Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Forecast for this week has already eased a lot. Still pretty much southerly until late in the week but it looks like the swell will be quite a bit smaller for your planned departure date Bruce. Ms T says we'll have to get you to cook for us when you get here ......

Rick

Going to be a regular Masterchef hangout with Ms T and Bruce wielding spoons, your very lucky. Your place is a regular little half way house ( in Bruce's case about 1/8) for displaced yachties isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Forecast for this week has already eased a lot. Still pretty much southerly until late in the week but it looks like the swell will be quite a bit smaller for your planned departure date Bruce. Ms T says we'll have to get you to cook for us when you get here ......

Rick
    Happy to.

Does it look feasible to leave Wednesday high tide during the day, or is that too early do you think? I'd be happy to motor into it for a good while and push some diesel cleaner through everything, as I did leaving Seaway, and pick up a changing wind as it comes through.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Looks like the wind will be swinging around more to the N-NW early next week. Fingers crossed it doesn't.
    I'm thinking that Bruce wouldn't mind that too much.

When you get to the Big Smoke, Bruce, we'll see if we can't organise some sort of feast for you - even if you don't want to head inland, away from the boat. The princess is a cook of unequaled magnitude in my experience - although, I'm on the BBQ tonight. Kangaroo fillets.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I'm thinking that Bruce wouldn't mind that too much.

When you get to the Big Smoke, Bruce, we'll see if we can't organise some sort of feast for you - even if you don't want to head inland, away from the boat. The princess is a cook of unequaled magnitude in my experience - although, I'm on the BBQ tonight. Kangaroo fillets.
    I'm quite partial to too fillets.

Not sure about opportunities to tether the boat in the harbour though. I was told yesterday to forget even looking. Any hints?

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Roo. Bluddy autopilot.

Paperback E-book

It looks like there'll be moderate S winds on Wednesday and into Thurs so that would have you beating into 15+ all day and night at least. I wouldn't plan to do it. The swell remains fairly significant until Friday too. Friday through to Sunday look really good for you, lightish wind and falling swell. It's changing quite a bit though so maybe it'll all ease more, but I'd plan to depart Thursday, if I were you Bruce, depending on swell on that bar. I can't see that from here. I'll keep looking at the weather and let you know what I think they're saying it'll do. I'll also look to see what's coming around the corner on Monday and so on.

Rick

I'm afraid the name escapes me just now but when I sailed Balia down we found a lovely old style boatyard with a few short term moorings available at a reasonable price. I think cruising boats do tend to get away with breaking the rules and anchoring in one of the bay's somewhere too. It would be good if I could remember a name I suppose

I don't know how they can stop you anchoring. I've anchored in Farm Cove - IIRC it was two nights... for the Olympics closing ceremony... and in one of the bays in Pittwater on the way down to that. The chances of tying up alongside are a bit more remote... but maybe someone on SA knows. I think one of the Americans has been in town for a while on his boat.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    Going to be a regular Masterchef hangout with Ms T and Bruce wielding spoons, your very lucky. Your place is a regular little half way house ( in Bruce's case about 1/8) for displaced yachties isn't it
    He's going to have to earn it. We've had this Atomic coffee gadget for years and never really worked out how to drive it or what to put in it. As Bruce is a proper coffee-wright, I'm hoping he'll prescribe a remedy to this sad situation.

Rick

There's no problem anchoring in Sydney Harbour. The problem is that you're not allowed to leave the boat while it's anchored. People do, of course. Pittwater has a lot of public moorings but a lot of them are in places where there's only bush nearby rather than cafes etc.

I have a friend who's a member of the RSYS and he seems to know everyone on the harbour so if you do want to go to Sydney, there'll certainly be options. I'd recommend it - Sydney Harbour is nice in winter and always spectacular, in its way. If you want to do some exploring, Pittwater and the Hawkesbury are great for that.

Rick

He's going to have to earn it. We've had this Atomic coffee gadget for years and never really worked out how to drive it or what to put in it. As Bruce is a proper coffee-wright, I'm hoping he'll prescribe a remedy to this sad situation.

Rick
    I'll even bring my own coffee!

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I'll even bring my own coffee!

Now, when you say you "own" coffee.... the princess has her own plantation. She doesn't know how much it produces, but, it's there... and when we visit later this year, I intend to have a chat to her mother about it. She gives all the output from the plantation to her mother, so I guess if I want some, or all, of the output, I'll be buying it back.... but hey... I might even have to design up a label.

Now, when you say you "own" coffee.... the princess has her own plantation. She doesn't know how much it produces, but, it's there... and when we visit later this year, I intend to have a chat to her mother about it. She gives all the output from the plantation to her mother, so I guess if I want some, or all, of the output, I'll be buying it back.... but hey... I might even have to design up a label.
    I bought mine somewhere in Qld. Where does Princess have a plantation? Stories I have to hear.

