Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696105106
Results 3,676 to 3,704 of 3704

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

  1. #3676
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Plastic Fabrications in Hobart could make a pretty neat custom HDPE pram dinghy. I bet the price would be eye watering, but it would be tough as nails. Possibly cheaper to have a custom aluminium dinghy made.

    But for a good combination of lightweight hull and cost effectiveness its very hard to go past S&G plywood dinghies.

  2. #3677
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26,796

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    Plastic Fabrications in Hobart could make a pretty neat custom HDPE pram dinghy. I bet the price would be eye watering, but it would be tough as nails. Possibly cheaper to have a custom aluminium dinghy made.

    But for a good combination of lightweight hull and cost effectiveness its very hard to go past S&G plywood dinghies.
    I built a S&G tender for about $200 I think it was.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  3. #3678
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I have to ignore my own judgement, and share my thoughts on how I am intending to proceed with experimenting with a vane-to-tiller system. I need to articulate my thoughts, both to help clarify them in my mind, and to try to get enough interest here to get the great power of the interweb hive-mind applied to the proposal.

    I've decided to try to make a working version of a vane to tiller self-steering system. Belcher has good info. Others have built working examples, see below, yet Belcher states the limitations, as does the maker of the Aristo system, i.e. that it works for small boats with light helms and well balanced sail setup, and not very well in light winds.

    What I haven't seen so far, and I may well have missed, is a well designed vane blade, designed to maximise the available wind forces, and if possible augment them by applying wing technology. The Aristo system 2017 version has air dams on the training edges of the vane blade, but they seem crudely designed and applied.

    There is a wealth of information about wing design, including airfoil shapes for low speed airfoils, light wing
    structure construction, airfoil controls and other things.

    My proposl is to build a simple vane support mechanism to attach to the pushpit of a sailing boat, in this case Arawana, supporting a symetrical airfoil vane blade, and using a gravity-activated gurney flap to augment the lift forces on the blade.

    The vane will be made up of a number of cedar airfoil secions, shaped to NACA 0012 symetrical airfoil shape. The airfoil shapes will be mounted at 100mm spacings onto two tubular spars of lightweight material. Expanded foam, hot-wire cut to profile, will by used to infil between the airfoil shapes. The airfoil will be covered in a plastic film, possibly mylar.

    At the trailing edge of the vane a pivoting flat blade will be mounted, for the whole span of the vane. A conterweight at each end of the vane, top and bottom, will swing under gravitational forces, to place a gurney flap of 2% to 4% of wing chord (to be determined by experiment) into the pressure side of the wing profile of the vane.

    References:
    Bill Belcher, Wind-Vane Self-Steering

    Gurney Flap
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurney_flap

    Aristo Timone a Vento http://www.aristotimone.it/

    Seems to me that this is more complex than something like a belcher servo pendulum unit. Or perhaps OGT attached to a small well balanced auxilary rudder. My old fleming major worked well on my folkboat, and it worked ok with the rudder locked and the servo rudder completely steering the boat. It is surprising how small a rudder will work if the boat is reasonably well balanced by the main rudder and sails beforehand. At any rate the first step to both is an OGT vane of some sort. Maybe you need the rest of Belchers book where he goes through all the theory?

  4. #3679
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    7,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    Seems to me that this is more complex than something like a belcher servo pendulum unit. Or perhaps OGT attached to a small well balanced auxilary rudder. My old fleming major worked well on my folkboat, and it worked ok with the rudder locked and the servo rudder completely steering the boat. It is surprising how small a rudder will work if the boat is reasonably well balanced by the main rudder and sails beforehand. At any rate the first step to both is an OGT vane of some sort. Maybe you need the rest of Belchers book where he goes through all the theory?


    Not sure how you come to the conclusion that my proposal is more complex than a servo pendulum system. An OGT is a much simplified system compared to any of the rudder assist versions, as you obviously know. Swapping in an airfoil shaped blade in an OGT in lieu of a flat blade is a pretty small investment in effort to get a more efficient blade shape, I think, and as Belcher showed an OGT, even with a flat sheet vane, works on many small boats and almost works on many more.

