Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 45859495
Results 3,291 to 3,322 of 3322

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Definitely think about foot tension when reefed. Quite important. It's exactly when you don't want baggy shaped sails.

Oh and I'd be patiently searching gumtree for a used headsail furler. New is surely just going to be too spendy.

Patiently. I've heard that word before somewhere. Yeah. Nah.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    And is your reefing turning block placed sufficiently aft to achieve good foot tension when reeled? Systems I've seen have a loop tied off around the boom as you say, then up through the cringle, then back to the end of the boom, where they enter the boom and go forward, until they exit near the mast. On Balias timber boom I have 2 lines permanently attached to the reef cringle, one I tie around the boom for leech tension, the other aft to the foot cringle for foot tension.
    I removed the cheek blocks from Masina's boom and put low friction rings at the end for that reason. I like it but cheek blocks are very popular. They should certainly be placed far enough back to achieve tension.

I thought that topping lift fitting looked too flimsy too but if that's what the sailmaker reckons will do then I'm not arguing.

I'd definitely fit horns for reefing, or a simple hook system. But that comes later, doesn't it?

Rick

I've started rigging those boom fittings. The flimsy fitting is going into the spares bin for a light dinghy job one day, and the plan now is to use a fitting the same as the tack fitting at the clew. The horn cleats and nylon fairleads are installed. The tack fitting is almost installed and the cheek blocks are going to need some MacGyvering because I can't reach the nylock nuts inside the section, so I can't tighten them up. The hefty vang and mainsheet fittings are so hefty I can't install them without either MacGyvering the fittings, which would significantly weaken them, or MacGyvering the extrusion profile, which would weaken the mounting points. I am looking at the possibility of sliding a ss plate into the profile to bolt the fittings to. I haven't been able to find an off-the-shelf fitting that fits and is strong enough. I'm considering an eye bolt vertically through the whole of the boom for the mainsheet attachment point, as most of the force is almost vertically downwards in direction, effectively.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

That's how it is with boats.

Back from a tour of the chandleries and sailmakers with a head full of new ideas and some stuff.

I have a new eye saddle of the large industrial strength kind for the outhaul. Happy.

Also extra bolts so that the heads are all the same, Phillips, not a mixture of Ph and Flat. Happy.

Having talked through the options for the mainsheet and vang attachments with another sailmaker I've come home with some big-arxe Dyneema to make boom-looping hanging straps. The mainsheet loop will go through the outhaul eye saddle at the top to keep it from running along the boom. The vang loop will have that flimsy fitting on top of the boom to stop the loop running along the boom, so at least I will actually use it and not just chuck it in the bits box. The Dyneema is toadally big arxe and I get to play loopy-splicey stuff with it. I may insert friction rings to spread the load of the snap shackles from the tackles. VERY HAPPY.

Photos later.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Back from a tour of the chandleries and sailmakers with a head full of new ideas and some stuff.

I have a new eye saddle of the large industrial strength kind for the outhaul. Happy.

Also extra bolts so that the heads are all the same, Phillips, not a mixture of Ph and Flat. Happy.

Having talked through the options for the mainsheet and vang attachments with another sailmaker I've come home with some big-arxe Dyneema to make boom-looping hanging straps. The mainsheet loop will go through the outhaul eye saddle at the top to keep it from running along the boom. The vang loop will have that flimsy fitting on top of the boom to stop the loop running along the boom, so at least I will actually use it and not just chuck it in the bits box. The Dyneema is toadally big arxe and I get to play loopy-splicey stuff with it. I may insert friction rings to spread the load of the snap shackles from the tackles. VERY HAPPY.

Photos later.
    MacGyver and me. What a team. Feeling even happier now, even though I'm not quite finished with it.

The outhaul eye saddle is on, as is the outhaul shackle and the tiny weenie dyneema outhaul line.

The clew hold-down boom strap is on.

The vang restrainer saddle is on.

The outer (lower) reef block is on.

The tack eye saddle is on.

The black nylon fairlead eyes are on.

The reefing lines are on.

The reefing line horn cleats are on.

The inner (upper) reefing block is almost on but not quite. The nylock nuts have to be MacGyvered onto the bolts and all tightened up.

The Dyneema hanging straps for the mainsheet and vang are not yet on.

The tongue for the gooseneck fiting is not yet on.

At this point I could use a spare pair of hands to hold the Macgyver stick with the spanner on the end while I do up the remaining cheek block bolts. I'd persevere with it by myself this evening except I'm close to using persuasive profanities, so it's time for a rest. Also, it's time to go back over the youtube videos on splicing bigarxe Dyneema.
    Paperback E-book

I'm intending to make the Dyneema hanging loops for the mainsheet and vang by tying large soft shackles. That will let me attach and remove the loops as I need to, if I ever do, without having to remove their locator saddles. I could include a small amount of whipping to the shackles to keep them closed.

Comments welcome.

http://www.animatedknots.com/softshackle/

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Are you having slides securing the sail to the boom? Will the manky little fitting get in the way, or is that off to one side? And I guess you have to take the loops off with the sail, any time you want to take the sail off. Which would not be often, but would be neccesary occasionally.

