Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 44849394
Results 3,256 to 3,261 of 3261

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

The external system seems fine on Masina. But really, a couple of reefing lines running inside the boom - no different to halyards in a mast. Hard to see how that could get you into too much trouble.

David's Halberg Rassy has a Selden boom with a whole lot of lines running through it from a series of blocks at the end of the boom. It's pretty complicated but I've never known it to cause any trouble. I'm always teasing David because he always says he likes a simple boat. but he has a boat with every system under the sun and a lot of those play up! But the boom setup seems great and has never given him any trouble as far as I know.

I think I'd just look at where I wanted everything on the boom and then decide. If you have a whole lot of possible sticking points inside where the reefing lines run or where they could lay when slack, then internal wouldn't be good. But Phil's point is a really important one - if you set it up so that lines can hang down, then they will, and that's not a risk you ought to live with. Typical internal obstacles would be other lines, lazy jack fittings, winch fastenings, cleat fastenings, mainsheet block fastenings, vang fastenings.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Just leting you know that when I took my mainsail to the sailmaker he and the other bloke that works in the loft were struggling with a boom with internal lines. Both end caps were off, the boom was tilted to give some assistance to the lines they were trying to feed back into the internal pulley/block system. Both were sweating and swearing profusely. The internal line system had run amock in use and the owner had sent it to the pros because he had trouble fixing it himself. When we discussed my new boom setup we agreed to run the reefing lines external.
    That's why I set up the outhaul system the way I did. The whole lot can be pulled out easily and then easily put back. It's foolish to think such things will never need maintenance.

Rick

I got a hardware quote for the new boom setup. It's within expectation and it all sounds brain-mashingly good. I've asked for a variation to the proposed layout to make it even simpler and subject to that, the work should be happening as soon as the bits arrive.

All is good here in paradise.

Sent from my super secure secret squirrel device
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I'm setting up a new boom and gaff today too, for a Mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I'm setting up a new boom and gaff today too, for a Mirror.
    Are you going to sail it too? Pictures would be good

Sent from my super secure secret squirrel device
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Ssounds good Bruce.