    No doubt the Fleming worked well for you but I think you've missed my point, which is to simplify, reduce parts list, reduce weight hanging off the stern, reduce handling effort in heavy weather, reduce drag, increase efficiency. I'll hold for now that I should go read up again on the theory and I hope that when I have something physical to show, you and I will see whether I've achieved a relatively simple OGT system that works, or just complicated it. sorry if that sounds tetchy but I don't think I misunderstand the theory well, apart from the gurney flaps which may or may not work at the relatively low air speeds of a self steering wind vane.

    For my part, I accept that it's experimental and there's no guarantee it will work, and as you say if it doesn't at least I'll be half way to building a servo pendulum or aux rudder system anyway and nothing will be scrap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  5. #3680
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26,796

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    Seems to me that this is more complex than something like a belcher servo pendulum unit. Or perhaps OGT attached to a small well balanced auxilary rudder. My old fleming major worked well on my folkboat, and it worked ok with the rudder locked and the servo rudder completely steering the boat. It is surprising how small a rudder will work if the boat is reasonably well balanced by the main rudder and sails beforehand. At any rate the first step to both is an OGT vane of some sort. Maybe you need the rest of Belchers book where he goes through all the theory?
    That is the same design as the QME (?) I have...presently stored under the shed.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  6. #3681
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    That is the same design as the QME (?) I have...presently stored under the shed.
    Yep, More or less the same design. The Belcher OGT has a few refinements but it works in the same way. A big horizonal axis vane direct to tiller.

  7. #3682
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Not sure how you come to the conclusion that my proposal is more complex than a servo pendulum system. An OGT is a much simplified system compared to any of the rudder assist versions, as you obviously know. Swapping in an airfoil shaped blade in an OGT in lieu of a flat blade is a pretty small investment in effort to get a more efficient blade shape, I think, and as Belcher showed an OGT, even with a flat sheet vane, works on many small boats and almost works on many more.

    For my part, I accept that it's experimental and there's no guarantee it will work, and as you say if it doesn't at least I'll be half way to building a servo pendulum or aux rudder system anyway and nothing will be scrap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was a bit hasty and misinterpreted your concept, sorry. It seems, rereading belchers theory section that their may be a fair bit of benefit to having an airfoil section with gurney flap, maybe 30-50% more lift on some wind angles. Prehaps the same as increasing the height of a flat plywood vane by 15-20% or so.

    I will be very interested to hear how it goes. A reefable top section would be a good addition, or prehaps the gurney flap could be locked in line to depower it in stronger winds. And a big mylon extension added for lighter airs. Or maybe its simplerjust to have a few interchangable airvanes.

  8. #3683
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    7,827

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    I was a bit hasty and misinterpreted your concept, sorry. It seems, rereading belchers theory section that their may be a fair bit of benefit to having an airfoil section with gurney flap, maybe 30-50% more lift on some wind angles. Prehaps the same as increasing the height of a flat plywood vane by 15-20% or so.

    I will be very interested to hear how it goes. A reefable top section would be a good addition, or prehaps the gurney flap could be locked in line to depower it in stronger winds. And a big mylon extension added for lighter airs. Or maybe its simplerjust to have a few interchangable airvanes.
    I suspect that I'll end up making a set of different sized vanes in an effort to try to make it work, so interchangeable vanes would likely be a natural product of pilot projecting it. I was thinking about that issue last night and I don't know that there's an easier workable way to reef the thing... that's supposing that it does work in practice. A quick release system should be reasonably easy to jigger up. I'd be happy to hear all suggestions on that. I suspect that a smallish vane would cover most conditions from beam reach to hard beat. Anything closer to a run would be another set of input conditions, and that's really the issue with sheet to tiller as well.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  9. #3684
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,989

    Default

    I understand the physics of a servo pendulum. In fact I think it is brilliant. But vane to tiller? I don't really have the faith.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #3685
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    7,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I understand the physics of a servo pendulum. In fact I think it is brilliant. But vane to tiller? I don't really have the faith.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    That's the thing about physics; it doesn't work based on the strength of someone's faith, otherwise I'd skip the design stage and go to church this week.

    You can see short clips of a couple of different versions of these in action on YouTube.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  11. #3686
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,989

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Yeah but that's just facts.

