Page 100 of 106 FirstFirst ... 509099100101 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,500 of 3704

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Molten gold

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

New boat cover news.

The prototype cover is still on the boat despite wind. It is now without spreader poles as the recycled 'found' bendy tent poles destroyed themselves in the wind. The old piece of polytarp is still intact and is now over the boom with no spreaders.

Today I braved a trip to Spotlight. My advice: don't do it unless you are female. I had a laugh with a woman behind the counter when the ordeal was over and she described her trips to Bunnos as being an equivalent. Anyway, back on topic, I now have some taupe coloured waterproof canvas material to make the main piece of the boat cover out of. I'll see if I can get some 13mm or 15mm PVC conduit/water pipe during the week for the spreaders.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Bruce, not sure of the length of these so whether they’d be suitable for your cover - and they’re a bit pricey for the task as they are, but they may be worth making an offer of $100.00?? Easier to store than PVC tube, durable and probably easier to fit than PBC tube

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/torq...jib/1171148433

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

They're nice Greg and the bendiness vs strength ratio would be perfect, but probably a bit pricey for this job. If I get commissioned to do a cover for a gin palace and get a good budget to do it though, that sort of thing would be ideal. The small dia upvc pipe is very inexpensive and does seem the right look and feel for this job. I'll post photos when it's all assembled.
    Paperback E-book

I used pvc conduit for covers and it collapsed very quickly. You can put dowel in it but the aluminium ones or glass ones will do a much better job. Just buying a length of aluminium tube might be better.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I used pvc conduit for covers and it collapsed very quickly. You can put dowel in it but the aluminium ones or glass ones will do a much better job. Just buying a length of aluminium tube might be better.

Rick
    What sort and size Rick?

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

No no no .......

1" plastic water pipe!

Its curved (good) - surprised how well that worked out. ...

Will post some pics. ...

Didn mean 3x same...

The light blue sides tie up

Originally top-grade Oregon battens (straight ) lay flat a ross the boom - about neck height - fine for sitting nose on knees eating breakfast at ankle height. ......

I first tried willow branches - the long thin ones - poked in the pockets overlapping the tips - fine but dried and went brittle.

Then tried conduit - various sizes - when bent would kick straight like a mule .

Now have leftover watermains plastic pipe - TOUGH! - for the center section and slotin legs of either waterpipe or conduit

Will try more pics

Bent has raised tent to standing (!) headroom

Bent seems to help rather than hinder handling and stowage.

These plastic pipes are so tough - but not too flexible - ie not floppy
    Last edited by Frank!; 01-13-2018 at 04:34 AM.

20180113_194556.jpg

You can see the sidepoles with garden string guys - great stuff.

But you can't see the garden string (great elastic stuff! ) thru the poles holding them but allowing stowage.

deleted duplicate
    Last edited by Frank!; 01-13-2018 at 04:32 AM.

We used 25 mm PVC water pipe on Vulcan in PNG and it was great. Lasted for years there and back in Adelaide. About 14 foot lengths, across the boom and tied down to the fence at the ends.

Yep, used essentially straight - I was trying to bend it in a great bow - and I had various segments to slot on - so the springiness was hard to manage on the water where I couldn't run around 'outside' to retrieve 'bits'

Mainly I would think Aly tube too likely to kink - or to heavy if not liable ....

I used 25mm conduit from Bunnings. Maybe there are different qualities of this stuff but what I used was hopeless. I'd ask your sailmaker what he'd charge for battens.

Frank's probably talking about that white, thick pipe. It does seem stronger although heavy.

Rick

Maybe conduit is weaker than water pipe. Maybe it was just Chinese crap. Who can say?

It would be good if you could identify whether you used upvc or pvc. upvc (unplasticised pvc) is much less bendy, and will bend to a point then kink permanently, however if you want straight poles and spreaders it's thegood stuff. Then you need to identify whether you're talking about high pressure water pipe or low pressure or conduit, because the wall thickness varies. I'm afraid "I went to Bunnos and picked up some 1 inch pvc pipe" doesn't begin to tell the story. Hopefully I'll have something to report this week coming.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 01-13-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    Paperback E-book

It's all happening. Semi-something seams. Something something hems. whacko.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Seams done. Semi-felled.

Now I have a single piece of canvas 2 metres x 4.3 metres.

Now to do rolled pocket hems on the short ends.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

I went to the hardware shop in Pt Moresby and bought pvc pipe. It would be upvc water pipe. I didn’t build any rockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a wrap.

The sewing part is done. I'll bang in some eyelets after dinner and take it to the boat for a trial fit.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

What's the nifty looking thing it's sitting on?

It's a gridded cardboard cutting board that gets laid over the dining room table. Ya can't cut with a knife on it, just scissors.

Anyway, we went to the boat. It's long enough, and it goes around the mast, but it could still be wider - except I've pretty much finished now. Two more eyelets to put in tomorrow. In the pic below the little bit of scrap material with the plastic ruler on it is the only little bit left over.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Very efficient. Happy Birthday!

And impressive! Birthday? Have a happy one!

Rick

Some dimensional info for a T28 owner

Old mainsail luff = 8100 approx foot = 3450 approx

Orig boom length 3850

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

The boom gooseneck fitting attaches to a slide on the mast. The slide bottom is 550mm above the mast base and the top is 850mm above the base.

You can't see the slide in this photo of the mast base.

Sent from a phone.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 01-25-2018 at 11:45 PM.
    Paperback E-book

I've sewn up a cushion cover for the vee berth infill piece. It needs a cushion foam insert which I may be able to make at the Thursday art group I volunteer at. Not sure.

More photos on board later. The infill board and cushion are removable and only put in place at bed time. Hopefully this makes sense to those who have seen the boat.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

There's foam and there's foam. You want reasonably firm foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    There's foam and there's foam. You want reasonably firm foam.
    Definitely.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

First try out of the vee berth infill arrangement. I've stuffed a spare pillow into the cover just for want of anything better at this stage.

At home in Birkenhead/Port Adelaide at the free Queen's Wharf floating docks. Three consecutive nights free, so here until Saturday afternoon.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Progress towards comfort !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Progress towards comfort !
    It's surprising how much more comfortable the extra shoulder and head room makes it.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Bruce, nice work on the vee berth cushion cover .
    Cut the foam ( preferably 'memory foam') a fraction oversize.Then use a plastic bag and the vacuum cleaner suction to shrink it and put it into the cover .

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    Bruce, nice work on the vee berth cushion cover .
    Cut the foam ( preferably 'memory foam') a fraction oversize.Then use a plastic bag and the vacuum cleaner suction to shrink it and put it into the cover .
    Thanks Neil. Good tip about getting the foam in. A pillow was enough of a struggle.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book