Page 1 of 93 121151 ... LastLast

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Voyages of Arawana

Arawana is a Cheoy Lee Taipan 28. This thread is a narrative log of cruising voyages, starting with her delivery trip from Southport, Queensland, Australia to Adelaide, South Australia, by Frankk Fatt.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Hooray, I'll be following along. For those not in the know, the prequel can be found hidden in amongst the weather and surgery reports and other miscellaea in the Antipodean Boats thread. This voyage definitely deserves a thread of its own.

I look forward to it Bruce. If you call in to anywhere near us (Port Phillip or Western Port) I'll drive down to see you.

Bon Voyage Frankk!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Out over the bar and heading sort of south, abeam of the high rise towers of the Gold Coast. No. 2 jib and full main are up in a building SE breeze.

At this time doing 4 knots with the tiller lashed with bungee. Really on a very shy reach rather than hard on the wind. Glorious sailing, engine off.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Woohoo!!! This is terrific news, I’m feeling the excitement of that first sail on your own new boat Bruce - there’s nothing quite like it!!

I can’t wait to hear how she’s performed, how she feels under sail and how all the gear/sails/rigging etc are in action. Are you towing the dinghy?

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Yes, towing the dinghy. She sails fine for a cruising yacht. She feels like all the good bits of all the other boats I've sailed. Safe, solid, a boat to go places in.

It took all of ten minutes to tweak the self steering. No doubt there will be refinements later, but I haven't touched the tiller since the first half an hour.

I'm trolling a lure. Nothing caught yet, but the swell is causing me to think of other things than food right now, a short, sloppy, choppy swell.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 10-03-2017 at 05:55 AM.
    Paperback E-book

I'm onboard this one as well...the thread that is, not the boat.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I'd intended to motor sail and keep the SOG up but I'm playing with the rig, tacking, self steering etc so I may be later to Iluka than forecast, and Port Max is probably out of the picture now.

Paperback E-book

12.38: Bruce I can see a yacht going past Tweed on the Bar cam, is that you?
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

12.38: A yacht going past Tweed on the Bar cam.

John Welsford

Woo hoo! Tourists be damned.

Sorry mate, I'm miles north of you still. The wind is up and down and veering so progress is very slow as far as VMG.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Sorry mate, I'm miles north of you still. The wind is up and down and veering so progress is very slow as far as VMG.

Not you then. I'll look again around 1430.

John Welsford

I've dropped all sails and started Yiayia up. VMR Point Danger were looking for me. I'll go sailing again when the wind starts behaving. Meanwhile, motoring towards Iluka.

Paperback E-book

I've dropped all sails and started Yiayia up. VMR Point Danger were looking for me. I'll go sailing again when the wind starts behaving. Meanwhile, motoring towards Iluka.

Did they say why? It’s not as if you are overdue anywhere - but there was an unidentified older guy found in the surf this morning at Coolangatta (or somewhere), perhaps they were trying to account for everyone that they know is on the water.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

When I left Seaway this morning they handed my run sheet, including ETA Tweed, to the Point Danger folk. They are very organised.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Did they say why? It’s not as if you are overdue anywhere - but there was an unidentified older guy found in the surf this morning at Coolangatta (or somewhere), perhaps they were trying to account for everyone that they know is on the water.
    http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...ad5a9d2d54cb24
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I'm still reccomending you download the coastguard tracking app.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I look forward to it Bruce. If you call in to anywhere near us (Port Phillip or Western Port) I'll drive down to see you.
    WHAT? Shame on you Jeff! Shouldn't that be paddle or sail?

Great - a new thread! All the best Bruce and we look forward to catching you down our way. Let us know when you think you'll be here and I hope we'll be able to sail out to greet you.

Bon voyage!!

Rick

The forecast for Tuesday night is looking a lot less dramatic now than it was, and Wednesday's looking quite good. From Thursday you'll get steady to strong SE though, through to Sunday at least so a trip up the Clarence would be good if the bridge at Harwood wasn't out of action. Iluka and Yamba are nice places though so all good if you need to wait.

Rick

When I left Seaway this morning they handed my run sheet, including ETA Tweed, to the Point Danger folk. They are very organised.

That would be normal practice as you traveled down the coast.

