Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4282919293 LastLast
Results 3,186 to 3,220 of 3224

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

good-oh!

I made a quick phone call to the sailmaker and got an estimate to put two reef points into the new mainsail. It's within my expectations and budget. I'll be dropping the sail in to his loft some time soonish.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Trucking has been booked for the boomshakalakalaka.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Bruce what was the name of your mate that converted the TS16 to junk rig? I've been contacted by a bloke on the Gold Coast converting a Hartley 21 who is after info.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

His WBF login is goanywhere. If you PM him he should get an email notification.
    Paperback E-book

Thanks Bruce.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I've just become aware that there isn't any real consensus about how to sleep in a forward vee berth - head to bow or feet to bow. Pretty much all NA drawings show pillows on the berths, feet to bow. However it seems that some vee berths have the bow end slightly higher, making it a pain to sleep feet to bow if you suffer from reflux. It's also much easier for older crew to get in and out head ti bow. Arawana seems like it has enough shoulder room to sleep head to bow, so I'm going to see if that way works for us.

Note that I'm no suggesting this for underway sleeping.

Thoughts?

Paperback E-book

The bow is noisy, even at anchor.

Rick

I think I slept head forward at Robe and found it most comfortable. When sleeping with a partner I think shoulder, arm and elbow room might indicate sleeping feet forward. Although I seem to remember at least one seafaring couple I know saying that they found leg room more important. I think it's one of those things one can experiment with.

On Balias double, which is quite small at its wide aft and even smaller at its narrow forward end, and therefore comparable to a v berth, we have our heads aft, at the wide end. At risk of over sharing, we tend to retire to seperate berths after play time.

Arawana's new boom, at least the aluminium extrusion part, is trucking its way to us thanks to Frank! who very kindly took it to the trucking company in Melbourne for me. I'm very grateful.
    Paperback E-book

How do you calculate the difference in elastic properties between 9.5mm od x 4mm id vs 4.5mm od x 2mm id rubber band tubing?

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    How do you calculate the difference in elastic properties between 9.5mm od x 4mm id vs 4.5mm od x 2mm id rubber band tubing?

Measure 1 metre of elastic, clamp it to a door frame or such with the free end of the metre hanging down.
    Fix a kilogram of something to the free end - flour, whatever - measure how much elongation you get per kg metre.
    Repeat with other piece.
    Compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brilliant. And here I was thinking it was going to be something to do with the square root of the modulus of elasticity multiplied by the radius minus cosine something or other plus 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Brilliant. And here I was thinking it was going to be something to do with the square root of the modulus of elasticity multiplied by the radius minus cosine something or other plus 3.
    That's two of us. Unfortunately I was remiss in specifying my question. I only have the thinner tubing so I can't do a quick physical comparison without buying the thicker stuff. If I buy the thicker stuff I won't need to do the comparison. I'll just use the thicker stuff. What I'm going to do, if anyone is interested, is some live tests using one, two, three then four parallel pieces of the thinner stuff.

By the way it's for self steering, sheet to tiller, reaching.
    Paperback E-book

It's a simple measure but limited - the more the elastic is stretched the less it stretches. For Bruce's purpose it should be OK as hell only have short lengths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You would think the strength, resistance, elasticity, whatever, would be a direct function of the cross sectional area of the actual rubber. Two tubes would be twice as strong as one tube. So a thick tube, having twice the rubber of a thinner tube, would have twice the strength. If it's a rubber tube, then you can take your baseline from the thin tube. Work out the inside and outside diameters. Thhen work out the area of each circle thus described. Subtract the area of the ID circle from the area of the OD circle, and you have the cross sectional area of the tube wall. Then work out how to calculate the tube wall area of the unbought thicker tube. You need the OD and the ID. And extrapolate your strength, resistance, elasticity of your thinner tube to calculate that of your thicker tube.

That reminds me of this..............it's a bit long but interesting
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

It's probably a bit more complicated than I suggested above. As Chris says, the more you stretch it, the harder it gets to stretch it more. So if 1 kg hanging from your thin tube pulls it down, say 20cm, 2 kg probably won't pull it down 40cm. And 1 kg hanging off two lengths, will probably pull it down by a bit more than 10cm.

