Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2341353 ... LastLast

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Well done, Frankk! Great shakedown leg. It's very good to hear of your success.

What they said! New stuffing maybe in the stuffing box. A big leak around a chainplate sounds a bit, er, worrisome. But maybe its not.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    There is a slower and more worrying leak at the propeller shaft gland in the engine box. It's not that slow, like a tap that has only partially been shut off. I still haven't figured out why the electric bilge pumps aren't working.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    did you end up getting some grease into it?

Bilge pumps may be as simple as a stuck float switch that needs a bit of a jiggle and maybe a tickle with some lanoline. I can’t remember if Ken had the bilge pumps direct wired to the batteries with the float switch as well as a manual switch (which is what I’m thinking is the case) or if, for some reason, there is another manual switch that shuts them off completely.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    What they said! New stuffing maybe in the stuffing box. A big leak around a chainplate sounds a bit, er, worrisome. But maybe its not.
    Time to buy a tube of Sikaflex !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    did you end up getting some grease into it?

Bilge pumps may be as simple as a stuck float switch that needs a bit of a jiggle and maybe a tickle with some lanoline. I can’t remember if Ken had the bilge pumps direct wired to the batteries with the float switch as well as a manual switch (which is what I’m thinking is the case) or if, for some reason, there is another manual switch that shuts them off completely.
    No, ran out of time. Poor excuse but all I've got.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

No, ran out of time. Poor excuse but all I've got.

No excuses necessary Bruce, it’s all really just a case of getting to the know the boat and what she needs as you use her. I’m not sure that the grease alone will resolve your leak as I don’t know your stern gland makeup, but also check to see if there’s a gland nut to tighten the gland packing up to reduce the drip. No need to stop it completely as some water is usually need to keep it cool - depending on the type.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Here's a quick summary of the leg.

It was planned to be a 'one day' leg, to see what's what regarding the capability of the boat and to get a feel for the 64 year old me and how I'll cope.

Route plan Seaway to Yamba measures 98 NM, for a planned duration of 19.5 hours at 5 knots. It took 23 hours, pretty respectable.

A key lesson from the leg is the ease by which self steering can be put together, for points of sail from on the nose to beam reach and wind strengths 5 knots to 20.

Here's one I prepared earlier.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

‘just found this site - I haven’t read it but it looks like it might help to see if one of the types discussed matches your stern gland type:
    http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com...ernglands.aspx
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

‘just found this site - I haven’t read it but it looks like it might help to see if one of the types discussed matches your stern gland type:
    http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com...ernglands.aspx
    Available from your nearest pump or rural supplies shop.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Good to hear your shakedown cruise was successful.
    If you are unable to find what you need in Yamba The fishermans Co'op in Maclean has a better range of marine goods than most on the GC at very competitive prices. In Yamba affordable fish and chips at fishermans Co'op and for a treat tie up at the Yamba Shores Tavern and stay a night or two for free.
    Whhile out sailing do you wear a harness,life jacket or both?

Great photo Bruce - keep them coming
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Nice that she steers herself easily.

The PSS seal from Greg's great link, were popular in the States at the time the boat was built. I've never had a problem with them, but they still scare the heck out of me. If you have one, it's just a matter of ensuring the boot is properly applying pressure to the rings/flanges.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Good to hear your shakedown cruise was successful.
    If you are unable to find what you need in Yamba The fishermans Co'op in Maclean has a better range of marine goods than most on the GC at very competitive prices. In Yamba affordable fish and chips at fishermans Co'op and for a treat tie up at the Yamba Shores Tavern and stay a night or two for free.
    Whhile out sailing do you wear a harness,life jacket or both?
    I wear a life jacket most of the time I'm in the cockpit or on deck, and a harness most of the time I'm doing sail and halyard handling.

Paperback E-book

First job of the morning.

Paperback E-book

I'll be interested to see what you make with those click together plastic things. Hope you have a great day relaxing, recuperating, taking stock, preparing to repair and planning the next leg. Must be good to be underway, despite the wee drama.

Bruce, what's your deck made of?

I'm assuming you're going to need to make some little cover plates to seal your chainplate exit points through the deck. This involves using SS plate or Tufnol sheet to make rectangular plates with a slot cut in them to fit the chainplate fairly closely. The underneath of the slot is chamfered so that as the plate is fastened down, the sealant is captured and forms an o-ring. The sealant is Sika or mastic.

I'm pretty hopeless at managing the stuffing box. I'm always frightened that if I overtighten it, I'll overheat it and cause damage. Consequently, I tend to leave it too loose so it drips. I have a grease gun attached to it so that I top it up with grease after any use of the engine and that helps a lot but if I had room for a sealed system I'd jump at it.

The weather here is crap - heavy rain, windy, very sloppy sea. You've done well to get that first leg over in the good weather. As long as you wait for good weather, you can do there to Eden via here, of course, in day hops now if you wish.

Rick

What grease do I use in the stuffing box?

There no of the day is the worst of the deck leaks. Nothing seems to have leaked in on the stb side, subject to checking, similarly on port side there is one obvious culprit.

Saturday and Sunday look good for a fast offshore reach south. I'll watch the weather develop. It may turn into many smaller hops, but we'll watch and see.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 10-03-2017 at 07:24 AM.
    Paperback E-book

Breakfast. It's good to be the king.

Paperback E-book

What grease do I use in the studying box?

There no of the day is the worst of the deck leaks. Nothing seems to have leaked in on the stb side, subject to checking, similarly on port side there is one obvious culprit.