John Welsford

So, I can't help that this will upset some, but it has become the dominant aspect of this voyage, ten hours in. This, by the way, is also why I don't use the coastguard app.

On leaving Seaway I gave all vessel and voyage details to VMR, which is good. I was asked for an ETA at Tweed, and given the sea and wind, my learning about this boat etc, I got there late. They rang my phone, which is on the Navy table downstairs, and I missed their call. I caught their next radio call and explained that in the conditions I'd be reluctant to commit to an ETA at the next turning point, Cape Byron, but they insisted.

It's now 3 1/2 hours before the Cape Byron radio schedule time. So far I've had a phone call from a station further down the Coast from that wondering why I am not there yet, and demand I commit to an ETA there. I was firm in not committing this time, and said I'd be better prepared to do that when I called in at Cape Byron. They demanded I phone Sydney and clarify what I'm up to. I explained that as a solo sailor quite a distance off shore I would not be able to do that.

So, Sydney headquarters just rang. The person on the line was very confused about my vessel, my voyage plan, the conditions at sea, and my inability to drop everything and meet their needs. Did I mention the four fishing trawlers and the commercial ship I didn't hit during this?

I'm supposed to be incognito. Sydney VMR are now calling my wife in Adelaide. I'm supposed to be reducing my anxiety and depression. Did I mention I'm screaming mad?

The pity is, VMR and voluntary Coast Guard units provide one of the most valuable services in Australia. The don't have to call and harass a sailor dawdling down to Iluka, nor his wife in Adelaide.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 10-03-2017 at 06:03 AM.
    Paperback E-book

Sorry to hear that Bruce. Maybe give them an eta several hours after you expect it to be.

John Welsford

Days

Paperback E-book

(I intend to dawdle deliberately, and if I find a nice secluded spot I intend to drop the pick until the food runs out)

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 10-03-2017 at 06:03 AM.
    Paperback E-book

The best you can do is stick to your guns with them Bruce and reiterate that you are a cruising yacht subject to the wind and tide and that you are “cruising” and not a motor cruiser steering a straight course on a delivery. In regards to an ETA give them a time that is a start worrying time, rather than actual ETA.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Actually, now that they know you are out there you are on their radar - so that Coastguard tracking app may be the best way to get them to leave you alone.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

We've had VERY mixed experiences with Marine Rescue - great and dreadful! Dawdling is good! Sounds like you're getting along alright out there anyway Bruce!

If you want to avoid having MR freak Dinah out, you can always give them a different contact. You're welcome to give them mine, if that's any help.

Rick

Ha, alas too late Good idea though.

Stove man has confirmed again that the new metho stove is going to be shipped to NSW. I did manage to make a hot moccha coffee this evening on one of Romana's stoves. Delightful. Yiayia hasn't missed a beat so far, chugging into a horrible sea. Wind right on the nose for ages now.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 10-03-2017 at 06:06 AM.
    Paperback E-book

Unfortunately, wind on the nose is pretty much all you're going to get this week, unless it dies enough and you get morning westerlies. You might get that on Wednesday and maybe a bit tomorrow but it's more likely that you'll have continuing SE, sorry to say!

At least the swell is down. Be aware though that the swell is very likely to build later in the week. If you're out in that then Coffs and Port Stephens are the only entrances that are safe in big swell. As if you didn't know that already ....

Rick

Please continue to assume I don't know that already

Paperback E-book

What a pity VMR or whatever they are called are being asshats. They can and do provide a valuable service, but can also be a bit dads army and let their desk bound procedures take over everything. I've never had the sort of issues you describe, but then I've never told them when I'm leaving, where I'm going and when to expect me there. I think that all smacks of bad seamanship and creates unnecessary expectations and anxiety.

Speaking of hats, I just lost a cap, a crocheted beanie my daughter made me, and a head light, all at once. There's a hint of Westerly in the air so the sails are up, Yiayia is resting, and I'm playing at self steering strings in the dark.

Paperback E-book

I suspect the bureaucracy think like accountants in this matter bruce. I wonder how many of them have any experience under sail?

Now I do venture out a way into Bass Strait in the kayak when conditions are right. It's winter, they are unlikely to be right.
    So I'll have to chase you up if and when you come ashore.