Paperback E-book

I bought mine somewhere in Qld. Where does Princess have a plantation? Stories I have to hear.

South Sumatra. Oh there's stories... but only over an ale, or three

South Sumatra. Oh there's stories... but only over an ale, or three
    I'm due for an ale.

Paperback E-book

By crikey I've been clever tonight. Yesterday I bought a big round ball of a solar light fitting, the type you fix to a wall or gutter, and last night it lit up the cockpit with a beaut party light ambience. Tonight it's cold and gloomy outside and muggy inside, so I brought the big white ball of happiness inside the cabin. What a great idea that was!

So, inspired by the light from my big white ball, I altered a pair of trousers I bought at the op shop the other day. I bought three pairs, all of which fit nicely, except one pair was too long. Not any more! I located Arawana's sewing kit and got to work. Snip snip snip. Pin pin pin. Sew sew sew. And like magic they fit! I did an inspirational job of stitching up the hems. So good, in fact, that I did them with white thread so you can see all the details. On black trousers. It looks very hobo-pirate-yachty, and I'm confident that by summer all the local youths will be wearing this new, bold nautically themed fashion.

You heard it here first.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm afraid the name escapes me just now but when I sailed Balia down we found a lovely old style boatyard with a few short term moorings available at a reasonable price. I think cruising boats do tend to get away with breaking the rules and anchoring in one of the bay's somewhere too. It would be good if I could remember a name I suppose

I think it was one of the two Birchgrove marinas. Around near iron cove bridge - they do have short term moorings.

However, though the harbour is nice it's also very busy, and unless you go up under Spit Bridge it's highly unlikely you'll get a good nights sleep - constant movement. Pittwater is a more relaxing anchorage with great bays with public moorings and safe anchorages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Pittwater is a more relaxing anchorage with great bays with public moorings and safe anchorages.
    +1 sunday afternoon at The Newport very cool. Plus Barrenjoey Marine Electrics just around the corner

Quote. I'm due for an ale.

Then this.....

By crikey I've been clever tonight. Yesterday I bought a big round ball of a solar light fitting, the type you fix to a wall or gutter, and last night it lit up the cockpit with a beaut party light ambience. Tonight it's cold and gloomy outside and muggy inside, so I brought the big white ball of happiness inside the cabin. What a great idea that was!

So, inspired by the light from my big white ball, I altered a pair of trousers I bought at the op shop the other day. I bought three pairs, all of which fit nicely, except one pair was too long. Not any more! I located Arawana's sewing kit and got to work. Snip snip snip. Pin pin pin. Sew sew sew. And like magic they fit! I did an inspirational job of stitching up the hems. So good, in fact, that I did them with white thread so you can see all the details. On black trousers. It looks very hobo-pirate-yachty, and I'm confident that by summer all the local youths will be wearing this new, bold nautically themed fashion.

You heard it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    I think it was one of the two Birchgrove marinas. Around near iron cove bridge - they do have short term moorings.

However, though the harbour is nice it's also very busy, and unless you go up under Spit Bridge it's highly unlikely you'll get a good nights sleep - constant movement. Pittwater is a more relaxing anchorage with great bays with public moorings and safe anchorages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think you are right, and I agree, Sydney Harbour is a bit of a mad house.

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    +1 sunday afternoon at The Newport very cool. Plus Barrenjoey Marine Electrics just around the corner
    My last Sunday afternoon visit to The Newport scored me a $10k cheque from my insurance company (although I still need to fix the roof and secure a new bonnet and bootlid for the M5). We spotted a BIG hailstorm whilst sitting back in the beer garden. All 4 of the family's cars got done by it... probably $20k all up.

Definitely worth you visiting though, Bruce.

I'm fairly sure that we dropped the pick in The Basin, back in 2000.... although not very far in, as it was dark when we got there. I remember we copped a bit of rolling from passing traffic, but not too bad.

Bruce - I see two books in your future, with one being a master chefs guide to cooking gourmet meals on a hobo cat food tin stove (or whatever it is). That will be a world wide success.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I now have a new fuel filter and a spare! Thank you Repco Iluka/Yamba.

So, doing more reading, and looking more carefully, I have come to the conclusion that there is an issue with Arawana's exhaust system. There is a smallish kink in a soft pipe, and I'm now thinking that the back pressure is contributing to it being slow to start, and to some of the white smoke she loves to blow up my nose, especially while warming up.

Comments please.

