Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4383929394 LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,255 of 3261

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

A unit of time is always shorter than the equivalent unit of time required to perform what is generally viewed as a simple job.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I think Gary has the profound pretty well nailed. My own experience is that time is elastic, it's index of elasticity being exponentially or inversely proportional with the urgency of completion or the anxiety of waiting for the completion, as the case may be, of the matter at hand.

And yes Bruce, your Einsteinian hair arrangement may well mean that your hair roots are reaching down and stimulating hitherto dormant brain cells. My hair on the other hand just gets shorter and thinner.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 10-18-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    How long is a thread?

Rick
    Or more to the point, a piece of rubber tube?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    A unit of time is always shorter than the equivalent unit of time required to perform what is generally viewed as a simple job.
    Generally known as "a couple of days / daze".
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I've effectively cured my profound insights by having all of my hair cut off. At least, there is a coincidental loss of mental capability since my hair cut. Can't say I'm too cut up at being dumb again. The long hair was giving my the irrits.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I was shaken out of a black dog slump today by Graeme King who came round to drag me out of bed and do some boat stuff. All power to GK.

The mainsail is now with the sailmaker to have two reefing points added. While at the sailmaker's loft I saw a Selden boom and a very big mainsail being worked on. The slide fittings on the boom look like they, or a scaled down version of them, will do the job for reefing attachment points on my new boom section. They are a slide and loop fitting. I'm going to see if I can just buy them over the counter from the sailmaker. They will also do the job for the outhaul, topping lift and tack, I think.

For the boom underside fittings I'm thinking of using Ronstan SS plate reinforced slug-type slide fittings, for the mainsheet and kicker attachments. I don't know how I'm going to do the gooseneck yet, nor the reefing blocks/cleats, but I'm hoping the sailmaker will be able to help if I buy the fittings from them.

I know this doesn't give much info. I had the fittings all selected and lost the web pages. Der. I've got a couple of weeks to find them again online while the sailmaker gets to my order.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The sail has been altered and I'm hoping to pick it up this week. Now I have to get organised and finish the boom. I wish I knew what I was doing

Photos to follow

Sent from my super secure secret squirrel device
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post

. I wish I knew what I was doing

Photos to follow

I seem to recall that you've managed rather well so far.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

He has but you know how it is with tinkering ...... Boom!

Rick

I picked up the modified mainsail. Very happy with the work and the advice from the sailmaker. I took the new boom section to their loft when I picked up the mainsail and they are working up a parts list and price for the boom fittings, hopefully within my budget. Getting their input to rigging the boom is very well worthwhile and may save me lots of tinkering time.
    Paperback E-book

Great!

Rick

Loafing around on Arawana, listening to redneck music. Not actually doing any of the jobs that are calling out "Oi!" at me. I could get to like doing just this.

Paperback E-book

That's what I mostly do on Balia, although without the music. Unless it's from one of the houses. Astounds me the noise that people make in such a high density residential area.

Loafing around on Arawana, listening to redneck music. Not actually doing any of the jobs that are calling out "Oi!" at me. I could get to like doing just this.
    Jealous, very jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That's what I mostly do on Balia, although without the music. Unless it's from one of the houses. Astounds me the noise that people make in such a high density residential area.
    They have to drown out Bruce's redneck music.

Rick

Fat chance of drowning me out. Or just drowning me. I've given fate all the chances it needs over the years and strangely I'm still here.

I've been writing reviews of businesses, locations and products on the online page deckee.com. It's a crowd sourced review site run by a small group of Aus sailing people including Jessica Watson. Unfortunately my reviews include the almost obligatory typos that find their way into all my posts.

Apparently I've been dubbed a 'pro' and I don't yet know if that's a reflection of the quality of the reviews, quantity of them, or 'oarish nature of my online presence. Whatever.

Paperback E-book

Okay, here's the photos I said I'd send you Bruce:

This is Masina's gooseneck

Boom.jpg

And this is the other end

Boom end 2.jpg

Rick

Thanks Rick. Very helpful.

Paperback E-book

I should point out that the forked pin that runs into the front of the boom is held in place by a flange and fancy plastic washer so that the boom can roll to about 90 deg either way. The pin sits in a fancy plastic tube to avoid interaction between the bronze and aluminium.

Rick

Rick do your clew reefing lines go internal, or do they run forward along the outside of the boom, and if so how do you keep them from decapitating you in a tack or gybe?

At the front end,is that a clew hook hanging down? And what's that ss pin through the bronze bit for? And the little red line with a stopper knot?

I answered my question about the ss pin by looking more closely. It allows the boom to angle up and down. Duh.

They're external. They're run up to cleats close to the forward end of the boom so they don't hang down. You can always put a few bungee loops around the boom if the reefing lines hang down. I could run them inside the boom but I don't see any reason to so far.

I have the reefing winches well forward too.

Rick

At the front end,is that a clew hook hanging down? And what's that ss pin through the bronze bit for? And the little red line with a stopper knot?
    Yes, that's a clew hook. The SS pin allows the boom to swing up and down - the bit coming out of the boom is forked. The red knot is the forward end of the outhaul system. I have a couple of blocks inside for mechanical advantage and I set the whole thing up so that it can be removed/repaired reasonably easily. The outhaul is adjusted with a line that exits the boom near the vang and goes to a cleat there. I don't have any cleats on the boom over the cockpit.

Rick

I answered my question about the ss pin by looking more closely. It allows the boom to angle up and down. Duh.
    Don't worry, it's the photo! When i looked at the photo yesterday, I wondered how the boom swings up and down for a little while! Duh indeed!

Rick

New Cal next year ? Do the same at Isle of pines perhaps.

Yes, that's a clew hook. The SS pin allows the boom to swing up and down - the bit coming out of the boom is forked. The red knot is the forward end of the outhaul system. I have a couple of blocks inside for mechanical advantage and I set the whole thing up so that it can be removed/repaired reasonably easily. The outhaul is adjusted with a line that exits the boom near the vang and goes to a cleat there. I don't have any cleats on the boom over the cockpit.

Rick
    Loops of line is bad. Absence of cleats is good. My dad put a couple of cleats on his boom, conveniently located right over the cockpit. Quite a low boom. Bloody near killed me last time we went out. And you won't mind those loops of line until one gets you. I can't see any reason to run them outside when it's possible to have them inside. Just need a couple of sheave blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    New Cal next year ? Do the same at Isle of pines perhaps.
    I like the way you're thinking!

Paperback E-book

I don't think there's anything wrong with running them inside. I just don't have any loops of line. But I'll watch it particularly next time we're out and see if I ought to change it. It would be easy to do. For Bruce, setting up a new boom, I should think it would be best to run them inside as you suggest - a no brainer!

Rick

I like the way you're thinking!

Don't trust him! It seems only yesterday he declared himself a home body .....

Rick

I should think it would be best to run them inside as you suggest - a no brainer!

Rick
    I see what you did there.

Did you laugh your head off?

Rick

Actually I was quite ropable at first, because I think it an important safety issue. But then I thought, what the heck, it's just a joke. boom boom.

Just leting you know that when I took my mainsail to the sailmaker he and the other bloke that works in the loft were struggling with a boom with internal lines. Both end caps were off, the boom was tilted to give some assistance to the lines they were trying to feed back into the internal pulley/block system. Both were sweating and swearing profusely. The internal line system had run amock in use and the owner had sent it to the pros because he had trouble fixing it himself. When we discussed my new boom setup we agreed to run the reefing lines external.
    Paperback E-book

I can see how an internal magic box could get difficult. But a single line entering at the back and exiting via a block near the front? Well it's your boat I guess so whatever works for you is right.