Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 35393102103
Results 3,571 to 3,581 of 3581

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

The crews on the AC cats wear helmets. They look like climbing helmets to me.

Rick

Here's my video of prototyping the rubber band powered self steering on Arawana. There's a description on YouTube of how it works. Happy to get more photos of components later on if anyone is interested.

Sent from a phone.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 02-12-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

That looks very smooth - i gave you a
    Looking at the constant movement i can understand how battery powered self-steering could become a heavy current draw on a battery system.

Here are the components of the rubber band powered sheet-to-tiller system as of today, ready for the next trial.

I'll separate the photos into different posts for clarity.

The first set is the tiller lashing. It consists of:

1. a length of 2mm Spectra with a loop on one end to go over the free headsail sheet cleat, and a small sheaveless block;

2. a caribeener or snap shackle; and

3. a number of rubber bands made of 4mm surgical grade tube.

Sent from a phone.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 02-14-2018 at 02:26 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The sheet-to-tiller line.

1. a 4mm spectra line loop that goes over the free headsail winch, and a small single roller block;

2. a length of 2mm Spectra line that runs in the small block. The Spectra has a loop in one end to go over the end of the tiller, a sheaveless block, and a snap shackle on the other end to capture the middle of the length of the headsail sheet between the last deck block and the sheet cleat. In this system the sails are set using the winch and cleat, then the winch is taken out of the picture leaving the sheet to run directly back to the cleat.

Sent from a phone.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 02-14-2018 at 02:28 AM.
    Paperback E-book

The sheaveless blocks. These are designed to take webbing and lines. Using 2mm Spectra and rigging it as a jamming block it seems to work OK, subject to more testing.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Bruce I've got just the book here for your trolling. "RYA Fishing afloat".
    Very detailed explanations "The cruising boaters complete guide".
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Bruce I've got just the book here for your trolling. "RYA Fishing afloat".
    Very detailed explanations "The cruising boaters complete guide".
    Rob J.
    Sounds good. We had a paravane and lure out for around 10 of the 13 hours we were out when the latest videos were made. From too slow - 2 knots, to ideal - 3.5 to 4 knots, to too fast for the vane at 7 knots, and we never had a slightest nibble on either of the lures we tried.
    Paperback E-book

Well , this book is a Pommy book , but still very good , with detailed explanations.
    7 knots you could try a tuna lure , but what if you caught one !!.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Well , this book is a Pommy book , but still very good , with detailed explanations.
    7 knots you could try a tuna lure , but what if you caught one !!.
    Rob J.
    Ya know, I've never really considered what I'd do if I caught one. It seems such a remote possibility I've never given it much thought. Smaller fish I'd just reel them in and chuck them in a bucket while I got sorted, then clean and cook later. But a tuna, well I'd be lost for how to land it, let alone deal with a flapping death fish in my small cockpit. The bloke down the street has a big stink boat with huge outboards on the back and he goes out and actually catches fish. It all seems like an alien experience to me. Good on him, I say, although he has never offered me a taste of what he catches. But for the gallons and gallons of fuel he uses he deserves at least something for his trouble.

I'll see if I can get a copy of that book, just for a laugh.
    Paperback E-book

Yes , its something to consider , what to do with a big bugger.
    Or squid , they can be fun too.
    It used to be good with Leckie on board , he would still be screeching around under sail , and have the squid cleaned up in a couple of minutes.