  12. #3687
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,989

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    I saw the clip you attached in a post above. Showed a happy dog on its owners lap while the boat presumably held course for about 2 minutes. Probably in ideal conditions. Seems to me the tilting of the vane can move the end of the tiller about 2 inches in either direction. That will maybe be useful,for some boats in a really small range of conditions. OK, I hope you prove me wrong, but my settled understanding is that vane to tiller never really worked, and for good and obvious reasons.

  13. #3688
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    7,827

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I saw the clip you attached in a post above. Showed a happy dog on its owners lap while the boat presumably held course for about 2 minutes. Probably in ideal conditions. Seems to me the tilting of the vane can move the end of the tiller about 2 inches in either direction. That will maybe be useful,for some boats in a really small range of conditions. OK, I hope you prove me wrong, but my settled understanding is that vane to tiller never really worked, and for good and obvious reasons.
    I'm not going to do your homework for you, but if you're interested enough to post that vane to tiller never really worked you should look at the several clips from the same 'Aristo' guy on youtube, plus another user with a working system that looks like a Belcher OGT but with a tiny fabric vane. You should also read Belcher where he gives a list of boats of various sizes that the OGT system worked on, and his reasons why they worked on those boats and why they didn't/wouldn't on other boats.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  14. #3689
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,989

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    No I'm going to stick with my ignorance until I see your system working. Then I'll be in awe. I know youve done your homework, so I'm sure there must be good examples of the system working well. It's like those questions such as is Junk rig better? People who love junk rig will swear blind that it's the best rig ever, does great on all points of sail and is simplicity itself. And will have books and videos to back them up. And sheet to tiller steering. And special magnets which save fuel and make your car go faster, while doubling your engine life. And electric hydraulic regenerating power systems on yachts. I just won't believe it until I see it. I dont know why I'm being all negative and trying to take the wind out of your sails. I think it's a great idea to have a go at building a simple and lightweight system. Best of luck.

  15. #3690
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    7,827

    Default

    OK. Well thanks anyway for aligning me with all those other thing, especially the fuel magnets, but if you read my posts you'll see that I'm not actually advocating for anything, I do allow for OGT not working on Arawana and have a way or two forward in that outcome.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  16. #3691
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,989

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana


  17. #3692
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,989

    Default

    Bruce I have some spare stainless tube if you want it? It's some old seat frames removed from a bus one of my kids used as a bedroom for a while so it has various potentially useful bends and some angle sections. The tube might be a bit light. But that might be what you want. If it's not too light. Anyway welcome to it if you want.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #3693
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    7,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Bruce I have some spare stainless tube if you want it? It's some old seat frames removed from a bus one of my kids used as a bedroom for a while so it has various potentially useful bends and some angle sections. The tube might be a bit light. But that might be what you want. If it's not too light. Anyway welcome to it if you want.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Yes please it will be very handy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  19. #3694
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,989

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    I'll try to remember to bring some down, Sheila will the thrilled I'm sure. I know Felicity always loves it when I bring useful things home.

  20. #3695
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26,796

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Bruce I’ve come across plans for stitch and tape pram style tender. PM me your email address and I’ll send you the PDF, same goes for anyone else. These are free plans, no laws being broken...um that may not be true having read through them. I know I downloaded them for free.
    Last edited by WX; 04-25-2018 at 04:01 AM.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  21. #3696
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,689

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'll try to remember to bring some down, Sheila will the thrilled I'm sure. I know Felicity always loves it when I bring useful things home.
    That doesn't really happen much around here.

    Rick

  22. #3697
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    7,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Bruce I’ve come across plans for stitch and tape pram style tender. PM me your email address and I’ll send you the PDF, same goes for anyone else. These are free plans, no laws being broken.


    PM sent. Thanks heaps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  23. #3698
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    7,827

    Default Voyages of Arawana

    A bit of mental turmoil happening here at the moment. I've made some decisions I've regretted and maybe I'll jump in and make even more, however, the situation is at this point:

    Self steering. The wind vane I bought is too big for Arawana's stern. I decided to sell it on and make a vane-to-tiller system. I've decided that I should have considered what was actually wrong with the one I bought, and having done a bit of that, it doesn't look that much of a bother to alter it. I'm now on a path to measure it up against the boat again with the idea of changing the mounting bracket and some of the workings, to retain the engineered works as much as practical, and see if it can be made lighter, more compact, and able to be mounted a fair bit closer up to the transom. I'll see if I can get my DIY fix by doing a micro version for Romana.

