Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2534353645 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,225 of 2123

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Well done, Bruce. Oh to be motoring into Jervis Bay.

I think we're in Huskisson, and we're definitely on a public mooring. Porridge for breakfast then a sleep.

Yesterday started out too light for the lashed-tiller self steering, then when the wind came round there was a good bit where the sheet to tiller thing worked. But not for long. As the wind came up it was too much for the boat to react to, and I steered the last bits where it was blowing a bit strong. We hot up over nine knots with the help of the current. It was very hard work keeping it all together. A bit like riding a continuous Yamba Bar in the dark. We launched out of hull speed a few times and broke the wave we were on into a foaming avalanche of freezing cold seawater. One slip, and broach, gybe and swing into a death roll cycle. Arawana lay right down a couple of times, but she got back up without breaking or sinking.

So it's time for a snooze, then weather check time, and possibly a hop a bit further down the coast.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Time for a snooze. Okay. Just a quick one. Sounds like twelve hours will just about do it. :-)

Reefing systems? Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Reefing systems? Yikes.
    I had the main rolled down a little, and the no. 2 jib on. Any more than a small roll and the main loses any semblance of sail shape.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Yes, it's a shame that roller reefing is so hopeless. Do you have a trysail Bruce? Or could you run with just the headsail?

Rick

Might be time to bend on that other main. You don't really need any fancy gear to put a reef in if the cringles and reef points are there. Bass Straight is not far away.

Good comments and questions. The spare main has no reefing cringles. I thought it had so I brought it out again, but no. Definitely would have been worthwhile using either headsail only or trisail. Regardless of the weather I'll hoist the trisail next leg. Apparently it has never been flown in anger. If it can contribute to motorsailing, which I am sure it would, it will be a world better than no balancing mainsail and more to the point, a lot less exciting than a slightly rolled main. Depending on the point of sail, the trisail and Yankee or trisail and no 2 Genny seem like good options.

Pity I've slept the day away really, there's work to do.

Paperback E-book

That's OK the sun will come up and tomorrow will be another day.

I reckon you are becoming a master of the understatement.

Well, tomorrow's a good sailing today but it's a narrow window of just one day. Batemans Bay is close but you'd want to be sure not to be caught out as Wednesday brings strong SW for a few days. They're both nice places!

Rick

I've been into Bermagui, I think. Lovely place but not much room for visitors. If it's the place we visited, we ended up alongside a pier in a big motor sailor, and got away with it due to size. I caught an eel there and we all refused to eat the slimey thing.

Paperback E-book

I've heard they've expanded facilities there but I'm not sure. You used to have to raft up to an obliging fishing boat but I suspect it's improved. Probably worth checking before you go. ..... of course!

I think if you're not leaving til tomorrow, B Bay would be a safer option.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Good comments and questions. The spare main has no reefing cringles. I thought it had so I brought it out again, but no. Definitely would have been worthwhile using either headsail only or trisail. Regardless of the weather I'll hoist the trisail next leg. Apparently it has never been flown in anger. If it can contribute to motorsailing, which I am sure it would, it will be a world better than no balancing mainsail and more to the point, a lot less exciting than a slightly rolled main. Depending on the point of sail, the trisail and Yankee or trisail and no 2 Genny seem like good options.

well if you’re gonna work night shifts, you don’t need feel guilty about snoozing the day away.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I did that on Sunday, it was bliss. All that was missing was the munchies...a baked bean jaffle is just not the same as chips and biscuits.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Okay, it does look like facilities at Bermagui have improved/expanded. Cost is $30 p/n. Contact number {office hours) is 64934575. It's a small harbour - I don't think there ate anchorages or any public moorings. I'm not sure if there are any moorings at all.

As above, I'd go to B Bay though, and wait for a window for Eden, or stay where you are, if it's nice. Good seafood in B Bay .... and Bermagui!

Rick

Looking at the weather beyond Eden there's no rush to get into Twofold Bay yet. There are several public moorings and public toilets around Jervis Bay so I'll see how Arawana goes with the trisail and jibs combinations, and go to Eden in the next window, which could be this coming weekend.

Paperback E-book

I reckon that's a really good plan. You don't really get a good window until after the weekend for anything beyond Eden anyway. Jervis Bay's a big area of open water - you could spend the next few days exploring and testing out various rigs and steering setups. The system building up over the next few days is going to develop into a big Tasman low. That'll kick up a big swell. Waiting for a window that gets you to Eden might be your best option. I can think of many worse places to be holed up in than Jervis Bay!

