Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1524252635 ... LastLast

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Good plan

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Are you on the wharf, or the pick?
    Currently on a public mooring up at Laurieton, opposite the services club. Close to fisho wharf.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

That looks like good place to spend the night.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I wouldn't tie my shrouds to my pulpit except maybe at anchor. Where the forestay goes would be better. Or is there a good strong bitts or cleat or something up there? If there are any outstanding reliability issues with engine or electrics I'd be planning small hops through large windows.

I’m guessing this is probably where Bruce was referring to:

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

That would work.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Currently on a public mooring up at Laurieton, opposite the services club. Close to fisho wharf.

The jetty in front of the Services club is free if available and all you need to do is get a key for the showers from the club.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    The jetty in front of the Services club is free if available and all you need to do is get a key for the showers from the club.
    I'm right opposite that jetty, just waiting to see if one of the yachts already there moves on. I'll go up to the club shortly. Boy do I need a shower!

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I got a key for the shower, but haven't been under it yet. Walked a million km, rang the fabricators,best deals were I buy 4 metres of 316, they make the parts for 150 a pair, they keep the 316 left over, can look at starting in 2 weeks, or a temp set mild steel to get me home with cold galv all over, 100 all up, delivered this arvo. The temp set won.

I got a new alternator belt for $10. They only had one in but may have another before I leave.

I relented on being gentle on Yiayia and bought a can of Start Ya Barsket.

I found the launderette and nearly died at their prices. It would be cheaper to replace the lot from Coles and the op shop than wash the dirties. Hoping to find a middle ground there.

Bought some chicken r/soles for dinner.

Got rid of 2 weeks of rubbish.

Emptied the Herreshoff Bucket!!!

That's it so far. Laurieton is a fantastic place to visit. I'll do some food shopping tomorrow and see if Yiayia doesn't blow up. I will probably do a clean of the air filter element first, or at least look to see if there is anything of it left to clean.

Oh yes, it's raining, and I'm catching water from the hobo verandah. Life ain't bad.

Paperback E-book

I'll go back to the butcher tomorrow and see if I left the r/soles on the counter. Packaged curry tonight is a good second choice.

Paperback E-book

Chicken arxholes. Tough times. Those mild steel plates sound like a good decision.

I'll give you the 316 when you get to Sydney, if my kids haven't thrown it away. I had plenty of thick stuff. I don't have any argon at present so unless you want rod welding....
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I'll go back to the butcher tomorrow and see if I left the r/soles on the counter. Packaged curry tonight is a good second choice.

We had a mechanical engineer at work, who had previously designed fish processing equipment, which of course involved long periods in fish factories. He was adamant that fish fingers were made from sea lice and fish *holes.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I'll give you the 316 when you get to Sydney, if my kids haven't thrown it away. I had plenty of thick stuff. I don't have any argon at present so unless you want rod welding....
    Awesome! That will be a big help.

Paperback E-book

The vee belt has been installed. Got the Gates brand part number. Sort of tempted to start her up and re tension so I can make a quick getaway if necessary, but I can't think of any excuses as to why I'd have to cut and run, and there are close neighbours ashore who might not be delighted in galley language.

Paperback E-book

A squirt of start ya bastard and she'll fire right up, sweet as.

$150 for two bits of SS with holes drilled in them and the ends rounded off? Even with polishing, you're looking at about an hour's work.

Anyway, the mild steel ones will get you home. Set them in flexible goop where they go through the deck. No silicone!!

Monday and Tuesday looking like a very good window for your next leg.

Rick

Tuesday-Wednesday if the bar there's too rough.

Rick

Busy day again tomorrow.

Install the temp chainplates and covers. Have a closer look at the rear lowers and work up from there.

Shower!!!

Run Yiayia and re tension the vee belt.

Food shopping.

Try to get onto the jetty ahead of the mob who arrived today.

Go find my chicken r/soles.

Go for an exploratory noon ride in the zodiac.

That's enough.

Paperback E-book

Hoon ride.

