Page 34 of 89 FirstFirst ... 243334354484 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,190 of 3112

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Sydney must be the major milestone, well done.

You've got a handful of nasty headlands coming up. I'm sure your fellow Ozzies will help you choose weather windows.

Are you going all the way to Adelaide?
    Last edited by Hwyl; 07-14-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Good to hear you made Sydney Did you have to do a lot of hand steering?

I made a repair to the power cable to the starter control just in time to not overstay the limit on the public mooring at Balmoral. I made up some sleep, 12 hours of it. So now I'm hunting fish and chips. Isn't there a chip shop in Watson's Bay?

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I think Doyle's is in Watsons Bay. They do fish too.

Rick

Ah yes. Frankk does Doyle's. What could possibly go wrong?

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Booked in for 1 on the terrace. Bring it.

Paperback E-book

Be careful getting back into the dinghy.

Holy moley, this is good.

Paperback E-book

When are you heading off Bruce? You've got good conditions now til Wednesday - you'll want to be in port somewhere on Tuesday night in my opinion. Glad you're enjoying Doyle's - I've never been there but it has a good rep.

Rick

Its good when someone else cooks for a change Bruce.

Yes, it was good. Call me Frankk. Bruce would be in trouble by now.

There were these two mermaids at Doyle's. They were interested in my dinghy which was parked just outside my window at Doyles, so we got to talking about boats. One mermaid has a car. I almost talked them into driving me to Rose Bay Woolworths tomorrow, but I think they were fishing for a different kind of elderly sailing boat captain, e.g. not a hobo, but lots of money. I gave them a tip. Ring the local sailing school, I said. Sail around on a First 40, I said. Meet new friends, I said. I think they were expecting a cash tip.

The food was better than I can do. There's no point in pretending. The staff are excellent at their jobs, the location is hard to beat. It's not cheap, in any sense, but it's so very, very good.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    When are you heading off Bruce? You've got good conditions now til Wednesday - you'll want to be in port somewhere on Tuesday night in my opinion. Glad you're enjoying Doyle's - I've never been there but it has a good rep.

Rick
    Yes, I'm watching the weather. I have fuel and water and need to stock up on food in case I get locked in at Jervis Bay or Eden and can't get ashore. I'm going shopping in the morning and may go early afternoon. I have quite a few drop-out options along the South coast, but expect at least Jervis Bay before that weather comes in. If I can rig up a jib-sheet-to-tiller rig Eden is possible by then, but realistically I think it's a job for a couple of days while waiting in Eden for a break to go to Refuge Cove. I must have it in place before leaving Eden though.

Paperback E-book

I've grabbed the components for a fairly simple sheet-to-tiller self steering system, for off-wind sailing.

On the leeward side a loop is thrown into the sheet, then the sails are trimmed to the course. Then a snap shackle attaches to the loop, and transfers the sheet control to a line that goes through a block, across the cockpit, and through another block and finally to the tiller. This provides a strong force to the tiller. Also on the leeward side is a loop of bungee chord that provides a centring force to help balance the tiller forces from the sheet.

If the boat steers further downwind the forces from the sheet reduce, and the bungee, plus the boats natural helm balance, bring the tiller to leeward and steer back to the set course. If the boat goes further cross wind the sheet force increases, and the line pulls the tiller to windward steering back off wind.

For the purposes of setting it up I've put a loop with a bowline over the tiller, however a tiller clutch or some other way to adjust the steering line length is needed. Maybe some kind of tricksie knot I haven't thought of yet.

Paperback E-book

I don't have faith in sheet to tiller systems, but some say they work, so good luck. I don't know the name of it, but there is a knot I use for a sliding adjustable hitch arrangement. Basically a clove hitch around the standing part, but with an extra hitch back around the wrong side. If that makes any sense at all. The alternative might be the old boy scout guy rope adjuster, a piece of wood about 6 or 7 inches long. The standing part passes through a hole in one end, the return passes through the other and is finished with a stopper knot. The angle formed when strain goes on it creates sufficient friction to hold things in place.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Yes, it was good. Call me Frankk. Bruce would be in trouble by now.