Rick

Woken by the sounds of machine guns. I hope they are using blanks. I guess it's an overnight exercise, it's a bit cold to be out at the firing range before sunrise, which, by the way, was magnificent.

Paperback E-book

Hereyago.

Paperback E-book

Stunning!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Bruce, try stuffing some old clothes, bags, blankets into the partially furled sail, as evenly as possible, then put a couple more turns on it. You need to have some weight on the boom while you do this but not too much. This will help. Probably best done in harbour. Good luck!
    the invisible man........

Top shot mate.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
    Bruce, try stuffing some old clothes, bags, blankets into the partially furled sail, as evenly as possible, then put a couple more turns on it. You need to have some weight on the boom while you do this but not too much. This will help. Probably best done in harbour. Good luck!
    Funny I was thinking exactly this overnight. I've never tried it, but yes, it should work. To go really fancy a hollow pool noodle or the black rubber pipe insulation, with a bit of rope threaded through to secure it for and aft might work. I don't know if there's any shops nearby.

Superb photo. Thank you. :-)

It has been a while since I shared a nice food foto, so here's a cruising hobo lunch for you.

A ripe avocado mashed with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and the juice from a half of a lime. Vita Wheat biscuits. Venison prosciutto. Slicelettes of vanilla slice. $10

Paperback E-book

I've discovered a bit about where I'm staying. I'm actually at Vincentia, not Husskison. There is a public dunny ashore adjacent to my mooring. The bay here is full of life, and so far I've seen whales, dolphins, a turtle, a heap of sea birds, a warship, a helicopter, a Coles supermarket full of happy shoppers, a happy hippie sitting outside the Hippy Shop, a female butcher who sold me some meat for a pasta sauce tonight and some dried meat for later. She seemed to be a jerky expert, at least that's what she sold me. I've never eaten jerky before so who knows if it will reconstitute itself into meat for a sauce. If not I'll have a go at eating it. How bad can it be?

Everyone here seems to be in a daze, mesmerised by the actuality of living in a patch of paradise. Or maybe the Hippie Shop stays open by selling munchie biscuits. Who knows?

Paperback E-book

There are seals too.

Rick

Well Rick you were good with your advice a couple of days ago that it would be good to be off the water by Tuesday night. It is already going gusty with that nasty whip in it. It doesn't feel like sailing weather.

It's good on a mooring in here so far. Quiet, no other boaties hustling for space, friendly people ashore. I tidied up the headsails into bags, and got the new main off and stowed. There's still time to get the tiny main on and up for a look if I defer afternoon coffee and cake. Choices.

It might have been the snout of a seal that I saw this morning. I hope it returns for an identification tomorrow.

Paperback E-book

So remind us armchair cruisers at home, what sails do you have aboard? Looking forward to more My Galley Rules shots if you are staying put for a day or two with that new stove.

Sails on board:
    New mainsail, I.e. what I've been using.
    Older mainsail. Just like new mainsail, but not as new. Still appears to be in good condition, but I've only seen it unpacked on the lawns at Coomera, not flown.
    Trisail main. Luff reaches the spreaders. Never been used.
    No. 1 Genoa, looks like a reasonable overlap. Not new, but condition not too bad for a cruising Genoa.
    No.2 Genoa. What I've been using most. Same condition as No. 1.
    Yankee cut jib. I've used it a couple of times. Same condition as above. This has a reef point and in the smaller configuration is pretty much storm jib size.

Not on board is a spinnaker.

Paperback E-book

No reef points in the old main?

Sails on board:
    New mainsail, I.e. what I've been using.
    Older mainsail. Just like new mainsail, but not as new. Still appears to be in good condition, but I've only seen it unpacked on the lawns at Coomera, not flown.
    Trisail main. Luff reaches the spreaders. Never been used.
    No. 1 Genoa, looks like a reasonable overlap. Not new, but condition not too bad for a cruising Genoa.
    No.2 Genoa. What I've been using most. Same condition as No. 1.
    Yankee cut jib. I've used it a couple of times. Same condition as above. This has a reef point and in the smaller configuration is pretty much storm jib size.

Not on board is a spinnaker.

You need a junk rig mate, all in one sail.

John Welsford