Page 16 of 95 FirstFirst ... 61516172666 ... LastLast

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    South Sumatra. Oh there's stories... but only over an ale, or three
    I'm due for an ale.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

By crikey I've been clever tonight. Yesterday I bought a big round ball of a solar light fitting, the type you fix to a wall or gutter, and last night it lit up the cockpit with a beaut party light ambience. Tonight it's cold and gloomy outside and muggy inside, so I brought the big white ball of happiness inside the cabin. What a great idea that was!

So, inspired by the light from my big white ball, I altered a pair of trousers I bought at the op shop the other day. I bought three pairs, all of which fit nicely, except one pair was too long. Not any more! I located Arawana's sewing kit and got to work. Snip snip snip. Pin pin pin. Sew sew sew. And like magic they fit! I did an inspirational job of stitching up the hems. So good, in fact, that I did them with white thread so you can see all the details. On black trousers. It looks very hobo-pirate-yachty, and I'm confident that by summer all the local youths will be wearing this new, bold nautically themed fashion.

You heard it here first.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm afraid the name escapes me just now but when I sailed Balia down we found a lovely old style boatyard with a few short term moorings available at a reasonable price. I think cruising boats do tend to get away with breaking the rules and anchoring in one of the bay's somewhere too. It would be good if I could remember a name I suppose

I think it was one of the two Birchgrove marinas. Around near iron cove bridge - they do have short term moorings.

However, though the harbour is nice it's also very busy, and unless you go up under Spit Bridge it's highly unlikely you'll get a good nights sleep - constant movement. Pittwater is a more relaxing anchorage with great bays with public moorings and safe anchorages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Pittwater is a more relaxing anchorage with great bays with public moorings and safe anchorages.
    +1 sunday afternoon at The Newport very cool. Plus Barrenjoey Marine Electrics just around the corner

Quote. I'm due for an ale.

Then this.....

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    By crikey I've been clever tonight. Yesterday I bought a big round ball of a solar light fitting, the type you fix to a wall or gutter, and last night it lit up the cockpit with a beaut party light ambience. Tonight it's cold and gloomy outside and muggy inside, so I brought the big white ball of happiness inside the cabin. What a great idea that was!

So, inspired by the light from my big white ball, I altered a pair of trousers I bought at the op shop the other day. I bought three pairs, all of which fit nicely, except one pair was too long. Not any more! I located Arawana's sewing kit and got to work. Snip snip snip. Pin pin pin. Sew sew sew. And like magic they fit! I did an inspirational job of stitching up the hems. So good, in fact, that I did them with white thread so you can see all the details. On black trousers. It looks very hobo-pirate-yachty, and I'm confident that by summer all the local youths will be wearing this new, bold nautically themed fashion.

You heard it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    I think it was one of the two Birchgrove marinas. Around near iron cove bridge - they do have short term moorings.

However, though the harbour is nice it's also very busy, and unless you go up under Spit Bridge it's highly unlikely you'll get a good nights sleep - constant movement. Pittwater is a more relaxing anchorage with great bays with public moorings and safe anchorages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think you are right, and I agree, Sydney Harbour is a bit of a mad house.

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    +1 sunday afternoon at The Newport very cool. Plus Barrenjoey Marine Electrics just around the corner
    My last Sunday afternoon visit to The Newport scored me a $10k cheque from my insurance company (although I still need to fix the roof and secure a new bonnet and bootlid for the M5). We spotted a BIG hailstorm whilst sitting back in the beer garden. All 4 of the family's cars got done by it... probably $20k all up.

Definitely worth you visiting though, Bruce.

I'm fairly sure that we dropped the pick in The Basin, back in 2000.... although not very far in, as it was dark when we got there. I remember we copped a bit of rolling from passing traffic, but not too bad.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Bruce - I see two books in your future, with one being a master chefs guide to cooking gourmet meals on a hobo cat food tin stove (or whatever it is). That will be a world wide success.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I now have a new fuel filter and a spare! Thank you Repco Iluka/Yamba.