Paperback E-book

How about some photos of where you are and what’s around you Bruce?? I know the weather is a bit iffy but all we saw of Yamba was food and, as nice as it was, it could have been anywhere........There are a lot of people here who’ve never seen this coast and where you are stopping......just a thought...... ( I’ve never been to Laurieton).
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

What the heck, it's just after 7:00pm, nobody cares about starting a diesel at this time.

Holy Cheeses of Switzerland. Talk about performing as advertised. The shortest puff of SYB and whacko! Yiayia's doing a Zorba dance like a Greek girl out on the dance floor. Whacko! I'm hoping that I can minimise the collateral damage to the donk by spinning the donk up with the valve lifter open, and by only using a dead minimum of SYB.

If nothing else it has to be less stressful on the battery.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    How about some photos of where you are and what’s around you Bruce?? I know the weather is a bit iffy but all we saw of Yamba was food and, as nice as it was, it could have been anywhere........There are a lot of people here who’ve never seen this coast and where you are stopping......just a thought...... ( I’ve never been to Laurieton).
    Not much to see really.

Paperback E-book

Since you probably have had a shower and more rain forecast for tomorrow it might be a suitable day to check out the art decko Plaza movie theatre just a couple blocks from you on Bold St.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Since you probably have had a shower and more rain forecast for tomorrow it might be a suitable day to check out the art decko Plaza movie theatre just a couple blocks from you on Bold St.
    Great idea. Actually I haven't had that shower yet, but I can do that on the way to sight seeing.

Paperback E-book

Sorry not more photos, but I've run out of data on the phone and everything I post now is expensive.

Paperback E-book

You might try some of that Wynns stop smoke stuff. I think it just makes the oil a whole lot thicker. It might reduce your oil consumption and also help with the starting.

You might try some of that Wynns stop smoke stuff. I think it just makes the oil a whole lot thicker. It might reduce your oil consumption and also help with the starting.
    It looks like the oil consumption is only excessive during long spells of flat out motoring. I don't have enough data to be sure, but the last passage on a more conservative throttle didn't seem to gulp it down. It is too smokey though.

Paperback E-book

Did I tell you about the amazing humpback whale traffic jam situation? If so, ignore this post.

I was coming down the coast towards Camden Haven, fairly early in the morning, and there were groups of whales all over the place. Near to Camden Haven there was a group that seemed larger than others, maybe seven or eight whales, fairly close to me. We were going to pass by each other in opposite directions, and three of them veered off at speed across my path. They were coming further out of the water and I could see their heads as they came right towards me from my port side. I had to steer hard port then shut the engine revs down to idle to avoid their track, and sure enough as I sat there they came galumphing past, very close, and seemed to smile in a 'gotcha' kind of attitude. It seemed to be a game with them. Me, I was shart scared I was going to get cleaned up by one of them.

I've never before seen the traffic do bad that I've had to give way to a bunch of hoon driver whales.

Paperback E-book

probably adolescent P platers

Very cool, apart from the fear factor., Were you passing port to port?

Very cool, apart from the fear factor., Were you passing port to port?
    Until the hoon whales veered in front of me, yes. All very civilised. Then whoosh! and blow me down the break-away group turned left, right in front of me, and sped up and laughed as I veered to avoid a contretemps.

It was good to get a very close up eye-to-eye look at them. They seemed to know exactly what they were up to, the humpty backed scallywags.

Paperback E-book

Practice.

Rick

I made up for losing the chicken r/soles this morning. A fisherman was cleaning his catch at the jetty, and was good and kind enough to sling me a fillet of just-caught Taylor. Don't yet know what Taylor are like but I'll give it a whirl.

Paperback E-book

Missed out on getting onto the jetty. Last lot left before sun rise and the mob queuing up behind me were tied up while I was snoring. Bloody big boat called Inca. Not room for me to get on in front of them in this wind and current. Bugga.

Paperback E-book

I made up for losing the chicken r/soles this morning. A fisherman was cleaning his catch at the jetty, and was good and kind enough to sling me a fillet of just-caught Taylor. Don't yet know what Taylor are like but I'll give it a whirl.

I love tailor. A fishy fish. Highly regarded in the US where they call them bluefish but rarely rated as a table fish here. Has to be bled as soon as it's caught. Some say it's best fresh but I find it's best the next day. No wind here.

Rick