Page 36 of 93 FirstFirst ... 263536374686 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,260 of 3224

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    No reef points in the old main?
    No, unfortunately. Not yet.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

That's confidence !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

We should have thought of rushing the main into Newcastle to have some reef points built in while you were here Bruce. Fine time to say ..... I don't think there are any sailmakers around Jervis Bay, unfortunately. I think I'd trust the trysail over a roller-reefed main with sleeping bags stuffed into it for those blowy days but it would be interesting to see what shape you can achieve with various fillers. It doesn't resolve the issue of unfair strain on the luff and the real risk of stretching or tearing your new sail at that point under load. But, if you try it out and it looks okay then maybe it would be worth having some noodles handy if you're zipping along and want to tone things down a bit. Just remember that they're there when you let the reef out again or you might get a fright!

Rick

At this (early) stage, it looks like you might have a good window from Friday evening through to Sunday afternoon. You get belted on Sunday night/ Monday morning though so, it's tight. It looks like tomorrow evening will be blowy and Thursday as well.

I had a look at Bermagui Bar online. I've never been there so I don't know it really but, it's narrow and could be fairly shallow. There's a surfing point break on the southern side that breaks pretty much right across the bar. My guess is that it breaks in a solid southerly swell, which is what I think you might have this weekend if you go there. I've heard it's not a bad bar though so, all I can suggest is that you call MR or Maritime or maybe the marina wharf manager on the number above and get their advice if you're considering going in there.

Rick

At this point it's a matter of making it safe and comfortable to get from here to Adelaide. There will be an abandonment of the roller boom reefing as soon as I have a chance to get at least one of the mainsails adjusted by the local sailmaker. I don't have any qualms about motor sailing with the trisail and one of the smaller jibs up, to complete the delivery. I've stress tested Yiayia and I've also given her long runs at a more typical cruising setting, and I've found her up to the job so far. The last long run I gave her she ran very sweetly at around 2300 to 2500 revs, used hardly any oil, and used around a litre an hour of fuel at around 4 knots.

Having said that, I do expect to find more unexpected issues arising. Arawana's not young. She was bought at a bottom of the market price. I've accepted that there have been and will continue to be costs to bring her up to scratch, and that there is risk involved in sailing her home.

So, no food photo of dinner, but it was good. Country butcher minced beef as the base for a fettuccine bolognese. I may follow it up tomorrow with a fettuccine jerky. What could possibly go wrong with that?

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

She's a good solid boat with a good rig. You're taking a prudent and conservative approach to a trip that few would even attempt and very few would attempt at this time of year. I think it's great and I'm very confident you won't have breakages at this point. As far as jerky bolognese goes, well, I'm less confident about that ......

Rick

The plan to get from here to Eden is firming up. I've got enough data points now to correct the planning speed to 4.5 knots. As I go further out of the EA Current zone 4.5 may prove to be too optimistic again, so all plans at this stage need flexibility in aiming points and ETA.

leaving Jervis Bay on Saturday at first light, planning to arrive at Twofold Bay around midday Sunday. Distance total around 136 NM, an elapsed time of 30 hours. Fuel required 30 litres plus contingency, so a full tank plus a jerry.

Drop out harbours Bateman's Bay and Bermagui.

Expecting beam to broad reach, in light to moderate wind strengths.

Paperback E-book

Sounds like a plan Bruce, but you might get in before a late Sunday breakfast I reckon.

Looks like a good plan to me!

I just looked at Meteye, the local forecast bit of the BOM. Moruya and Eden have light winds extending right through the weekend and including Monday. That's pretty good news for you if it's accurate. The BOM weather charts though show strong W wind coming through on Sunday night, which makes me wonder about the Meteye forecast. Early days but it'll be interesting to see how it all shapes up. My guess is that the Meteye forecast will be pretty close but I'd be planning based on the stronger forecast, as you are. And, of course, it's all a bit different a few miles out anyway!

You'll see a lot of albatrosses!

Rick

We've had quite a blast through here the last couple of days. Presumably that's moving east, although maybe it goes down to Tassie or something. I've been following Lisa Blair Sails the World, a crazy woman who reckons she can reverse climate change by sailing a racing sled around the world. She's on the way from South Africa to Australia at the moment. She's had some fairly tough weather to deal with!

The weather map at this time of year always reminds me of the old maps of the world where they had dragons at the edge of the world. The Southern Ocean is just a line/ring of massive storms. She's a brave soul!

Rick

I was in Bermagui in a solid southerly swell a few weeks back and the bar was fine. Entrance is narrow but the soundings of 2.1 look accurate. Marina is good.