Paperback E-book

What's the hose with a kink Bruce, exhaust? If you got some metal scraps and wire could you splint the hose straight? Or cut a small bit off one end so it lays straighter. Might have wire reinforcing inside hose which can be a bugger to cut off square though.
    White smoke? I think that can mean water getting into combustion chamber. Head gasket, no obvious signs of leaking around head area? How's the engine oil, no water? Do you have a temp gauge or alarm on engine so if it gets to the point of overheating you have a bit of warning. Certainly would explain hard starting.
    I second Gregs idea - a one pot cookery book

while we're on engines have you had a look at all hoses, fan belt, impeller etc
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 06-19-2017 at 08:02 PM.

No leaks and no water in oil. I wouldn't know a good fanbelt from a crook one. Hoses look OK.

The kink is a fair way downstream in the exhaust line. I'd like to rain to stop for a while so I can work head down in the lazarette in some sort of comfort.

Paperback E-book

Tomorrow is my last day at the marina. I've paid up a weekly fee, very reasonable at $240. Several yachts are talking about leaving Thursday. We'll see what the bar says. I'll go wait on the pick in the Iluka basin.

Paperback E-book

If you loosen belt and bend it inside out and theres no cracks in rubber and theres a bit of meat on it then your probably ok. While you have it loose see if Repco has a new one, fit that then keep oldy for a spare. To loosen belt you usually slack off bolts on alternator then move alt towards engine and it'll come off. Rough tension gauge is about 1/2" of slack, pushing on longest run of belt from one pulley to next. Ill go back and have a look at Gregs pic to see which bolts.

Bit hard to tell from this distance but it looks like there are two bolts holding alternator at about 10 and 4 o'clock positions, then just to left of 10 o'clock one there appears to be an adjuster mechanism. TRy slacking this and if no luck then slack off 10 & 4 bolts a little so the alternator can move on pivots. Just check that what i think is an adjuster is not something else that shouldn't be f&^% with. IF you hold both runs of belt in one hand tightly, then adjust you should feel it.
    Either run of belt will do to test slack cos you only have two pulleys about 1/2" of slack with a firm press on belt.

I wont tell you about beautiful sunny 15 degree days we're getting. About two weeks worth so far

Just had a look on YouTube, you only have to loosen 10 & 4 bolts then alternator should move maybe with a block of wood for gentle persuasion.
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 06-19-2017 at 09:47 PM.

A kink in the exhaust hose is generally a bad thing. But I reckon unlikely to be the cause of hard starting. It will create excess back pressure, but that's more when the engine is running at higher revs, and has more exhaust gas to push out. When it's just starting it should fire up unaffected by any exhaust restriction short of a total blockage. Old age and slightly low compression will cause hard starting.

It was a false alarm anyway. No kink, just a slight flattening but not enough to really change the cross sectional area.

Paperback E-book

Sometimes a lightly tightened hose clip in the area that has a slight flattening will encourage the hose to remain round.

Have you tried giving the engine an 'Italian tune' - full revs under load for say 10 minutes ( just check your marina lines are secure). Diesels like to be worked hard. Hold a bucket under the exhaust outlet , should be about 1-2 buckets of water per minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    Sometimes a lightly tightened hose clip in the area that has a slight flattening will encourage the hose to remain round.

Have you tried giving the engine an 'Italian tune' - full revs under load for say 10 minutes ( just check your marina lines are secure). Diesels like to be worked hard. Hold a bucket under the exhaust outlet , should be about 1-2 buckets of water per minute.
    Thanks Neil, no I haven't done that yet.

Paperback E-book

White smoke whilst warming up is most likely to be low compression... meaning the engine wants a rebuild.

My 4-53 Detroits on Grantala would fill The Gut (near Brooklyn) up with white smoke when I started them from cold, back in 2000. They'd had their prior rebuilds in 1968. Since the rebuilds in 2001, no smoke. Done when the Aussie dollar was at it's lowest ... somewhere near or below 50c, IIRC. Cost me a small fortune to rebuild them.

The trick to starting the Detroits when they're a bit knackered is to spray in some WD-40 through the aircleaner whilst starting. I can't say if that'd work on your engine.... but it might be worth asking someone who knows about yours.

There's no problem anchoring in Sydney Harbour. The problem is that you're not allowed to leave the boat while it's anchored.
    Rick
    I've heard that, but where is it written?

White smoke whilst warming up is most likely to be low compression... meaning the engine wants a rebuild.

My 4-53 Detroits on Grantala would fill The Gut (near Brooklyn) up with white smoke when I started them from cold, back in 2000. They'd had their prior rebuilds in 1968. Since the rebuilds in 2001, no smoke. Done when the Aussie dollar was at it's lowest ... somewhere near or below 50c, IIRC. Cost me a small fortune to rebuild them.

The trick to starting the Detroits when they're a bit knackered is to spray in some WD-40 through the aircleaner whilst starting. I can't say if that'd work on your engine.... but it might be worth asking someone who knows about yours.
    Propane might have worked too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead