Page 33 of 89 FirstFirst ... 233233344383 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,155 of 3111

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Wishing you a pleasant and incident free overnight sail Bruce
    So for do hoob

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    So for do hoob

hoob fo reak
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Fi by hoob!

Rick

Derp, derp! Borken de bork.

Last edited by MattSplatt; 07-13-2017 at 05:07 AM.

I hope Bruce appreciates the thought and effort we're putting into this.

Rick

LOL, Matt beat me to it
    Last edited by epoxyboy; 07-13-2017 at 05:15 AM.
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Looks just like 'im.

You blokes crack me up. Bruce I have been following from afar quietly, but well done mate. I wish I had been home to help you out down at Boatworks but please come back north in a few years and we can sail together.

Mal
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

He's going right around next time , eh Bruce ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

No

I'm on a public mooring at Balmoral Beach. Survived. Top indicated speed 8 knots. Who knows what it really was, but it was fast for this old cruising boat.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Paint the town red (lead) Bruce…………..

Excellent! Well done. :-)

So, no red lead paint, no celebrations. On arrival outside the Heads I tried to start the motor, but no power was getting to the starter motor. Both batteries indicate full charge, no loose connections visible, no blown fuse found. Turning the key usually lights up the Christmas tree, sounds the alarm, and enables the starter button. I was flummoxed by tidal flow and swirling winds, and decided I was more likely to become a temporary hazard to boating, and got a tow in from NSW Police Maritime. Now looking for another marine electrician.

Paperback E-book

:-| Damn those infernal combustion engines.

I stand by my "Excellent! Well done." You got there safely.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    I stand by my "Excellent! Well done." You got there safely.
    Ditto!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    He's going right around next time , eh Bruce ?
    There are reasons why you don’t hear lots of stories about people doing circumnavigations of Australia and why you mostly hear people encouraging other people do do it - rather than doing it themselves.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Well sailed Bruce.
    Check the heavy negative cable connections are tight ( at both battery negative post end and at the engine block). Also IIRC there is an inline fuse holder( 30amp) hidden , possibly wrapped in tape, near the starter motor ,worth checking this as well.
    Cheers

Balmoral's a good spot to be. Easy to catch a bus to Brookvale for marine gear, good cafes etc. I hadn't thought of Balmoral. Anyway, another leg - well done!

I don't really get the circumnavigation thing either. The top end is covered in crocodiles and stingers, the west coast is just too long. I'd rather go to Tonga etc.

Rick

Well done Bruce. Sounds like no power getting to the control panel. Or there's power getting to the panel but a crap starter switch, maybe corrosion, moisture etc. So it doesn't know you've turned the key to the On position. That's all I have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    Well sailed Bruce.
    Check the heavy negative cable connections are tight ( at both battery negative post end and at the engine block). Also IIRC there is an inline fuse holder( 30amp) hidden , possibly wrapped in tape, near the starter motor ,worth checking this as well.
    Cheers
    Neil, you win a cruise of your choice on Arawana, anywhere to anywhere, at a time to suit you.

Yes, there's a fuse. I checked it like a fool. I checked it, it looked fine and I replaced it, and what I didn't do until I read your post was follow the cable and see where it was supposed to be attached. Bingo. Hanging in air, next to a connector that has no wire in it. A quick check... Huzzah!

Paperback E-book

I meant to say also, wow that's fast, she must be a slippery little devil of a thing once she gets going!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I meant to say also, wow that's fast, she must be a slippery little devil of a thing once she gets going!
    I have to admit to a bit of concern about how I was going to stop and get the sails down. It's one thing to go hooning along downwind on a frightening broad reach with an increasing wind up the transom. It's something else to get the sails down safely doing the windy-kilty hornpipe of doom all over the foredeck.

Paperback E-book

What is it with Balmoral Beach? Last time we were here in a boat there was a music festival. Now there is a military or police brass band of the highest caliber practicing overlooking the beach! Superb!

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I have to admit to a bit of concern about how I was going to stop and get the sails down. It's one thing to go hooning along downwind on a frightening broad reach with an increasing wind up the transom. It's something else to get the sails down safely doing the windy-kilty hornpipe of doom all over the foredeck.

I had the same feeling once when I sailed my Tumlaren solo from Adelaide to Port Vincent. Not sure how I resolved it, but I lived to tell the tale, as have you.

Someone wise said something like: "Anyone can make a sailboat go. It's stopping that's the real trick"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I had the same feeling once when I sailed my Tumlaren solo from Adelaide to Port Vincent. Not sure how I resolved it, but I lived to tell the tale, as have you.
    Stopping at Port Vincent is an unforgiving business. There's this whole great peninsula thing in the way. Same coming back, especially if you miss the river.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Someone wise said something like: "Anyone can make a sailboat go. It's stopping that's the real trick"
    That's proper wise, that is.

Paperback E-book

That's why the Barrotts did 80,000 miles in Masina without an engine - they couldn't stop.

Rick

Bruce, if you are looking for electrical bits, there is Aquavolt at Roseville. 9417 8455. I bought lots of cable and bits from them. Open tomorrow morning. They probably know mobile marine electricians too, who they can give you contact details for.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

If you go ashore in good clothes, including shoes and socks, there are right ways and wrong ways to get back aboard an inflatable tender to get back to the boat. For example, one of the wrong ways is to push the tender forwards over the sand nose first into the waves. First the waves receed, causing you to have to push further. Second, just as you are saying your polite goodbyes, the waves come back in and snatch away the tender into shallow suds and threaten to steal it entirely. The only realistic thing to do is shout 'Feck' really loudly and run into the suds and jump into the inflatable tender in a pointless effort to minimise the water ingress to your clothing and footwear. At this stage several things may happen, depending on your age, fitness, sense of humour etc. You may find yourself slewing along, standing upright, arms akimbo and looking surprised as your feet speed forwards out from under you. You may find your feet hit solid sand under the boat and you do a crashing shallow dive head first into the shallows. What you won't do is regain your composure, sit down and row away. Not in this lifetime, not yet, anyway.

Paperback E-book

I just saw that in Technicolor slo mo. Sympathy !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Technicolour here too - oh dear! But pleasse tell us that it all happened in time with the brass band playing ..... what were they playing? There are times when summer is more welcome - this might be one of those times!

Rick

Technicolour, 3D with surround sound!

Well done so far Bruce!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Sorry the brass band had gone home for tea. It was dark, but for the damp yellow glow of street lights and the yolk-yellow peep of the moon through unforecast drizzle. I'd caught up with a great mate who lives in Sinny and we had Fish and Chips. Apparently the fush do a Haka but ours didn't for some reason. Anyway, I digress.

I'd hidden the inflatable under the pier against my paranoia and two elderly, well fed gentlemen retrieved it in the dark. One of them, possibly with spooky prescience, decided to remain ashore, and the other put on an exhibition of geriatics (old persons' acrobatics) for the sole entertainment of his chum. Sometimes it's not the size of the audience that matters most.

Paperback E-book

Sounds like cruising. I'm told sometimes a cruiser heads for the beach when anchored in a secluded bay, water gently lapping on the soft white sand, not a footprint to be seen. As said cruiser approaches the beckoning beach, those gentle lapping waves reach up into great white curlers ovwhelming the dinghy slewing it into a broach and unceremoniously tipping the hapless cruiser into a couple of feet of frigid water, then grinding him into the sand with the full weight of the inflatable.