Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38788788
Results 3,046 to 3,056 of 3056

Thread: Voyages of Arawana

Bloody spectacular achievement my friend. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Voyages of Arawana

Well to be honest, this is a bit boring now. I was enjoying going to this thread first thing in the morning.

I'm sure the thread will resume its daily significance when next Bruce unites the lines and Arawakan leaves port for another adventure. What next Bruce, the cruising grounds of Port Lincoln?
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

First I have to register the boat.

I've had three and a half months of serenity with no BS, and two days back I'm ready to blow my brains out or slip the lines and go be a hermit somewhere SW Tasmania.

Honestly, what a half arxed moronic system. More details to follow, but only if I survive this tortuous ordeal.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Still no HIN, but I am required to put new rego numbers on the hull anyway. That's something I guess. I'll put them on this evening.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I still havent done mine in SA. Dont panic.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Still no HIN
    Bruce I've just been through the process on 2 boats one I built myself and one I bought online (inflatable) and lost the invoice.

My view, bureaucracy gone mad.

Step 1. Go to government web site to research process
    Step 2. Spend hour reading the disjointed explanation of stupid process.
    Step 3. Download forms and fill in (another half hour of my life I won't get back)
    Step 4. Go to local MP office to seek out a JP with completed stat decs x 2 to be signed proving ownership of boat I built myself (very obliging staff must say)
    Step 5. Go to registrar with forms and be interrogated about the details of completed forms containing information that will never be needed or referred to again and explain that it is possible to mount the same outboard on multiple boats. (another couple of hours gone). Pay exorbitant registration fee.
    Step 6. Phone Boat Code inspection station to make appointment to have boat inspected and mount HIN plates (which is a sad occasion blemishing my pride and joy)
    Step 7. Arrive at inspection station and argue about mounting point for said plates and pay exorbitant fee for the inconvenience. Leave boat and go back later because mounting plates takes time. (code for we don't want you watching)
    Step 8. Return to pick up boat and leave shaking head about how modern society has complicated my life.

Good luck and suggest you meditate between steps to retain composure
    Last edited by m2c1Iw; 09-21-2017 at 05:30 AM.

Mike, it's maddening.

In Qld I went to the registration office with the (then) owner. He and I asked for advice at the counter, and each filled out a form. We each provided sufficient ID to verify our identities. A simple question was asked of us, that we each in turn intended to sell, and purchase the boat. I paid a paltry $26 registration fee and was given a certificate of registration there and then, making me the registered owner, with my Qld 'domiciled' address being that of the previous owner, where I was in fact staying at the time. It was understood that I would take up SA registration of the boat at my SA address on my arrival in SA. Nothing else was required in Qld, a 15 minute process, no third party 'inspection' and no exhorbitant fees to 'consultants'.

To say the SA process is a farcical failure is understating the truth. It achieves nothing but an ego trip and a fat wallet for a small group of private industry HIN inspectors, whose value add is in the negative, in my experience. All this, to attempt to stop theft, which it clearly does not do.
    Paperback E-book

Anyway we've paid an annual registration fee and I'm in the process of puting on SA registration number stickers, and as far as I'm concerned I have no intention of delaying or hindering my use of the boat due to the recalcitrant intransigence of some puffed up poppinjay who is making a Sunday roast out of a cheese sandwich of a process.
    Paperback E-book

Probably just not one of those things that's worth getting over excited about.

I once knew a QC who, given a hard time over a similar boat issue by private inspectors issued proceedings against the firm, individually and collectively. Problem went away.
    He went on to be a supreme court justice and sadly is now gone. But his yacht lives on.