Saturday an Sunday look good for a fast offshore reach south. I'll watch the weather develop. It may turn into many smaller hops, but we'll watch and see.

See how the forecast holds but as it stands, they're predicting 3m swell all weekend so you might not want to cross the bar in that. Lots of rain too

Grease is just ordinary marine grease. Your stuffing box ought to have a grease nipple or something like that attached to it already. The grease seals the seal but if you have water pouring in, obviously you'll need more than grease at this point. Stuffing comes in different sizes but is available at any marine supply shop. If you plan to replace the stuffing on the water, make sure your pumps are working well and you have some sort of shaft torniquet in case it all goes parliamentary. Tighten the stuffing up enough so that the leaking stops but not so tight that the shaft and box heat up when you motor around the Clarence upsetting the pelicans. You'll need to adjust it after you motor around. If it's dripping, tighten it a bit more. If the stuffing box is hot, loosen it a bit. Remember that this advice is from someone who's not very good at it. Pump a bit of grease into it after any use of the engine - just half a squeeze or so of the grease gun. In any case, it'll drip a bit unless it's too tight. You might be able to keep a little plastic tray under it to stop the drips running under the engine, into the bilge etc.

Rick

OK, I'm back in touch wit Ken. He's due back from his holiday up north so I'm mining him for information again. The stuffing box grease mechanism is awesome. There is a permanent copper line running fwd to a reservoir, and you just turn the lid down on it. The drips are only at annoying stage at The moment and if I can figure out the bilge pumps it will be a done deal until I get home.

Only one identified leak in the deck and it as a cover plate in place. I'll get some 5200 or similar and hop into that later on after morning tiffin.

Paperback E-book

I've found two new hide holes and Ken has hinted at a third. This came out of one of them.

I give in. I've been out hoboed.

Paperback E-book

OK, I'm back in touch wit Ken. He's due back from his holiday up north so I'm mining him for information again. The stuffing box grease mechanism is awesome. There is a permanent copper line running fwd to a reservoir, and you just turn the lid down on it. The drips are only at annoying stage at The moment and if I can figure out the bilge pumps it will be a done deal until I get home.

Only one identified leak in the deck and it as a cover plate in place. I'll get some 5200 or similar and hop into that later on after morning tiffin.

That's a good setup. I'd still tighten up the stuffing, if I were you. You don't need to remove it. There are probably two studs with locking nuts sticking out of the box. Loosen the locking nuts then just tighten up the lower nuts a turn or three, and tighten up the locking nuts. See how that goes.

Masina has the screw down reservoir setup too. I screw it down about one turn after each time I use the engine.

Rick

Sounds like it may be this arrangement from that link that I added yesterday Bruce:

and with the gland nut tightened over the packing

If you haven’t already, it’s worth reading that article as it describes that screw down grease cap/reservoir arrangement and how to tighten up the stern gland nut etc - though Rick has pretty much nailed it anyway.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I wouldn't use 5200 on that leak Bruce. It sounds like that chainplate has to come out at some time. I'd use something less permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I wouldn't use 5200 on that leak Bruce. It sounds like that chainplate has to come out at some time. I'd use something less permanent.
    The chainplates should be all good so 3m 5200 good to use - rigging and chainplates were checked just recently and the standing rigging and a couple of the chainplates replaced.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Jobs of the day.

1. Deck leak

Paperback E-book

2. Stuffing box

Paperback E-book

3. Bilge pump

Paperback E-book

Is that glass over a laid timber deck? If so I hope that's the only leaking area. I'm not trying to be alarmist again but...is that boat really ready for the planned voyage? What else more serious might emerge when you hit rougher conditions. Maybe think again about laying up in warm Yamba and get it right before proceeding? Even fly home for a few weeks' R&R and a renewed perspective? It's now beanie weather in Adels so why rush it?

Quote Originally Posted by Asap View Post
    Is that glass over a laid timber deck? If so I hope that's the only leaking area. I'm not trying to be alarmist again but...is that boat really ready for the planned voyage? What else more serious might emerge when you hit rougher conditions. Maybe think again about laying up in warm Yamba and get it right before proceeding? Even fly home for a few weeks' R&R and a renewed perspective? It's now beanie weather in Adels so why rush it?
    You're one smart comment away from my ignore list.

Paperback E-book

Sounds like it may be this arrangement from that link that I added yesterday Bruce:

and with the gland nut tightened over the packing

If you haven’t already, it’s worth reading that article as it describes that screw down grease cap/reservoir arrangement and how to tighten up the stern gland nut etc - though Rick has pretty much nailed it anyway.
    Pretty sure that's the one. I'll do some reading.

Paperback E-book

Job 1 completed, pending tests after the sealant goes off.

The correct* answer, by the way, was Fix tech ft15, which for some reason was spared in my culling of the truck loads of gear that were on board. I was going to get some 5200 but fate spared me the bother.

Paperback E-book

*Correct: a selection made arbitrarily by me.

Paperback E-book

If you do need new packing for the stuffing box, you may need a tool to get the old packing out. Its like a corkscrew, but smaller. a stiff wire screw think which you use to hook the old stuff out. Top shelf stuffing is impregnated with teflon or something and then you dont need the drip drip thing. I did mine on my big steel boat up in PNG. You may also need a special gland nut spanner to get at the gland nut. Theres a fair chance there would have been one on the boat and you might have taken it off, not knbowing what it was. Usually a home made jobby, a couple of parallel chunks of 10mm steel, with a couple of cross pieces on one side, or even a bit of channel, just the right size to slip over the nut.