    Tender. I've had a look at several boats and I keep rejecting them on the basis of them not measuring up to John Welsford's "Tender Behind". It dawned on me tonight that that was what I was doing. Hence I've just ordered a set of those plans from John's site. As much as I don't want or need another build project I probably won't be satisfied with anything else. If you want to see why read the design brief:
    www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/tenderbehind/index.htm

    Boat photography. I bought a cheap drone a little while ago to see whether I'd get fun out of using it for boat photography. Had I had something like it during the delivery of Arawana to Adelaide I think the experience I shared with all here would have been far more exciting, frightening, enlightening and educational. In my enthusiasm for the drone I flew it out over the waves one time too many. Matt is now building me a 'proper' drone with a good camera and I'll be using it to help document the Voyages of Arawana.

    WBF. I'm aware that not all WBF participants are supportive of me using this forum to 'show and tell' about a frozen snot boat. That's understandable. I know others here do like the thread, but it's a bit arrogant of me to continue to use this forum for these stories. I'm going to wind back the input here. I'll share news on the Antipodean thread, and I'm planning to use a more appropriate vehicle for presenting future major voyages, for example the 2000 NM round Tassie and return voyage planned to start around the end of this year. I've negotiated to use an Aussie based sailing web presence to host a live blog, with my usual verbiage and photos, and I hope to have a good set of videos to follow, however with a plan that big there's no guarantee I'll get through it. I'll share more about that as preprations do or don't progress.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 04-25-2018 at 06:54 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  24. #3699
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,689

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    I'm very pleased to hear that there'll be more boat news on the Antipodean thread! Don't you DARE keep us in the dark!!!!!!

    Rick

  25. #3700
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Ditto , what Rick said. We can only withstand a plethora of puns for so long !
    Good move to lighten the Navik clone and the Tender Behind is a real multum in parvo.

  26. #3701
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,689

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Mind you, I'm not sure that we really want the Antipodean thread to be all about Bruce's tender behind. You'll have to harden up or get better seats.

    I also think it's a smart move to fix up the vane you have. Travelling with an almost `set and forget' vane is really fantastic - a sort of reliable friend that just keeps doing its thing, all day, all night, and so quietly and smoothly. A zen thing.

    Rick

  27. #3702
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,989

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Unless someone has been sending nasty PM,s I haven't noticed any objection to you using this forum to post about Arawana's adventures. She has more teak bright work than most timber boats. I like catching up with your trials and tribulations here, and might miss your adventures if you only publish on deckee. Just guessing there btw. So although it's of no importance at all, my preference would be that you keep going on this thread. If you are chasing a broader audience, maybe more free wine, then another platform might work for you. Good luck with the wind vane, but from my glance at it, it will still be uuuuuge whatever you do with it. Maybe you can chronicle your dinghy build here if you really feel a need to up the purity a bit? Glad you didnt have a drone for the delivery voyage, it was quite scary enough as it was thank you very much. And finally, have no regrets, nothing at all wrong with changing course every now and then. Do what you feel is right and if what feels right changes, do what feels right next time. And again. That's what life is for.

  28. #3703
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    828

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Unless someone has been sending nasty PM,s I haven't noticed any objection to you using this forum to post about Arawana's adventures........
    What Phil said x 2.
    i havent seen any objections, but im not the most frequent visitor. No am i any good at puns.
    However, i do value and enjoy your posts on this thread and others. Arawana is a boat just like any of ours and has most of the same issues so your learning experience is useful to all of us.
    If some nitwit is complaining about a GRP boat being discussed on WBF, then theyre the one with a problem. F*** 'em i say.
    I'd be sorry to see this thread stop.

  29. #3704
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    7,827

    Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    What Phil said x 2.

    If some nitwit is complaining about a GRP boat being discussed on WBF, then theyre the one with a problem
    It's more than just discussing a GRP boat on WBF, it's a whole thread dedicated to it.

    It's time to draw the curtains.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •