Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

I had similar issues with MR on my trip North and evaluating my last East Coast sail just setting of from Tweed heading South was far more relaxing by not checking in with them.
    The MR have many very dedicated people in their orginazation Unfortunatley 9 out of ten have no idea what is involved in single handing a small SV.
    Since you are probably steering toward Cape Byron at this time try to stay closer to the shore once you round it in order to hopefully catch some Westerlies tomorrow morning.

You've got close to two knots of current in your favour for a while Bruce!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    You've got close to two knots of current in your favour for a while Bruce!

Rick
    How far offshore to catch it? I'm hugging the coast a bit.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Vicariously enjoying the ride. Let us know if you run into any scantily clad swimmers as you did in your book.

I saw some naked dolphins, and totally nude whales breaching about 300 metres from Arawana. I don't know why I shouted 'WOW' because I was the only one here and I already knew it was a 'WOW' moment.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I have just passed the eastern most point of mainland Australia. Cuppa tea time!

Paperback E-book

As the sun peeps up over the clouds in the East Arawana and I are just about abeam of Evans Head. Almost all of the sailing has been done Look MA No Hands and this worked remarkably well until the wind spewed and gusted abruptly.
    I'm hoping to be at or near Iluka for lunch, depending on the state of the bar.

In the meantime, breakfast!

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    As the sun peeps up over the clouds in the East Arawana and I are just about abeam of Evans Head. Almost all of the sailing has been done Look MA No Hands and this worked remarkably well until the wind spewed and gusted abruptly.
    I'm hoping to be at or near Iluka for lunch, depending on the state of the bar.

In the meantime, breakfast!

Fantastic! Sounds like you’ve had a pretty good first night at sea .......??? ‘been thinking of you most of the night and wondering how you’re going.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Just off the headlands.

Looking good Bruce!!

Rick

So, adjust your course just slightly to the west. Well done! Camden Haven is a nice fishing town, and I understand it has one of the safest bars around. Can't remember quite where it is, somewhere around there. How did you go for sleep? And how is the cook behaving, I hear he can get a bit rowdy at times?

First thread I checked this morning, going well by the sound of it.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Not all tea and crumpets at the moment. Bilge overflowing. Twin electric pumps not switching on. Manual pump only sucks when the boat is level. Not frantic, just concerned.

Paperback E-book

That sucks.

More seriously, don't be shy of calling the rescue guys. They will have a fast boat with a big pump, better to make the call sooner rather than later. No good having them fish you out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    More seriously, don't be shy of calling the rescue guys. They will have a fast boat with a big pump, better to make the call sooner rather than later. No good having them fish you out of the water.
    That would be seriously annoying ! Good Luck .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Has to be a skin fitting. Close all ball valves except the engine in and out. Could be a bilge pump siphoning. Run the engine to maintain power.

Rick

Just got a txt from Bruce. Seems like the source was a deck leak, now sailing more upright and seems to have stabilised.

Yeah, a least I hope so. Yiayia is running flat out to top up the batteries and get us to i
    iluka. Motoesailing on a broad reach in 18 knots. Fast little sucker.

I bucketed out some of the bilge water and it doesn't seem to be filling again. Deck leak is a sure thing. Stern gland a high likelihood as well.

I may have to advise VMR before I attempt the bar. Arriving at slack water, full low tide, West wind blowing.

Paperback E-book

Glad to hear that's stabilised.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Good luck! I have to go do an excavator job, can't bear the suspense!

I found the best East Coast current between 5-20 miles out it is easy to determine if you have the ability to check water temperatures. Once you sail past Port Macquarie it is even more important to stay a little further out since you will have a cold water Tassie counter current sneaking north close to the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Just got a txt from Bruce. Seems like the source was a deck leak, now sailing more upright and seems to have stabilised.
    Yeah, a least I hope so. Yiayia is running flat out to top up the batteries and get us to i

I bucketed out some of the bilge water and it doesn't seem to be filling again. Deck leak is a sure thing. Stern gland a high likelihood as well.

I may have to advise VMR before I attempt the bar. Arriving at slack water, full low tide, West wind blowing.

Whew ! I'm glad that's under control!
    Grateful Dead

It changes through the year Tom.

Glad to hear it's only a deck leak Bruce! But it must be quite a leak!

Swell is down but Yamba Bar is not a good bar at low tide. If you can hang off for a few hours you probably should. But, of course, you can see it while I can't. It is a shallow bar. I would certainly get local MR advice, at least.

Rick

I'm pretty sure that I have aerial photos of all the main (and some minor) bars - but not on this 'puter, unfortunately. I'll see if I can find them over at the other house, later today. Obviously, conditions change... but the aerial photos are great for perspective.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Grateful Dead

NOTE: - this is a file photo. Not a conditions photo. Just to give perspective.

They will give you are bar status but will most likely not advise on whether it is safe to cross for you...litigation fears.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

So, low tide was at 11.21 Hope all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Has to be a skin fitting. Close all ball valves except the engine in and out. Could be a bilge pump siphoning. Run the engine to maintain power.

Rick
    Bruce if possible check to see if it is the bilge pump by checking what side the outlet is on and if outlets are on one side only tack boat to see if similar problem occurs on opposite tack,it will save you a lot of grief.
    W B had a similar problem with bilge pump running flat out when heeled hard on a Starboard tack.I since installed a siphon break on the 35 mm outlet. Great to hear you have some wind.

yippee-kai-aaaaayyyeee mother friendly public places.

I motored up towards Iluka and dropped the sails, and started to tidy Arawana, and while that was happening I called up vmr, and asked in a faux-nonchalente voice what they recon about crossing the bar.

Paperback E-book

Do tell us more....

It sounds like VMR have tried to create a rescue job for themselves and, fortunately, failed.....Bruce has a tail to tell but I suspect he’ll be sleeping for a few hours.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Good plan.

The vmr description of the bar was, pretty calm, no big deal, come in whenever, the swelling isn't too bad. Probably looked that way to others, but in the tiller seat of Arawana it was white knuckle stuff. Yiayia the Yanmar was cranking it out at full bore, and the swells were surfable, even in Arawana. One momentary loss of concentration would be a certain broach, possibly a roll-over.

It kept me awake long enough to go buy a fish and chip lunch, and it lives up to its reputation. Mulloway as chips. Sounds plain enough. Superb.

On further investigation there are indeed at least two leaks. The port side deck has a hole at a chainplate and water pours into it. There is a slower and more worrying leak at the propeller shaft gland in the engine box. It's not that slow, like a tap that has only partially been shut off. I still haven't figured out why the electric bilge pumps aren't working.

Paperback E-book

Inside is a better place for a close inspection Frankk, I'm glad you're in there .
    Grateful Dead