There were these two mermaids at Doyle's. They were interested in my dinghy which was parked just outside my window at Doyles, so we got to talking about boats. One mermaid has a car. I almost talked them into driving me to Rose Bay Woolworths tomorrow, but I think they were fishing for a different kind of elderly sailing boat captain, e.g. not a hobo, but lots of money. I gave them a tip. Ring the local sailing school, I said. Sail around on a First 40, I said. Meet new friends, I said. I think they were expecting a cash tip.

The food was better than I can do. There's no point in pretending. The staff are excellent at their jobs, the location is hard to beat. It's not cheap, in any sense, but it's so very, very good.

The Sailmaster tavern needs a little beach like that, or at least a pontoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I don't have faith in sheet to tiller systems, but some say they work, so good luck. I don't know the name of it, but there is a knot I use for a sliding adjustable hitch arrangement. Basically a clove hitch around the standing part, but with an extra hitch back around the wrong side. If that makes any sense at all. The alternative might be the old boy scout guy rope adjuster, a piece of wood about 6 or 7 inches long. The standing part passes through a hole in one end, the return passes through the other and is finished with a stopper knot. The angle formed when strain goes on it creates sufficient friction to hold things in place.
    I'll try that hitch. It sounds like the job. I like that it would leave a big loop over the tiller so ditching it would be quick.

Paperback E-book

I googled running hitch, and then highwaymans hitch. A bit different from what I use, but could be good for you.

Phil' the knot you're looking for is the rolling hitch, also known as the tautline hitch. Bruce may be better off with the prussic hitch.

Not quite. I do a normal clove hitch, then come back over both parts with another hitch, back toward where the strain is coming from. It might not even be a real knot for all I know, but it seems to work.

Motor sailing south outside Sydney heads. Targets are Jervis Bay and Eden.

Paperback E-book

2 knots of breeze, slow going . It gets a bit trickier around the corner from Eden. https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...52.644,-33.592
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Off again already! Hope that motor is behaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Off again already! Hope that motor is behaving.
    Yes, sweet as pie. I hope to give it a rest soon when the wind goes round to nw and picks up.

Paperback E-book

Bon voyage!

Rick

Fair winds, Bruce!

Enjoy Bruce !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Sou-easterly down my way, very light. Dead calm yesterday. Our major prevailing winds for ever used to be westerlies, but for some time now the biggest influence is from the east. It's done some interesting things to the bars of what were up till the 1960's accessible rivers, even small ports.

Best of luck with Youngs Sliding Cow hitch on the tiller line too.

First quarter of this planned leg done. Quite slow to start, waiting for the wind. Its here now though and causing havoc with the self steering. We're on a fast reach, approaching Beecroft Peninsula in full dark conditions. When the boat speed goes up over 7 knots it becomes necessary to watch and intervene to prevent a high speed broaching gybe. The new chainplates have had a bit of a belting.

Not sure about going on to Eden in this. There is quite a bit of shipping around, and it's not really feasible to grab a nap when the prop is screaming and the risk of gybing is so great. I'll be at a good spot to decide when the sun comes up - the entrance to Jervis Bay.

Paperback E-book

Good morning Bruce - how was your night and how are you doing?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Hi Bruce, I'd be in favour of getting some sleep - two nights without is too much. Tonight and tomorrow give you good WNW - easier for your self-steering. You might make Eden but Batemans Bay and Bermagui are other good options.

Rick

I'm going OK, and right now motoring into Jervis Bay looking for a sandy spit to drop the anchor. Last night was hard, cold work involving impossible speeds. There must be a good current down here!

Paperback E-book

Yes, good current according to the BOM chart. The bad news is that you're about to lose it and a bit further south, you'll have it against you. The currents meet head on just south of you. Enjoy the rest!

Rick

Well done Bruce, sounds like the cows would have been sliding all over the deck. Hope you didn't lose any.

Well done Bruce, get some rest and be pleased you are not in Adelaide we are about to get belted by the weather.