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I've been thinking about installing a pod drive on our Friendship Sloop. Any guidelines on locating the pod fore/aft and inboard/outboard? The boat has no hull penetrations for an inboard (I've currently got an outboard on the back), so I'm starting from scratch on locating it.

Thanks,

Harvey

I would think as close to inboard as possible. Outboard and she would be hard to steer until you got up to speed.

I found that out when I mounted a trolling motor on my Elver. As it is a double ender there's no real transom so I mounted it on the port quarter about 3' forward of the stern. After having it go all over the place in the marina I pushed the mounting back as far aft as possible without the propeller hitting the rudder. It's still not perfect but it helped a lot.
    Will

That's my thought too. One issue is the changing underwater shape (from a horizontal flat near the stern to almost a vee at the bow).

The outboard has good and bad features. I can partially offset the prop walk in reverse (I have to tie down the tiller), but getting going into a strong headwind (or bow quarter)-kind of like balancing a bowling ball on a needle. OTOH, I can turn the outboard with the tiller and spin the boat in a pretty tight spot.

Mounting the drive off the centerline (even a little) will impact tracking under power. It's a long keel with a lot of drag to it, so there's less keel at the bow to fight the torque of the offset drive.

I don't know. It's an interesting design problem.

Thanks,

Harvey

They haven't put a lot of effort into the styling of the thing have they?

I'm watching with the exact same interest as CapnHarv: a possible power source for my Friendship sloop. I don't want to, but the tendonitis is telling me I'll eventually need something other than oars.

Alex

I saw that battery at the boat show in Fredrichshafen this year. I thought it very interesting, because it is the same system that BMW uses in their iDrive. While overall a bit expensive, it seems to fit well with their hybrid system. It was one of those “I wish I had the funds to really play with a design” type things. That battery, their matching gen set and inboard motor could make a sweet little trawler, or even an old-style clipper bow/fantail stern type cruiser. A 50 hp diesel would still be less expensive, but the fun you could have with this...
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...