So, doing more reading, and looking more carefully, I have come to the conclusion that there is an issue with Arawana's exhaust system. There is a smallish kink in a soft pipe, and I'm now thinking that the back pressure is contributing to it being slow to start, and to some of the white smoke she loves to blow up my nose, especially while warming up.

Comments please.

Paperback E-book

No leaks and no water in oil. I wouldn't know a good fanbelt from a crook one. Hoses look OK.

The kink is a fair way downstream in the exhaust line. I'd like to rain to stop for a while so I can work head down in the lazarette in some sort of comfort.

Paperback E-book

Tomorrow is my last day at the marina. I've paid up a weekly fee, very reasonable at $240. Several yachts are talking about leaving Thursday. We'll see what the bar says. I'll go wait on the pick in the Iluka basin.

Paperback E-book

A kink in the exhaust hose is generally a bad thing. But I reckon unlikely to be the cause of hard starting. It will create excess back pressure, but that's more when the engine is running at higher revs, and has more exhaust gas to push out. When it's just starting it should fire up unaffected by any exhaust restriction short of a total blockage. Old age and slightly low compression will cause hard starting.

It was a false alarm anyway. No kink, just a slight flattening but not enough to really change the cross sectional area.

Paperback E-book

Sometimes a lightly tightened hose clip in the area that has a slight flattening will encourage the hose to remain round.

Have you tried giving the engine an 'Italian tune' - full revs under load for say 10 minutes ( just check your marina lines are secure). Diesels like to be worked hard. Hold a bucket under the exhaust outlet , should be about 1-2 buckets of water per minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    Sometimes a lightly tightened hose clip in the area that has a slight flattening will encourage the hose to remain round.

Have you tried giving the engine an 'Italian tune' - full revs under load for say 10 minutes ( just check your marina lines are secure). Diesels like to be worked hard. Hold a bucket under the exhaust outlet , should be about 1-2 buckets of water per minute.
    Thanks Neil, no I haven't done that yet.

Paperback E-book

White smoke whilst warming up is most likely to be low compression... meaning the engine wants a rebuild.

My 4-53 Detroits on Grantala would fill The Gut (near Brooklyn) up with white smoke when I started them from cold, back in 2000. They'd had their prior rebuilds in 1968. Since the rebuilds in 2001, no smoke. Done when the Aussie dollar was at it's lowest ... somewhere near or below 50c, IIRC. Cost me a small fortune to rebuild them.

The trick to starting the Detroits when they're a bit knackered is to spray in some WD-40 through the aircleaner whilst starting. I can't say if that'd work on your engine.... but it might be worth asking someone who knows about yours.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    There's no problem anchoring in Sydney Harbour. The problem is that you're not allowed to leave the boat while it's anchored.
    Rick
    I've heard that, but where is it written?

White smoke whilst warming up is most likely to be low compression... meaning the engine wants a rebuild.

My 4-53 Detroits on Grantala would fill The Gut (near Brooklyn) up with white smoke when I started them from cold, back in 2000. They'd had their prior rebuilds in 1968. Since the rebuilds in 2001, no smoke. Done when the Aussie dollar was at it's lowest ... somewhere near or below 50c, IIRC. Cost me a small fortune to rebuild them.

The trick to starting the Detroits when they're a bit knackered is to spray in some WD-40 through the aircleaner whilst starting. I can't say if that'd work on your engine.... but it might be worth asking someone who knows about yours.
    Propane might have worked too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Tonight's dinner is super tender fillet of Teraglin served on egg fried rice.

Paperback E-book

Thank you to those who have expressed approval of the meals I've shared here. I'm going to describe how this was prepared.

Fresh fish. I've been buying mine here in Yamba from Sarika Seafood. It comes straight off the boats and you can watch the catch being cleaned, then buy it and cook it the same day.