I've heard that before and it's good to hear. There's a Youtube I've seen of waves breaking across the bar - I wonder what conditions they had then?

2.1? I hope that's fathoms!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I was in Bermagui in a solid southerly swell a few weeks back and the bar was fine. Entrance is narrow but the soundings of 2.1 look accurate. Marina is good.
    Thanks Chris, always good to get recent first hand info.

The fly in the ointment of my plan for the rest of the trip to Eden is likely to be the swell conditions. It may well be that I'll need to get off the Tasman into a sheltered harbour along the way. I almost never get sea sickness, however I've discovered a limit I didn't know I had, earlier on.

I've bookmarked several dropout points just in case, otherwise it will likely be 30 hours of motor sailing in light wind in big swells.

Paperback E-book

I just looked at the NSW Maritime webcam of Bermagui. Glassy water, dead flat. Site says there's a 3m swell but that very unlikely. I'll have a look each day anyway Bruce and report all findings!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I just looked at the NSW Maritime webcam of Bermagui. Glassy water, dead flat. Site says there's a 3m swell but that very unlikely. I'll have a look each day anyway Bruce and report all findings!

Rick
    Thanks!

Paperback E-book

Today's lunch is a variation on a theme, but no Paganini. Avocado, salt, pepper, fresh lime juice, and Vita Wheat biscuits. Pecan pie tartlets. A cup of Bickfords Ginger Beer Cordial with fresh lime juice. $8.

Paperback E-book

... and lunch looks like this

Paperback E-book

I was just talking to a friend who did a delivery of a boat with roller reefing, and all the usual problems with it. As a short-term solution (partial), they sprayed the sail with a friction reducer called Sail Coat or something like that. It allows a tighter wrap and somehow facilitated a slightly better shape than the usual mess. Not a solution at all for you Bruce but interesting nevertheless, I think.

Blowy here now.

Rick

How’s that new stove going Bruce?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    How’s that new stove going Bruce?
    Terrific, meets all expectations.

Paperback E-book

I saw the turtle again today. Definitely a turtle, not a seal.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    ... and lunch looks like this

what is this, Master Chef?
    you do eat well.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Turtles are always nice to see - except once, I was adding fuel to the tank on my 3.8 Markham Whaler in the bay at South West Rocks.... in about 5 metres of water... concentrating on not spilling petrol, and a big Leatherhead turtle went straight under my boat. He was the same width as the boat, across the flippers. I near soiled my trousers... thought it was a whale or something.... just this huge, moving shape. He popped his head up, not far away. His head was double the size of a human's. Amazing sight.

Meanwhile.... here's Bermagui. I had a bit to do with getting some infrastructure improvements there a couple of years back.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Looks like it could use a dredge.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Turtles are always nice to see - except once, I was adding fuel to the tank on my 3.8 Markham Whaler in the bay at South West Rocks.... in about 5 metres of water... concentrating on not spilling petrol, and a big Leatherhead turtle went straight under my boat. He was the same width as the boat, across the flippers. I near soiled my trousers... thought it was a whale or something.... just this huge, moving shape. He popped his head up, not far away. His head was double the size of a human's. Amazing sight.

Meanwhile.... here's Bermagui. I had a bit to do with getting some infrastructure improvements there a couple of years back.

Where would a visitor go looking for a temp berth in there? It's changed quite a lot.

Paperback E-book

OK for JIM, nothing deeper, well it looks shallow but perhaps I'm mistaken?
    Grateful Dead

Here's the Youtube. Swell doesn't look very big to me

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...6C22&FORM=VIRE

Rick

Well that looks exciting. Easterly swell running?

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Looks like it could use a dredge.
    Funny you should mention that....
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Arawana's first beef-jerky-bolognese sauce is on the slow cook setting. It might turn out fine, who knows...

Paperback E-book

Here's hoping .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    what is this, Master Chef?
    you do eat well.
    My Galley Rules

It will be a disaster! Don't do it!

Rick

But the weather's really shaping up nicely for you Bruce, as long as you're well enough after tonight's fare to take advantage. The weather looks great for your trip to Eden, arriving on Sunday, then it goes SW while you have a good rest and visit to Eden's little maritime museum on Monday, then Tuesday looks like it'll bring northerlies for your trip to Refuge Bay/Cove whatever it is. Swell will be up but it's a SW swell so it shouldn't bother you too much once you're round the corner and should mean that you'll be able to duck into Lakes Entrance if you need a break.

Nearly a week away so very likely to change but looking good for you at this stage!

Rick