Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142324

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Wind is going to go S-SW but there won't be much of it. There might be some gusts on Wednesday so rig conservatively. Thursday evening has potential for a big blow so please make sure you're in port somewhere for that.

Sweet Rick - my mother called me that, as a joke. No one else ever has and it's highly likely no one else ever will.

Rick

Happy trails Bruce you will find Trial Bay less rolly than Coffs.

Should you need to enter the Maclay River you might give Chris on SV Harmless a call he is a great guy and may still be living aboard or on his property nearby.

Might be anchoring after dawn ...

I've been across the bar into the Macleay. Pretty easy in a small outboard, but can be interesting at times. I've also sailed in Trial Bay when a southerly came through. It was bloody rough in there... not what I'd call a particularly nice place to be anchored in a blow.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Wind is going to go S-SW but there won't be much of it. There might be some gusts on Wednesday so rig conservatively. Thursday evening has potential for a big blow so please make sure you're in port somewhere for that.

Sweet Rick - my mother called me that, as a joke. No one else ever has and it's highly likely no one else ever will.

Rick
    Ah Sweet Rick but we know now don't we? Said giving your little cheek a squeeze.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Possibly a bit late now but regarding mild steel chain plates, look for a place that can epoxy coat and spray with a two pack polyurethane. My mast cap is done that way and four years later is still looking like new.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    And the moon is just setting.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    Oh good. Wouldn't want pesky moonlight to show the way. Just reading a blog by a coup,e sailing up the east coast. They stopped a night at trial bay and found it very rolly. The boat they were in company with chose to go into the river. Touched bottom, broached and took a wave aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Sorry to spring this on you all. I just needed some quality time alone with Arawana, no bashing through slops, and away from the sloppy water at Coffs. My plans to anchor at Trial Bay a little bit before the wind turns south. Currently Doug around 5-6 at 2000 rpm with no 2 assisting Yiayia. Fingers crossed we get the timing right

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    Interesting decision - but all the best mate, wishing you an uneventful trip and a pleasant anchorage before sunset.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Well just trickling along by oneself at night in a light breeze and a low sea watching the sun come up is one of life's pleasant things. High tide is mid morning and the southerly isn't due till late am so all's needed is the jib and a good alarm clock to make sure the watch doesn't fall asleep.

Trial Bay should be very pleasant. There's very little swell now and won't be much until it kicks up on Thursday night. Macleay entrance is very shallow and shifty. I wouldn't contemplate taking a yacht in there. It's still be draining all the rain we've had, too.

Stay in touch Bruce. I won't be able to go out to meet you as I have both batteries out of Masina this week, but I'll certainly meet you ashore etc. and help with arranging a mooring or marina berth, assuming you're coming over to Lemon Tree for my coffee-making lesson at least.

Rick

Fuxache, I like that. #774 reads like a ready made preface to Frank Fatt Sails Again.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

There's a mob in South West Rocks who could knock you up some new chainplates. They make boat trailers, etc... but, hell's bells... I could knock 'em up out of scrap stainless that I moved around my backyard on the weekend. I've got "sufficient" supplies of it.

Try giving the trailer mob a call in the morning

tel://0414666417
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Fuxache, I like that. #774 reads like a ready made preface to Frank Fatt Sails Again.

Pete
    Me too and it suits my stutter.

When Bruce gets here, I'm pre-ordering several copies of the new book.

Bruce will be the second published author to visit us here with his boat. The first was John Little. Like Bruce's work, John's books are personal, moving and beautifully drafted. John has written several books but we particularly enjoyed Jem, the story of John's son who died in Iraq. I'd recommend it to all, as I'd recommend Drift, if there's anyone here who hasn't read it!

Rick