Teraglin is a delicious fish served fresh. This fillet was marinated in lots of lemon juice with pepper and salt, for a half a hour. It was then fried and seared over a hot cat food tin cooker in a small fry pan, and the marination juices, plus some soy sauce were added. A lid went over the top and the heat was doused after a minute. It was left or another two minutes to poach. The results was a fillet cooked through, and so tender it couldn't be picked up to serve. It collapsed, as it shows in the photo.

The fish was served on an Uncle Ben's Egg Fried Rice bed. The rice was added to 50ml of water boiling in a small saucepan over a Trangia stove, with a simmer ring on the flame to make it barely warm up. It was stirred quite a lot, and cooked with the lid on the saucepan. After arranging the fish over the rice the cooking juices from the fish were poured on.

It was simply delicious. Sweets will be a piece of fresh fruit.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 10-03-2017 at 09:50 PM.
    Paperback E-book

And my thanks to autokerreckt for the garbling of the text.

Paperback E-book

Ah the Matt Preston of Yamba.

Bruce what are your menus for at sea will you pre cook some delights or revert to canned muck?

Perhaps you have autoWrecked installed Bruce?
    Grateful Dead

I'm impressed that your'e eating from a proper plate - not straight out of the pan

I have (I think) neglected to comment so far on the meals. So here it is: I love the meal photos! Keep them coming. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    Ah the Matt Preston of Yamba.

Bruce what are your menus for at sea will you pre cook some delights or revert to canned muck?
    The longest leg I plan todo is early the days, most being either an overnight, as the occasional two days. It will depend on how well the Maxi behaves a sea in a small boat, but most likely I'll be eating muesli, hard biscuits, fruit, cake, cuppa soup and possibly other ready to heat soups and stews under way, with tea, coffee, instant hot chocolate, and cold cordials with vitamin c in them.

With another crew member on board it would be worth cooking more on the run.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    I have (I think) neglected to comment so far on the meals. So here it is: I love the meal photos! Keep them coming. :-)
    I do so agree.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Agreed, so very civilised !
    Grateful Dead

2minute noodles are not bad at sea. And it's surprising how easy and satisfying a scambled egg or two can be. Or hard boiled in harbour, peel and eat at sea any time. A terrific standby. Years ago pretty well our whole primary school went on a privately organised holiday to Tanna in Vanuatu. There were about 30 of us, it was a small school. Every morning before we set off on adventures I'd boil up 3 or 4 dozen eggs. They were a great hit amongst kids and parents alike.

I dragged out my soup mug to take on the boat along with my jaffle
    iron.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Sticky rice. Great travel food. Lasts for days. I'll pick up some in an Asian market if I'm going somewhere remote on the bike, in case I strike trouble.

Sticky rice. Great travel food. Lasts for days. I'll pick up some in an Asian market if I'm going somewhere remote on the bike, in case I strike trouble.
    I wonder if there's somewhere in Iluka that has sticky rice. It's a long shot, but worth a fossick.

Meanwhile it's 05:30 in Yamba and it's dark outside. Inside, however, is lit up like a Kurosawa movie set by the big white ball of happiness.

Paperback E-book

Anchored off Whiting Beach just inside the entrance on the southern side, within view of the bar, which is pumping big water. The tide here is running at least 3 knots so all chain and some nylon out. The wiring would have to swim like spawning salmon here to take a bait so I suspect the naming is a bit of vernacular.

WD40 made no improvement to the ease of starting Yiayia thus morning. She's an old and creeky granny of a donk. But given some sweet talk, she'll still smile and take you for a dance.

Paperback E-book

Are you doing the decompression thing, getting her spinning good and fast, then dropping the decompression lever? Also experiment with throttle setting, some insist on full throttle to fire up, others not.

Problem I had was dirty commutator on the starter motor. I stripped it down and cleaned and the difference it made was stunning.

John Welsford