[QUOTE=brucemoffatt

At this point I could use a spare pair of hands to hold the Macgyver stick with the spanner on the end while I do up the remaining cheek block bolts. I'd persevere with it by myself this evening except I'm close to using persuasive profanities, so it's time for a rest. Also, it's time to go back over the youtube videos on splicing bigarxe Dyneema.[/QUOTE]
    Have you tried a second hand shop?

Are you having slides securing the sail to the boom? Will the manky little fitting get in the way, or is that off to one side? And I guess you have to take the loops off with the sail, any time you want to take the sail off. Which would not be often, but would be neccesary occasionally.
    No, the sail is now loose footed. At the tack it's shackled to an eye saddle and at the clew it has a webbing strap holding it against the boom and a dyneema outhaul lashed to an eye saddle. The tack shackle may yet become dyneema lashing. I like dyneema.
    Paperback E-book

Is your outhaul adjustable?

Remember that dyneema is a bit brittle so be careful where you lash it to things. If in doubt, use a dyneema-cored rope like Spectra.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Is your outhaul adjustable?

Remember that dyneema is a bit brittle so be careful where you lash it to things. If in doubt, use a dyneema-cored rope like Spectra.

Rick
    Yes, it's adjustable by how tight it is lashed. I have some spectra that I was going to use but the sail maker supplied a long, thin dyneema line to use. I might go back to using the spectra, and save the thin dyneema for something else.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

I'm done for today with boom stuff.

Tack fitting and horn cleats installed.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

I don't seem top be able to post any more of the photos. Maybe there's a file size limit or upload limit or something. Pity, there's some good shots of my feet in my Coomera thongs.

I made an executive decision not to do a fancy splice or soft shackle thingo with the dyneema hanging straps at the vang and mainsheet. I've tied off a double loop of 9mm dyneema at each, using a sheet bend. I'll stitch and whip the lose ends from those knots. At this stage I've stayed with using the really small dyneema outhaul. I'll replace it with Spectra when I'm out on the boat, if it seems necessary.
    Paperback E-book

Why do you have a tack fitting on the boom Bruce?

Rick

Good question. The mainsail was made to be roller reefed. There isn't a Cunningham eye. The tack cringle is offset aft of the line of the mast sail track so the tack cringle can be attached to the boom at the rolling fitting. The new boom doesn't roll now, but the mainsail would have needed a rebuild of the tack to rig it differently.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Clew, showing mainsheet hanger strap, outhaul line and clew strap.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Vang hanger strap.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Reefing block and line.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Reefing line fairleads.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Cool thongs

Cool thongs
    I need another trip to Qld to get some more. These have just about worn through. Surprising how much use I got out of them over the winter while I was freezing my arxe off.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

I have had success with ordinary domestic sewing machines form the 50's . they were I believe made by a tank factory in Adelaide.

when the rather rigid rubber belt broke I used 2 or three heavy rubber bands - and the machine was transformed!

it was as good as any soft electric start.

pick em up at jumble sales for peanuts

rgds,

frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank! View Post
    I have had success with ordinary domestic sewing machines form the 50's . they were I believe made by a tank factory in Adelaide.

when the rather rigid rubber belt broke I used 2 or three heavy rubber bands - and the machine was transformed!

it was as good as any soft electric start.

pick em up at jumble sales for peanuts

rgds,

frank
    Frank!

I never sent a copy of my book to you like I promised! Is there an emoticon for embarrassed??? Sorry, the thought slid out of my brain. I have one paper copy left, my own reference copy, and even that has been loaned out to my neighbours. You could get a Kindle copy from Amazon for about a dollar. See the 'Ebook' link in my signature.

I'm quietly looking for a sewing machine, and old Singer or something simple and strong and fairly cheap. What brand(s) have you used?

Cheers
    Paperback E-book

I was looking for a sewing machine, but then I blew the budget on an electric bike. I hope Frankk finds one and lends it to me.

I was looking for a sewing machine, but then I blew the budget on an electric bike. I hope Frankk finds one and lends it to me.
    Me too. Sheila's machine has stopped working and she is in the middle of making a jacket. Not sure what she'll do, but if she looks around for a replacement she might find one for Frankk.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Frank!

..........See the 'Ebook' link in my signature.
    yup - not a worry mate - am trying to organise this with wife who has the nouce to handle internet transactions.

I'm quietly looking for a sewing machine, and old Singer or something simple and strong and fairly cheap. What brand(s) have you used?

Cheers
    from memory, mums was a Pinnock Fridor (a what???) but I picked up a 'Hanimex' and a 'H.G.Palmer' all variations on a theme ...

will try a photo - cos to me it really looks like it was built by a tank factory looking for a post-war product!

dunno 'bout the Singer - older tech ....

20171212_080533.jpg

note rubber band drive - gives perfect "soft start"

and allows full power to be applied .....

who needs fancy electronics?
    Last edited by Frank!; 12-11-2017 at 04:16 PM.

My mates commercial machine was very cheap on ebay, but it's heavy. We built a hatch in his deck so the machine is on deck level when installed and you sit down in the well. Wallah….a sail loft floor.
    Problem is no roof and weather is important. He uses it to sew big tarps.