Well after watching the string program I can only say that I understand my daughter the physicist more and my string and rubber bands less.

Paperback E-book

I'd subtract the square of the inner diameter from the square of the outer diameter, for both pieces and compare the results.

Edit, I see Phil suggested the same thing.

I did the sums 9.5 squared -4 squared 74.25

4.5 squared - 2 squared 16.25

The thicker stuff is four and a half times stronger.
    Last edited by Hwyl; 10-17-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I'd subtract the square of the inner diameter from the square of the outer diameter, for both pieces and compare the results.

Edit, I see Phil suggested the same thing.

I did the sums 9.5 squared -4 squared 74.25

4.5 squared - 2 squared 16.25

The thicker stuff is four and a half times stronger.
    Thanks. You have given me a starting point for my next self-steering trials. I've bought a few metres of the stuff pictured to make elastic bands from so I can add or remove bands in parallel, to finely adjust the strength of the line that counter balances 1. the natural weather helm (beating and shy reaching to beam reaching) and 2. the headsail sheet (broad reaching to running.)

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    It's also interesting that the video is simultaneously visible and invisible. I only noticed it while browsing the forum using Tapatalk on the phone. It's not visible via Firefox on Windows 10. Let's see if it appears in a quoted reply...

ETA: Nope, not visible as part of quoted reply, but clearly there...
    Paperback E-book

What video?

What video?
    This was linked in #3205 but somehow not visible, except on my phone.

https://vimeo.com/93401635
    Paperback E-book

Oh, I thought he meant this thread!!

Oh, I thought he meant this thread!!
    Certainly turned out longer than I'd thought it would be.

Paperback E-book

And certainly interesting.

It's also interesting that the video is simultaneously visible and invisible. I only noticed it while browsing the forum using Tapatalk on the phone. It's not visible via Firefox on Windows 10. Let's see if it appears in a quoted reply...

ETA: Nope, not visible as part of quoted reply, but clearly there...
    ........given the subject material it's probably on of those 11 dimension / parallel universe things.

How long is a thread?

Rick

It has no length until you measure it - then it's infinitely long.

A brief diversion. My mental condition is being treated with SSRI drugs. I recently changed from one type to another on the advice/recommendation of my treating doctor. One side effect seems to be the ability to focus the mind quite well, but for limited amounts of time. Last night for example I had a wave of insights about the nature of matter, energy and time, so I sent SMS messages to my daughter, who is a physicist. The more I focussed the clearer the nature of the universe became. Along the way I got a message back 'you have just transitioned from "old" quantum mechanics to "new" quantum mechnics.' The saddest thing this morning was finding the messages and not having a half a clue what they mean...
    Paperback E-book

Ha Ha! Good one Rick!
    When I first noticed it not turn up on my iPhone I was going to post a link but didn't get a round to it.
    Then all this silliness started........

It has no length until you measure it - then it's infinitely long.

A brief diversion. My mental condition is being treated with SSRI drugs. I recently changed from one type to another on the advice/recommendation of my treating doctor. One side effect seems to be the ability to focus the mind quite well, but for limited amounts of time. Last night for example I had a wave of insights about the nature of matter, energy and time, so I sent SMS messages to my daughter, who is a physicist. The more I focussed the clearer the nature of the universe became. Along the way I got a message back 'you have just transitioned from "old" quantum mechanics to "new" quantum mechnics.' The saddest thing this morning was finding the messages and not having a half a clue what they mean...
    That must have been quite amazing, and in some respects even profound.

That must have been quite amazing, and in some respects even profound.
    I read somewhere that some medical scientists are suggesting that psilocybin might be useful as a treatment for depression, by effectively rebooting the brain. I was wondering last night whether perhaps some SSRI drugs might have side effects in common with psilocybin. Not that I'd personally know anything about such things as illicut psycho-active compounds, of course. My daughter says it has something to do with my uncut hair and the way the wind makes it stand on end. Apparently it's a physics thing.
    Paperback E-book

Is time observable in discrete quanta? Is there an absolute unit of time?

Paperback E-book

Is time objective or subjective, and what does that mean in respect of the Uncertainty Principle? Can time be simultaneously objective and subjective?

Paperback E-book